Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JDSwan87

Thread: John Deere 18hp 345 will not go past idle

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:10 AM
    Thanks

John Deere 18hp 345 will not go past idle

I have a 1997 345 18hp Kawasaki. It has run great until today. Would not start today with the throttle up and the choke on. It did start and run with the throttle at idle. Its dies when I try to advance the throttle.
    I removed the air cleaner, removed the gas cap neither helped. I can see the choke and governor linkage are both free. I can accelerate the engine with the governor. Not sure what to check next.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jackson63 View Post
    I have a 1997 345 18hp Kawasaki. It has run great until today. Would not start today with the throttle up and the choke on. It did start and run with the throttle at idle. Its dies when I try to advance the throttle.
    I removed the air cleaner, removed the gas cap neither helped. I can see the choke and governor linkage are both free. I can accelerate the engine with the governor. Not sure what to check next.

Could you have flooded it? Normally a flooded engine won't start with the choke on. Because it already has more than enough fuel. Try pulling the spark plugs to see if they are wet. If so clean or replace them.

If the plugs are dry you might not be getting enough fuel. Spray a good shot of carb cleaner or starting fluid into the carb. Then they to start it. It should start immediately if lack of fuel is your problem.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to H-D dealer dude For This Useful Post:

jackson63 (08-03-2017)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks
    Starvin' for fuel: Check filter, tank line to carb, carb float stuck in "full-up" position, dirt in float valve orifice, clogged main jet(s)... Keep tryin'!
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

6. The Following User Says Thank You to HydroHarold For This Useful Post:

jackson63 (08-04-2017)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:47 PM
    Thanks
    Pull the air filter and see if it runs on carb cleaner. If it does, then you have air and spark. Pull the carb, buy a gasket kit for it, disassemble, soak in laquer thinner 24-48 hours, blow out all ports, reassemble, motor on...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    HydroHarold likes this.

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements