Bought a really good looking 325 about three weeks ago, about 500 hours on it.
It was about a three hour round trip to pick it up.
When I picked it up the guy had a place I could test mow, it did a great job, I made three or four passes.
The hydro deck is wonderful, and did a great job on the heavy grass.
You could eat off the tractor, they had done a really good job cleaning it up. He had replaced the electric PTO after he got it.
He sold mowers and others things, and had a guy that worked on them for him.
When I got home with it I took out to mow. I made it about five minutes before it blew the main fuse.
The 15 amp fuse was blown black, I have always associated this with a direct short to ground.
A few fuses and some testing later. Sure enough I find a short in the positive wire going to the PTO.
I replaced the wire and was sure this was "it".
But the fuse would continue to blow maybe it would run 10 minutes, maybe 20. But it was no longer blown black, it was just opened up.
I would raise the hood as I was mowing and feel the fuse, it was never warm.
Looking at the best diagram I could find, there was little in the circuit. The new PTO ohm reading checked out fine and the new wire from the connector was in brand new condition (because it was).
The connector was tight and I cleaned the male plugs with sandpaper and the female with spray.
I ordered a new switch, even though I knew that should not be the problem, I had hopes that the contacts in the switch where just dirty and causing poor connection. New switch came in, same problem.
The fuse does go elsewhere in the mower, I had looked over every inch of the wire harness for issues and found none. It really looks great for a 1995 tractor. So I spliced in a fuse between the PTO switch and the PTO clutch. From the ohm reading the clutch shouldn't pull 5 amps. So I placed a 10 amp fuse in the position with the 15 back in the main. This was to make sure the problem was for sure in the PTO circuit. The 10 ohm blew.
This left me with little options, even though the PTO clutch was brand new and checked good, I thought it must be breaking down when it gets hot. I called my local JD dealer and they priced me a new clutch, wow...
They let me speak with service and I told them what I had done. He suggested I run a new ground wire to the clutch, he said he had seen that cause just what I was describing to him.
So I ran a new ground wire to hook it up I decided to just do away with the male part of the two plug connector for at the PTO. Just plug spade terminals direct into the female part of the plug going to the PTO. When I plug the neutral side in, the spade will not stay, the female connector is loose and will not hold the male spade! When plugged in at the same time you could not tell there was an issue, because the positive side held tight, it all felt ok. I had even cleaned it.
I fix the connector and the mower has been great so far.
So it was the dreaded two problem issue. The positive wire was shorting to ground and the plug was shot on the neutral side.
From now on when I check a connector with more than on plug, I will use a spade terminal to check each female connection.
I'm glad it didn't cost me the price of a brand new PTO to figure that out. I wonder if the old PTO really needed replaced in the first place.
(I did call the guy I bought it from, he was not much help. He offered to have his guy look at it for nothing, but it was a long trip back. I am sure he didn't know there where issues when he sold it to me.)