• 1 Post By xcopterdoc
  • 1 Post By WifeSaidOK

Thread: L120 Front wheel bearings

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    07-27-2017 @ 01:24 PM
    Thanks

L120 Front wheel bearings

Front wheel bushings gone bad (enough on the right rim it has peeled the steel where the bushings seat and needing a new rim) but i see the factory bushings (part #M123811) and i have seen videos on the l130 where regular bearings can be used as well. Will these work for the 120 rim also? (AM127304) Or another bearing?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:59 AM
    Thanks
    Yes they will work. When you get the wheels off take a good look at the axle. Usually they wear along with the bushings. You may need to replace the steering spindles.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    07-30-2019 @ 05:29 PM
    Thanks
    ^^^^^^^^ What he said ^^^^^^^
    Ron
    2016 1025R SILB (Self Installed Loader Backhoe)
    54 Autoconnect MMM
    JD Imatch
    Several homemade Mods
    Ken's bolt on grab hooks combo , Diff lock pedal , Oblong slings , Backhoe Steps
    Piranha tooth bar
    Artillian forks
    Armstong Ag 4' Box Blade
    Fimco 40 gal. 3 pt. sprayer
    Blue Hawk (?) Plug Aerator

2016 x580
    Power Flow 14 Bushel Bagger
    Brushguard
    Jeff's LED Taillights
    JD Mulch Kit
    42 Hyd. Tiller

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:25 AM
    Thanks
    I did this for my LA135, and the difference in the steering and how the tractor handles is night and day. The spindles/axles were fine (tractor is 7 years/400 hours old).
    2016 1025R TLB (Marshawn) with Piranha tooth bar
    HLA 42" Forks
    Frontier LR2060L Landscape rake
    2019 X370 mowing machine with snowblower attachment
    County Line 3 point log splitter (Mr. Splitty)
    Cyclone Rake super sucker
    Stihl MS-271 chain saw
    Stihl KM-56 Kombi powerhead, string trimmer, pole saw, articulating hedge trimmer
    1998 Yamaha 4-stroke golf car (Tedy Bruschi)

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WifeSaidOK View Post
    I did this for my LA135, and the difference in the steering and how the tractor handles is night and day. The spindles/axles were fine (tractor is 7 years/400 hours old).
    So you basically remove the stock bushings from the front wheels. Then use the front wheel bearings from an X300 to replace them. No other spacers or different hardware is needed? Just put the stock washer and E clip back on the spindles?

Wish I would have known about this modification when I had my L108. Even greasing them more than religiously they still wore out. By the time I put it up for sale the second set was on the way out. When I rocked the steering wheel I could see the front tires jiggling. Can't imagine how bad this would happen if spindles wore into the actual steel wheel.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by H-D dealer dude View Post
    So you basically remove the stock bushings from the front wheels. Then use the front wheel bearings from an X300 to replace them. No other spacers or different hardware is needed? Just put the stock washer and E clip back on the spindles?

Wish I would have known about this modification when I had my L108. Even greasing them more than religiously they still wore out. By the time I put it up for sale the second set was on the way out. When I rocked the steering wheel I could see the front tires jiggling. Can't imagine how bad this would happen if spindles wore into the actual steel wheel.
    It is a very simple fix, and yes just remove the bushings and replace with bearings. Some info here: John Deere Front Wheel Bearing Update
    No spacers or other hardware required. It took me longer to jack the tractor up and get the wheels of the spindles than to remove/replace the bushings.
    HLA 42" Forks
    Stihl MS-271 chain saw
    Stihl KM-56 Kombi powerhead, string trimmer, pole saw, articulating hedge trimmer

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WifeSaidOK View Post
    It is a very simple fix, and yes just remove the bushings and replace with bearings. Some info here: John Deere Front Wheel Bearing Update
    No spacers or other hardware required. It took me longer to jack the tractor up and get the wheels of the spindles than to remove/replace the bushings.
    How much money can JD be saving using bushings? For a premium tractor (yes the 100 series) the bearings should be standard.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:59 AM
    Thanks
    How much money can JD be saving using bushings? For a premium tractor (yes the 100 series) the bearings should be standard.
    The L.. LA.. STX.. Sabre.. Scotts, were not premium mowers. Yup.. They did cost more. BUT.. What happened was, they out lived everyones expectations! A near impossible feat in todays market place. Still working on em everyday! They lost that with the D series IMHO.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
    H-D dealer dude likes this.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I completely agree. The whole front end, at least on my LA135, is a disappointment. I replaced the bushings in the wheels, and it made a big difference. But I was never able to get grease into the grease fitting on the vertical part above the spindle (not sure what it is called). I just couldn't pump any grease in there. So while I had the wheels off I removed the spindles, and also removed the grease zerks. It turns out that on one side, the opening behind the zerk was completely caked with crap. Since I was never able to get grease in there, it had to have happened at the factory. It is such a small opening, with very, very little room for any grease to get in there. Anyway, I put a little bit of grease on the spindle, put it all back together and put the grease gun on the zerk. Good to go.

It is a good thing that I am somewhat mechanically inclined so I knew how to do it. But Average Joe Homeowner would have no idea, and would have been fighting the steering forever. Something as seemingly minor like that could cause someone to switch brands. Lost customers=not a solid business plan.
    H-D dealer dude likes this.
    HLA 42" Forks
    Stihl MS-271 chain saw

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements