Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: 265 dies after about 15-20 minutes or so

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-22-2019 @ 08:47 AM
    Thanks

265 dies after about 15-20 minutes or so

I didn't time it but that's about how long I was on it while mowing.

Seems I bought another "project" tractor today. As with my 176, this one dies after a little awhile. Just peters out. Yes, I am a glutton for punishment, but I suppose after I fix one I'll have learned the other, since they have similar-tech Kawasakis.

Seems like the ignition gets weak; it doesn't surge/die like fuel starvation, but then again I've not yet run one of these dry so don't know for sure how that goes.

I was able to immediately restart it without a problem, but engaging the PTO was "too much" for it again, and it began to die once more. I quickly turned off the PTO and it slowly recovered and could be driven, but that's all.

tractor
    M00265A479834

engine model
    FC540V - BS00

engine serial

What I would dearly like to know is if the separate coil and ignition module these older tractors have can be updated to the slightly-more-more-modern type that has the ignition module inside the coil. Wiring changes, whatever, I don't mind.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by deckeda View Post
    I didn't time it but that's about how long I was on it while mowing.

Seems I bought another "project" tractor today. As with my 176, this one dies after a little awhile. Just peters out. Yes, I am a glutton for punishment, but I suppose after I fix one I'll have learned the other, since they have similar-tech Kawasakis.

Seems like the ignition gets weak; it doesn't surge/die like fuel starvation, but then again I've not yet run one of these dry so don't know for sure how that goes.

I was able to immediately restart it without a problem, but engaging the PTO was "too much" for it again, and it began to die once more. I quickly turned off the PTO and it slowly recovered and could be driven, but that's all.

tractor
    M00265A479834

engine model
    FC540V - BS00

engine serial

What I would dearly like to know is if the separate coil and ignition module these older tractors have can be updated to the slightly-more-more-modern type that has the ignition module inside the coil. Wiring changes, whatever, I don't mind.
    Try cracking the fuel cap loose when it starts to die. That's about the right amount of time to vaper lock the fuel tank if the vent is plugged. Within 30-60 seconds it should go back to full power if this is the problem.
    Tomfive and HydroHarold like this.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:53 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,026 Times in 2,193 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by H-D dealer dude View Post
    Try cracking the fuel cap loose when it starts to die. That's about the right amount of time to vaper lock the fuel tank if the vent is plugged. Within 30-60 seconds it should go back to full power if this is the problem.
    That is my canned answer for this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thank you both. I will try that tomorrow. And I'll take a paperclip with me

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    08-01-2019 @ 11:36 AM
    Thanks
    I put this on a FC420V. Ignitor is built in. Not sure if it will fit a FC540V. Part number 21121-2086

Is it charging?

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by deckeda View Post
    Thank you both. I will try that tomorrow. And I'll take a paperclip with me
    Paper clip (universal tool #2) might be less effective than compressed air. Depends how the cap is constructed (simple hole), some have a passage or chamber to retain splashing. That kind will need some blowing out.

BTW, this is absolutely the FIRST THING TO CHECK when diagnosing no-starts and slowly failing engines! ALWAYS! Simplest place to start and will eliminate that "DAMN, I should have tried that in the beginning!" (and winding up with unused parts put into storage)
    Tomfive likes this.
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HydroHarold View Post
    Paper clip (universal tool #2) might be less effective than compressed air. Depends how the cap is constructed (simple hole), some have a passage or chamber to retain splashing. That kind will need some blowing out.

BTW, this is absolutely the FIRST THING TO CHECK when diagnosing no-starts and slowly failing engines! ALWAYS! Simplest place to start and will eliminate that "DAMN, I should have tried that in the beginning!" (and winding up with unused parts put into storage)
    I have compressed air available also. I'll know tomorrow what the cap on this and on my 165 is like.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 4044M View Post
    I put this on a FC420V. Ignitor is built in. Not sure if it will fit a FC540V. Part number 21121-2086

Is it charging?
    It charges. The battery light is not on when running, and the battery has full cranking power to restart the engine.

That coil you listed isn't made to work on any of the 540s, I don't think. But are you saying you retrofitted an older tractor designed for the separate igniter module with a coil with the module built in, and "it just works"? Just leave the wire dangling, that used to connect to the module on the side of the engine?

Since my also-new-to-me 176 shared this same symptom, I've read all sorts of things online that could all point to losing power/dying after a while, some spark and some fuel related:

-bad igniter module (there are some measurement figures floating around online that aren't probably entirely relevant; J-D's docs say these are essentially untestable)
    -bad coil (might test good but get weak when hot; untestable scenario)
    -bad gas cap (vent plugged)
    -bad fuel lines (clogged/obstructed)
    -transmission pressing against fuel tank (obstructed fuel pickup tube) -- don't see that as applicable to the 265.

Tomorrow I'll know if the gas cap on the 265 is the problem, and if it's the igniter module I have a generic one coming soon intended for the 176 I can try on the 265 instead. If that doesn't fix it I'll be looking hard at the tank, fuel lines and filter, and then the coil.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    08-01-2019 @ 11:36 AM
    Thanks
    I had a LX172 I had problems with hard to or no start. Shutting down while mowing. Spark when cranking was more of a tickle. I had enough extra parts to try multiple known coils and igniters. Ignitor can be good when cold, but when shut off and restarted no spark.

Finally, figured only thing left was the flywheel. So I pulled one off a 170. Knew I had something when I cranked it and had enough spark to bite you.

This coil is just attached directly to kill wire running to ignition switch. Only change to use is wiring. I am sure there modern coils for the 540.

I would not trust the idiot light and actually test charging voltage.

Test mow running off test gas tank and see what happens.
    Last edited by 4044M; 08-04-2017 at 06:33 AM.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 4044M View Post
    I had a LX172 I had problems with hard to or no start. Shutting down while mowing. Spark when cranking was more of a tickle. I had enough extra parts to try multiple known coils and igniters. Ignitor can be good when cold, but when shut off and restarted no spark.

Finally, figured only thing left was the flywheel. So I pulled one off a 170. Knew I had something when I cranked it and had enough spark to bite you.

This coil is just attached directly to kill wire running to ignition switch. Only change to use is wiring. I am sure there modern coils for the 540.

I would not trust the idiot light and actually test charging voltage.

Test mow running off test gas tank and see what happens.
    Not many peeps think that a flywheel can't go bad but it can. However it usually involves a problem with the magnets. Someone just posted fairly recently about a problem with the magnets falling off.

Another thing that can cause flywheel problems is the key. It's a little piece of metal that holds the flywheel into the proper position on the crankshaft. Both have a groove that the key fits into locking them together. This key can sheer or partially sheer for a number of reasons. Once the flywheel rotates out of position with the crankshaft the ignition will be out of time. You can still have spark at the plug but not at the correct time. Only a few degrees out of position is enough to cause problems.
    Last edited by H-D dealer dude; 08-04-2017 at 02:57 PM.
    Tomfive, Zebrafive and HydroHarold like this.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast