LX176 PTO removal ... what tools will I need?

Thread: LX176 PTO removal ... what tools will I need?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:47 AM
    Thanks

LX176 PTO removal ... what tools will I need?

Previous owner rigged the PTO wiring to bypass the safety switch. His electrical tape has now rubbed off and the wire shorts out/becomes disconnected at a location I can't see or get to, ABOVE the PTO. So that's the "why."

It's my understanding that an impact driver can spin the pulley but fast enough so that the crankshaft doesn't "have time" to spin. Yes?

Also, will I need a wheel puller of some kind?

I'm out of town for a week and would like to get some ducks in a row for this repair when I get back. I may even buy a PTO safety switch; I kind of like that idea.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    08-02-2017 @ 08:17 AM
    Thanks
    Just did this yesterday with my lx186.

Step 1 disconnect battery
    Step 2 remove mowing deck
    Step 3 lift mower so you can get underneath it

Now you can crawl under and see the PTO. There is a pigtail about six inches long on the right side of the mower, unplug it.

The PTO is bolted on the end of the crankshaft with a 16mm bolt head. You mentioned an impact to loosen it before the crankshaft spins, which I believe to be correct. I didn't have an impact so I put a wrench on it and gave the wrench a few sharp smacks with a 12oz ball peen hammer. That did the trick. Either way, remove that bolt.

Now you should be able to grab the PTO with both hands and wiggle while pulling downward and it should come off.

If this is as far as you are going, no pulley puller is needed and do the above steps in reverse to install new one.

There is a pulley above the PTO. If you need to remove it, take drive belt off the pulley then use a pulley puller to remove it off the shat. Take caution not to loose the square key that locks the pulley to the crankshaft. Reverse for reinstall.

Hope this helps.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    08-01-2019 @ 11:36 AM
    Thanks
    There is no need to remove deck.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:47 AM
    Thanks
    Thanks natertot. I don't know why I thought the PTO pulley had to come off. Probably because I'd been watching YouTube videos where the PTO was being replaced with a new one and they had to swap the old pulley over? Whatever.

4044M I think I see what you mean. But I don't have a hoist or a lift, and lifting it by hand and placing the tires on my ramps can't happen without the mower deck gone. Just too heavy to left otherwise.

And this may be academic, now. Previous owner agreed to take the mower back to his shop and fix it while I'm on travel this week.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    08-02-2017 @ 08:17 AM
    Thanks
    4044M you are correct, but the 5 mins it takes to remove and reinstall the deck to have more room is worth it.

I'm not sure why there is pulley removal from the PTO. I was of the impression it was one unit. Looks that way according to the schematics on JDParts. It does come off the crankshaft as one unit without a puller though.

Don't hesitate to do the job yourself. Your looking at about an hour to hour and a half and about a half dozen common hand tools.

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements