I have a John Deere LX188, and a couple of weeks ago it overheated when I was mowing. Sure enough, the screen had a ton of dust and dirt and was blocking the air flow. I thought that was it, but when I went to mow last week it overheated 15 minutes in. I had to let it cool off for about an hour then ran it again for 15 minutes before it overheated again.
So, the tractor will run for 10-15 minutes now before it shuts off from overheating. Give it an hour to cool down then it will run again for 10-15 minutes before shut down. Coolant level appears to be ok as reservoir is still above the low mark. I checked radiator fins and straightened them out and made sure no blockage.
Any ideas what the issue may be? I've read thermostat and water pump may be the issue, but is there a way to rule one out? How difficult is it to replace these on my own (I'm a novice but take directions well)? Any other ideas or tips are greatly appreciated. Thanks!