• 2 Post By fehhkk
  • 1 Post By tj1

Thread: New style mulch kit for 54" HC decks

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:27 PM
    Thanks

New style mulch kit for 54" HC decks

When I was at our local JD dealer picking up my brush guard last Thursday, they had a new X738 just like mine with the new mulch kit similar to the 54" Accel decks. They have a lever mechanism to direct grass out the chute or closed in mulching mode. I was actually thinking about buying it just for the lever mowing around mulch beds and rock beds. So to all you that have the 54" HC decks and I'm assuming maybe the bigger HC decks....may want to check it out!
    Jeff B likes this.
    2018 John Deere 2038R
    72D mower
    220R loader
    72" Frontier landscape rake
    CenPeCo synthetic oil

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    08-23-2019 @ 08:32 PM
    Thanks
    I believe this option is called 'mulch control'.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:08 PM
    Thanks
    I installed one last year and none this year. Install about one a week on the Accel Deep decks. The Accel mulch control kits seem good, tight open and closed. The one I did for the X700 was not as tight and lever took forever to adjust to get it right open and closed since its adjustable.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    08-22-2019 @ 09:34 AM
    Thanks
    I installed this mulch kit on my 60HC deck a month ago. I really like it. I keep the chute closed when I mulch the yard around the house. Then open up the chute when I mow taller grass in my field. I took off the side discharge chute off my deck after I installed the mulch kit so I don't have to worry about it sticking out.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:31 PM
    Thanks
    Got the mulch kit when I got my tractor new as well. Works quite well. It comes with a set of mulching blades and deck baffles and the lever. Since I don't have any tall grass to mow, i removed the discharge chute completely and I just mulch all the time.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    From what I understand/read about this new kit. No matter what size deck they all work the same. After installing the kit the left blade is enclosed and in full time mulching. The lever/gate opens the discharge side of the deck. So when closed the center and right blades mulch. When open the center and right blades side discharge. So my questions would be.

Does the left blade pocket collect excessive grass under the deck compared to the other two?

When cutting tall and or wet grass does it clump or cut poorly on the left side?

Does the deck make any strange noise like rattling from the movable gate?

Just curious. Never owned one and probably never will.
    jd2854020 and tj1 like this.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

9. Top | #7
    tj1
    Last Online
    08-23-2019 @ 12:43 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by H-D dealer dude View Post
    From what I understand/read about this new kit. No matter what size deck they all work the same. After installing the kit the left blade is enclosed and in full time mulching. The lever/gate opens the discharge side of the deck. So when closed the center and right blades mulch. When open the center and right blades side discharge. So my questions would be.

Does the left blade pocket collect excessive grass under the deck compared to the other two?

When cutting tall and or wet grass does it clump or cut poorly on the left side?

Does the deck make any strange noise like rattling from the movable gate?

Just curious. Never owned one and probably never will.
    I wondered the same thing HD. I have the mulching kit on my X738 54" HC and I don't see how it can work efficiently with two blades sending the grass out to the side and the left blade not? My husky (48" three blades/mulch kit) has the entire bottom open and it sends the grass to the right side and clumps religiously at the mulch baffle.. The kit I have now on the JD has all three blades in their own compartment.. I wonder how this would work? MY deck and mulching kit work great even with tall and wet grass but I have wondered about having the grass exit the deck on occasions, I could mow faster if it did but I like the fact I don't have to rake or go over already cut grass with the mulch kit.
    Last edited by tj1; 08-05-2017 at 11:38 AM.
    H-D dealer dude likes this.
    Jeff

X 738 4X4/ 54" mower deck, 47" two stage snow thrower/ linear actuator spout control, Curtis hard side cab/heater, JD roof top LED work lights, Curtis fuse block, rear roof light connected to dash light switch and reverse lights, additional 20amp alternator, Curtis fast Cast 2000 sander custom fitted to tractor/ vibrator for use with dry sand, Kubota L39 TLB, JD 450 E dozer, Husky 18 horse/ 48" mower deck/Berco 42" two stage snow thrower/Berco soft side cab, Kubota RTV500-H.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:31 PM
    Thanks
    From what I see in mine (54" HC), none of the blades are fully enclosed by the mulching baffles underside of the deck. When you close the exhaust port a little bit of grass comes out of it while mowing but it will indeed recirculate the grass and mulch it pretty good even if the grass is tall.
    tj1 and H-D dealer dude like this.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tj1 View Post
    I wondered the same thing HD. I have the mulching kit on my X738 54" HC and I don't see how it can work efficiently with two blades sending the grass out to the side and the left blade not? My husky (48" three blades/mulch kit) has the entire bottom open and it sends the grass to the right side and clumps religiously at the mulch baffle.. The kit I have now on the JD has all three blades in their own compartment.. I wonder how this would work? MY deck and mulching kit work great even with tall and wet grass but I have wondered about having the grass exit the deck on occasions, I could mow faster if it did but I like the fact I don't have to rake or go over already cut grass with the mulch kit.

Well have you looked under your deck since you have been using it a while?
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

12. Top | #10
    tj1
    Last Online
    08-23-2019 @ 12:43 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by H-D dealer dude View Post
    Well have you looked under your deck since you have been using it a while?
    Yes I have, it is clean but for a small amount stuck in certain areas where the flow is not conducive to the angles of the individue steel baffles for each blade.. This is the third year of mowing with it and I clean it every year before putting it to bed.. I've been happy with it. In fact I don't need to clean it during the mowing season at all. I mow about 2.3 acres or a little more every week if I can, sometimes every two weeks and I really have no issues at all. It does a great job, but as I mentioned I would also like to send it out the side on occasions so I could move a little quicker, it does take two days to do all the grass, a lot of areas where you need to be particular or you go into the pond if you're not careful or hit a rock or two! You can tell if you are building up grass under the deck (with my Husky for the apple tree areas where the curtis cab will not fit) it sounds like a helicopter taking off... But that's the Husky, never had that issue with the JD.. Is this why you asked the question HD? I only used the water deck cleaning connection once when I bought it new, never used it again... found it unnecessary and would it work with the mulching baffles underneath??? Doubt it. Jeff
    H-D dealer dude likes this.
    Jeff

X 738 4X4/ 54" mower deck, 47" two stage snow thrower/ linear actuator spout control, Curtis hard side cab/heater, JD roof top LED work lights, Curtis fuse block, rear roof light connected to dash light switch and reverse lights, additional 20amp alternator, Curtis fast Cast 2000 sander custom fitted to tractor/ vibrator for use with dry sand, Kubota L39 TLB, JD 450 E dozer, Husky 18 horse/ 48" mower deck/Berco 42" two stage snow thrower/Berco soft side cab, Kubota RTV500-H.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements