Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: X7xx Series Drive over Deck annoyance

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    04-17-2019 @ 03:46 PM
    Thanks

X7xx Series Drive over Deck annoyance

Is it just me, or does anyone else have a hard time re-installing their drive over deck? I can take it off no problem, but when I go to drive back over it, it slides all over and I end up having my wife drive the mower while I jam my foot at the front of the deck to keep it in place. Does anyone have any tips or tricks? Am I doing something wrong? I'm doing it on the blacktop, should I do it on the grass? Any input is welcome and appreciated. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    08-04-2019 @ 12:36 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nj82tj View Post
    Is it just me, or does anyone else have a hard time re-installing their drive over deck? I can take it off no problem, but when I go to drive back over it, it slides all over and I end up having my wife drive the mower while I jam my foot at the front of the deck to keep it in place. Does anyone have any tips or tricks? Am I doing something wrong? I'm doing it on the blacktop, should I do it on the grass? Any input is welcome and appreciated. Thanks.
    I remove my deck in the shop as that is the place my tools are . (an inside) I have a rubber mat to put under the deck first it works well . Yes all the John Deere Demos show the deck being removed on the grass (in the front yard) Most people do not park the deck out side in there yard . The auto connect is ok not great but I do not store my deck out side no one does .
    If you have two wheel drive you back over it The four wheel Drive can drive over but it is better to back over (less pushing)
    nj82tj likes this.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BANGER View Post
    I remove my deck in the shop as that is the place my tools are . (an inside) I have a rubber mat to put under the deck first it works well . Yes all the John Deere Demos show the deck being removed on the grass (in the front yard) Most people do not park the deck out side in there yard . The auto connect is ok not great but I do not store my deck out side no one does .
    If you have two wheel drive you back over it The four wheel Drive can drive over but it is better to back over (less pushing)
    I never thought about putting a rubber mat under it. I'm sure that would help a lot! My X738 is AWD, so I usually drive forward over it, but I'll have to try reverse and see how that goes for me. Thanks for the input.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nj82tj View Post

You could have your wife hold the deck with her foot while you drive the tractor. lol
    Really I'm just jealous because I have to drag my deck out from the side. lol

Have heard about using a horse stall mat to put under the deck. Seems to be a problem with the drive over desks no matter what tractor you have. When doing it on a hard surface anyway.
    nj82tj likes this.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by H-D dealer dude View Post
    You could have your wife hold the deck with her foot while you drive the tractor. lol
    Really I'm just jealous because I have to drag my deck out from the side. lol

Have heard about using a horse stall mat to put under the deck. Seems to be a problem with the drive over desks no matter what tractor you have. When doing it on a hard surface anyway.
    Ha, that's pretty good. I still like my wife though, maybe in a few years...

The horse stall mat or similar is what I think I'll check out from Tractor Supply.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:22 PM
    Thanks
    Like the guys here said use some rubber under it. I have three small pieces of drawer liner I use. Also make sure your autoconnect is adjusted to the right height so it lines up good. Mine was off some when I got it.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:02 PM
    Thanks
    Ditto on the rubber mat, I'm using an exercise mat picked up at Costco.

Also helps if you have a little grease on the coupler splines, draft arm contact points and latch. Mine slides right on since I've been doing that.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    08-04-2019 @ 12:36 PM
    Thanks
    If you use a rubber mat it will need to be thin as the Gear case is tall and may not have room for the lift arms .
    Good idea to use the back wheel lock also
    Every time I see the JD add on TV I wonder how people put the deck in the yard and why .

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:49 AM
    Thanks
    You would think by now Deere would've had two of the gauge wheels lock sideways so it slide.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:56 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,417 Times in 1,550 Posts
    I've found trying to install the deck on the x738, I use the traction assistant pedal. Without using traction assist deck slides all over the concrete floor.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast