L120 transmission oil??

Thread: L120 transmission oil??

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    07-27-2017 @ 01:24 PM
    Thanks

L120 transmission oil??

Im sure this is a overly asked question on these forums but what oil is best for the tuff torq k46? I'm replacing the fan (no blades on it, and origional problem to tranny.) But i also wanted to change fluid while its out (I dont have the money to upgrade to the 66 as recommended.) I saw either the j20c or 10w30 in this chart, and have also read people suggesting 5w50 synthetic oil. Trying not to spend $10 a quart on synthetic or $16 a gallon at John deere. Suggestions??

http://www.greenpartstore.com/assets..._Equipment.pdf

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhunter830 View Post
    Im sure this is a overly asked question on these forums but what oil is best for the tuff torq k46? I'm replacing the fan (no blades on it, and origional problem to tranny.) But i also wanted to change fluid while its out (I dont have the money to upgrade to the 66 as recommended.) I saw either the j20c or 10w30 in this chart, and have also read people suggesting 5w50 synthetic oil. Trying not to spend $10 a quart on synthetic or $16 a gallon at John deere. Suggestions??

5W50 synthetic is the way to go. Never cheep out on the oil.

The oil JD listed in the chart is for the engine of the tractor not the transmission. JD and others that use your transmission consider it a sealed system. So any type of failure requires a complete replacement. This is the reason JD doesn't specify a replacement fluid. However Tuff Torque sells parts to repair them. If you are already getting repair parts from TT they also sell the fluid.
    Last edited by H-D dealer dude; 07-20-2017 at 03:55 PM.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:11 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by H-D dealer dude View Post

The oil JD listed in the chart is for the engine of the tractor not the transmission. JD and others that use your transmission consider it a sealed system. So any type of failure requires a complete replacement. This is the reason JD doesn't specify a replacement fluid. However Tuff Torque sells parts to repair them. If you are already getting repair parts from TT they also sell the fluid.
    Looking at the chart, it lists 10/30 or hy gard for the transmission. It does not list a capacity. Also, parts are available for the transmission. Seal kits, pump shaft kit, pump and motor cylinders. But by the time you buy all that and pay labor its cheaper to buy a replacement unit.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:11 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhunter830 View Post

You dont have to remove the trans to replace the fan. Remove the right rear tire and you will be able to sneak in there with a pair of snap ring pliers to remove the snap ring. When you get the fan get an extra snap ring.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by H-D dealer dude View Post

This exactly.

I rehabbed my K-46 in my L130 almost 4 years ago. Drained it, cleaned it, added the extra internal magnets, new internal filter and refilled with Castrol Synthetic 5w50. 4 years and almost 200 hours later it's still running strong. Just in case I bought another used unit and all the same spare parts from TuffTorque, though I bought their 5w50 this time.

If your going to go thru the trouble of dropping the trans, and working on it, do it right-clean the internals, new, good oil and it'll treat you well.
    Last edited by balrog006; 07-20-2017 at 06:26 PM.
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:47 PM
    Thanks
    For the K46 family, TT actually recommends synthetic 5W50 as the replacement oil. I had an L118 and have been there.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    JD X585 - 45 Loader, 47 Blower, 54C Deck, 14 Bushel bagger & Power Flow, 13 Steel Dump Cart, JD Front Mount Thatcher, 36" steel roller, Ohio Steel 42CP Aerator

New Holland TC29D (part owner with father - it lives at his house - 7308 FEL w/ heavy duty bucket, backhoe w/ underframe

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements