STX-38 deck spring lever keeps popping loose.

Thread: STX-38 deck spring lever keeps popping loose.

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-07-2017 @ 12:49 PM
    Thanks

STX-38 deck spring lever keeps popping loose.

Hello all. I have a JD STX-38 with yellow deck. Last week, near the end of my mow job, the spring lever on the top of the deck (the lever that engages the belts to the blades) kept popping loose. After some investigating, I found one of the pulley assemblies that mounts the blades had come loose from the deck. I tightened that back up and thought the problem was solved, as this week, the deck sounded tighter and less noisy. It also worked fine though most of the mowing. Near the end, once again, the lever started popping loose. All I had to do to fix it was shut down, and reach down there and move the lever back over. I can see the lever from on top through a slot in the gear shift lever assembly, and as I continued to mow, I could see the lever working its way loose again. I don't feel any unusual vibrations. I wondered if this might be a common problem with this model and if, being common, maybe there's a common cause? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rickford66 View Post
    Hello all. I have a JD STX-38 with yellow deck. Last week, near the end of my mow job, the spring lever on the top of the deck (the lever that engages the belts to the blades) kept popping loose. After some investigating, I found one of the pulley assemblies that mounts the blades had come loose from the deck. I tightened that back up and thought the problem was solved, as this week, the deck sounded tighter and less noisy. It also worked fine though most of the mowing. Near the end, once again, the lever started popping loose. All I had to do to fix it was shut down, and reach down there and move the lever back over. I can see the lever from on top through a slot in the gear shift lever assembly, and as I continued to mow, I could see the lever working its way loose again. I don't feel any unusual vibrations. I wondered if this might be a common problem with this model and if, being common, maybe there's a common cause? Thanks.
    Something has to be loose and or worn out causing the problems. Are the spindle bearings in good shape? They should spin freely and not have any play. Bad ones will rattle the deck among other things. Can you post a picture of the pulley and lever?

I had one of these tractor's years ago. The ex BIL gave it to me because no one could figure out why it didn't run. Turned out to be a couple things. Think that the original problem was a bad PTO switch that was stuck on. Then they left it out in the rain without an air cleaner & the hood up. Someone later hydro locked it braking the flywheel key. Finally got it running for zero dollars and was pricing parts to fix it up. However I decided not to after seeing mold growing inside the intake manifold. Plus everything was missing paint from all the rust.

When I got it the deck was not attached. Never got around to putting it back on. Put it in the paper (before Craig's list) and it sold within a week.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements