Thread: Easy first time oil filter removal X590

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    07-17-2019 @ 04:42 PM
    Thanks

Easy first time oil filter removal X590

Just the facts:
    1. Deere accessory 3/8 inch drive 3 inch oil filter wrench
    2. 1/2 inch drive 25 inch breaker bar (cheap from Harbor Freight and great for stubborn lug nut removal)
    3. 1/2 inch to 3/8 inch adapter
    4. Short extension
    5. Install filter wrench on filter with a light tap to seat it firmly
    6. Easy counter clockwise removal of the filter (with or without removing the side plate)
    7. Light tap on the filter wrench to remove it from filter

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tguil View Post
    Just the facts:
    2. 1/2 inch drive 25 inch breaker bar (cheap from Harbor Freight and great for stubborn lug nut removal)
    4. Short extension
    6. Easy counter clockwise removal of the filter (with or without removing the side plate)

Sounds way better than crushing it like a beer can. Then screwing your self by sticking a screw driver through it. Lastly everything tears off but the base plate. Dirty oil everywhere of course. lol
    etcallhome likes this.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:50 AM
    Thanks
    Just the facts:
    4. Short extension

Welcome to the forum

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks
    My opinion? You just plain got lucky, the ex-sumo wrestler on the oil filter installation stage of the assembly line messed up. Probably had to leave his station quick due to some bad sushi or something. That filter, if installed like nearly all of the others, should have defied your dinky tools and most other methods you would have come up with by the third day. Virgin filters are supposed to be over-tight! Tight enough to cause intense four letter word invocation with small hand wounds.

Welcome to the Forum!!!
    romcjr and H-D dealer dude like this.
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HydroHarold View Post
    My opinion? You just plain got lucky, the ex-sumo wrestler on the oil filter installation stage of the assembly line messed up. Probably had to leave his station quick due to some bad sushi or something. That filter, if installed like nearly all of the others, should have defied your dinky tools and most other methods you would have come up with by the third day. Virgin filters are supposed to be over-tight! Tight enough to cause intense four letter word invocation with small hand wounds.

Welcome to the Forum!!!
    Just like my theory of how a car engine is held together. Everything depends on just 2 fasteners. The oil pan drain plug and the wing nut that holds the air cleaner on. (The old round style that sets over the carburetor) So you have to make them as tight as possible. lol

I think the correct Torque is. Tighten it up until it starts getting loose. Then give it another 1/2 a turn. lol

And welcome
    HydroHarold likes this.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    07-17-2019 @ 04:42 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks for the welcomes. My technique was the result of "careful research" on removing this filter. A couple of good tips from this forum. Least helpful tip was from a Deere tech. He suggested using oil filter pliers. I think that if I had followed his advice, I would have had a chance to use my "big boy" words.

By the way, my other Deere is a 1994 1070 that I purchased new. Any suggestions for making the temperature gauge work. Been messing with that for almost twenty years. Two dealers have not been able to resolve the problem permanently. Might just have to do another post.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks

By the way, my other Deere is a 1994 1070 that I purchased new. Any suggestions for making the temperature gauge work. Been messing with that for almost twenty years. Two dealers have not been able to resolve the problem permanently. Might just have to do another post.
    20 years! The prize for your excellent persistence is a brand new after market "temperature gauge kit". Enjoy!

(Don't forget to draw a nice big "X" through the old gauge with a Sharpie marker!)
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

NRA Life Member

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HydroHarold View Post

Welcome to the Forum!!!
    Thought I would give some filter installation tips. Maybe it will help a sumo in training. lol

Clean and inspect the filter mount. Be sure that the old gasket didn't stick.
    Lubracte the new filter's gasket. Usually use clean oil vs old. Seeing used oil a carcinogen. (But what isn't)
    I have also used a tub of white lube grease and an acid brush when I did it professionally.
    Just don't install it dry.
    Install the new oil filter only hand tight. Never use a filter wrench.
    Check for leaks after starting the engine.

I won't get into the debate over pre filling the new filter vs installing it dry. lol
    HydroHarold likes this.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by H-D dealer dude View Post
    \

I won't get into the debate over pre filling the new filter vs installing it dry. lol
    Now mind you, I used to pre-fill all my new filters. That is until recently I had several vehicles fall over when propped up to keep the full filter from emptying before it was screwed on tight. The ones that had to be kept vertical were the toughest especially outside on windy days and when raining sometimes the 2X4's would simply slip out and the darned vehicle would flip over.

"Sumo in training"

NRA Life Member

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements