X500: Disappearing transaxle fluid?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: X500: Disappearing transaxle fluid?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:48 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,550 Times in 1,173 Posts

X500: Disappearing transaxle fluid?

Ok... I was hesitant to post this but eventually figured what the heck someone may have ran into the same thing. Bear with me.... :-)

I've had my X500 for 4 years. I changed the transaxle fluid at 50 hrs. and never had to add a drop since. When cold the level always stays right at the full mark on the reservoir tank.

So two weeks ago I hit 200 hrs and it's time to change the transaxle fluid again. To minimize confusion on how much to add back in I measured the oil that I drained out and then added that exact amount of Lo-Vis Hy-Gard back in. As expected it brought the level right back to the full mark. I ran the tractor, checked for leaks, good to go.

I've put about 4 hours on the tractor since the oil change including mowing the grass twice. Oil level has stayed right on the full mark.

Yesterday while in the garage I happened to look at the reservoir tank and the oil level was down to half way between full and add. I looked on the floor - no leaks. I crawled underneath and felt around all the bolts and drain plugs - no leaks. So I figured maybe it was due to the extreme heat in the garage so I waited until early this morning and checked it again. This time the reservoir tank was empty!! Huh? Again, no oil drops on the floor and no leaks to be found anywhere around the transaxle housing. Where did the fluid go? And why now after 4 years of the fluid level not changing?

So I went ahead and added some fluid to bring the level back to the full mark. I didn't measure it but I doubt it took more than 3-4 ounces of fluid to take the tank from empty to full, which really surprised me.

So I am still very confused and at this point will just continue to monitor the fluid level. I know common sense seems to say that there must be a leak but with no fluid on the floor and no fluid to be found anywhere on the transaxle or reservoir tank I don't see how.

Thoughts?
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:29 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,975 Times in 2,481 Posts
    One tire really low and it's not sitting level?
    xcopterdoc likes this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:26 AM
    Thanks
    The X5xx has a small tank. As you found out it only took a few ounces to go from m/t to full. If there are no visible leaks I would call it a day and not over think it. Temp variations, possible air pockets,ect, will change the level. If it was 3/4 to a full qt off..we have an issue. 3 to 4ozs..it will be ok. Its full now so rock with it.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    One tire really low and it's not sitting level?
    It's in the garage and perfectly level. Here is the tank. You can see the oil level below the ADD mark. It WAS at the full mark two days ago.

Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG_1954.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	415106
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 12:06 AM
    Thanks
    I'm going with air in the system that finally came free.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by xcopterdoc View Post
    The X5xx has a small tank. As you found out it only took a few ounces to go from m/t to full. If there are no visible leaks I would call it a day and not over think it. Temp variations, possible air pockets,ect, will change the level. If it was 3/4 to a full qt off..we have an issue. 3 to 4ozs..it will be ok. Its full now so rock with it.
    Agree. I have a tendency to over think things like this. It's just that in the past 200 hrs of operation, including a previous fluid change, I've not experienced anything even remotely similar. :-)
    xcopterdoc likes this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 12:06 AM
    Thanks
    I think it was air that was bound up and finally came free...

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Duff Daddy View Post
    I'm going with air in the system that finally came free.
    That certainly makes the most sense. The whole reason for measuring the amount of oil I drained out was to avoid that.
    Duff Daddy likes this.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:26 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Agree. I have a tendency to over think things like this. It's just that in the past 200 hrs of operation, including a previous fluid change, I've not experienced anything even remotely similar. :-)
    They even come low right out of the crate sometimes. They add by volume when new. Bouncing around and operationing may drop the level. One "glug..glug" from a qt and its full. Warm fuzzy installed and good to go. Happy mowing!

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    The transmission probably had an air pocket that purged from using it. So more fluid moved down into the transmission. Seeing it was only a few ounces. Never had luck trying to measure the old fluid so I would know how much too put back. Gave up on that years ago. I just drain and fill. Plus you never get the exact same amount out when you drain a crankcase. Way to many variables. Like fluid temperature, how long it was run (amount of fluid up stairs), level of case to the ground, how long you let it drain etc. Plus what sticks to the inside of the drain pan, funnel & measuring vessel.

The tank design on my X540 baffles me. It's huge but the full line is not even 1/2 way up the tank. Don't know what the engineers were thinking. After using it all day in this Africa heat the level never went above 1/2. Maybe if you were plowing on the surface of the sun the fluid would expand enough to fill the tank. lol

Just keep an eye on it the next few times you use the tractor. Don't loose any sleep over it.
    As long as the tank doesn't run dry you won't hurt anything.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast