Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: John deere 455

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-01-2017 @ 10:00 AM
    Thanks
    Hello,

I am brand new to the forum world and unsure where to post this, but I hope this is correct. I have done numerous searches and cant find the answer I am looking for, so any advice or tips would be much appreciated. I am in the market to purchase my first deere lawn tractor. I have stumbled across a 1991 455 with a diesel in excellent condition with 307 original hrs. 60 in mowing deck asking price is $4500. unsure if this is a fair price and also if there is any know issues I need to be aware of. like I said any help is appreciated and thank you in advance for your help

L
    Last edited by lances; 07-27-2017 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Spelling

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    08-21-2019 @ 03:27 PM
    Thanks
    Are you sure its a 91. I bought a 420 in 92 and they offered a 430 at that time. I think your modle started in 93. could be wrong nut the 430 still bring around 4500$, if its nice. My son still has my 420 the same basic tractor just gas.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    I see your point now looked up on tractor data those models ran from 93 to 2001.
    Drifterbike likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Here's a pic if this helps
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 14914_1501195180572.jpeg  
    DRobinson and ColonyPark like this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:16 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,026 Times in 2,193 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lances View Post
    Hello,

I am brand new to the forum world and unsure where to post this, but I hope this is correct. I have done numerous searches and cant find the answer I am looking for, so any advice or tips would be much appreciated. I am in the market to purchase my first deer lawn tractor. I have stumbled across a 1991 455 with a diesel in excellent condition with 307 original hrs. 60 in mowing deck asking price is $4500. unsure if this is a fair price and also if there is any know issues I need to be aware of. like I said any help is appreciated and thank you in advance for your help
    It will help in your search if you use Deere instead of deer - you'll get a lot more results for what you are looking for.
    xcopterdoc and raco232 like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:06 AM
    Thanks
    The 455 was/is a rock solid unit. I dont keep up on prices. So no idea.
    The main issues I see are mostly hydraulic leaks at the steering components and leaks on the trans. Mostly at the brake area and diff lock rod area. Engine or trans failures on maintained units are next to none. A current model today would be over 10k I would think.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
    DRobinson and ColonyPark like this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    06-30-2019 @ 10:15 AM
    Thanks
    Hiya,

Honestly, you're lucky it's in NC otherwise, I would already have bought it out from under you. Up here in the North East, that wouldn't last half an hour on CL

It looks like showroom condition, either it's a full restoration or it's been kept indoors all it's life and cared for by someone who valued it highly. I would snap it up quickly if it runs 1/2 as good as it looks and with 300 some hours on it, it's only due for it's 3rd oil change.... Yes, I know the instrument panel may have been replaced, that would be my first question to the owner. Ask for any dealer service records or receipts for oil and filters. Ask them who the dealer they bought it from and call the dealer, see if their story jives.

Tom
    ColonyPark and BigJim55 like this.
    2010 3320 Cab
    Loaded R3's, 300CX w/3rd SCV
    61" HD-Tooth Bar, 72" HD-bolt-on edge, Frontier Forx
    "A" front hitch, Mid-PTO, Air ride seat, Horn, Back-up alarm, Rear work lights, External mirrors, Auto cruise
    60HD broom. 366 Blade, 59 blower, i-Match
    Looking for: Rear Wheel Weight Set

Stuff for Sale:
    New 200CX/H130 Masts 25/2720-2032R
    New Jamison Bryce adapter, cart and chute

“Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself” Mark Twain

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    It will help in your search if you use Deere instead of deer - you'll get a lot more results for what you are looking for.
    You want the kind of Deere that cuts grass. (Among other things) not the kind of deer that you shoot at. lol

Why haven't you bought that thing already?

Took a quick look around Tractor House. $4,500 is definitely in the ballpark. Some are more but are newer and have accessories. Like front end loader, cab, tiller etc. Lowest hours was around 500 but most were 1,200+
    Last edited by H-D dealer dude; 07-27-2017 at 07:28 PM.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:50 PM
    Thanks
    If you wanted a "buy it once for life" machine, I'd say buy it. That thing looks clean. If you suspect it's repainted, look for overspray. From the 1 pic, it doesn't look repainted. I bought a GX345 recently for $1500 with 200 hours on it and I feel I stole it. Mine was SUPER clean. Just look that one over with a fine tooth comb, it will speak for itself...

Have you bought it yet? What's the hold up???

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by JDSwan87; 07-27-2017 at 08:25 PM.
    ColonyPark and BigJim55 like this.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:34 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lances View Post
    Hello,

I am brand new to the forum world and unsure where to post this, but I hope this is correct. I have done numerous searches and cant find the answer I am looking for, so any advice or tips would be much appreciated. I am in the market to purchase my first deere lawn tractor. I have stumbled across a 1991 455 with a diesel in excellent condition with 307 original hrs. 60 in mowing deck asking price is $4500. unsure if this is a fair price and also if there is any know issues I need to be aware of. like I said any help is appreciated and thank you in advance for your help

L
    That is extremely low hours for that model of mower. It was last produced in the early 2000's, I think 2003 was the last year. Tractordata.com will let you know.

As far as price, it's not a deal but it's a fair price and at the higher end of the scale. Also price is region dependent. Not sure where in NC you are but that is probably a stout price for the area. Older JD Garden tractors are a lot more popular the farther north you drive.

A JD Garden tractor with a diesel and that low of hours is going to bring a good price. Is everything there? Does it come with any attachments? Also is all of the plastic hood tin there and not cracked? That generation of JD Garden Tractor has about the flimsiest plastic I have seen on a JD. That tractor should be spotless and need nothing for that price. 455's will bring a much higher price than its 445 and 425 brothers. I would see if the seller is pliable with cash in hand, far better to deal with in person than via other means.

How much lawn do you need to mow? If its less than acre or ever a couple of acres, it's probably overkill for what you need it to do. However, we tend to do that on this forum. Far better to have too much tractor than not enough.

Good luck with your purchase.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    3025e, D160 loader, Artillian Grapple, Forks, Hoe Bucket, Frontier Land Plane, Rotomec PDH300, Redline Systems 54 inch rock bucket, Heavy Hitch
    400 Garden Tractor, 35a Tiller, 54 inch plow, 60 inch deck

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast