• 4 Post By xcopterdoc

Thread: 445 Hydrostatic

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-18-2017 @ 07:47 PM
    Thanks

445 Hydrostatic

Hello All,

Thank you for the add, I am new to the site and will post pictures soon. I have a question about the transaxle on a 445 that I have rebuilt over the last year. Yesterday, I noticed my transaxle was extremely hot to the touch. I noticed the steam coming off the rear plate when I was spraying the tractor down with water. I had never noticed this before! I have not experienced any chatter or power loss and the fluid is at the correct level. It had a fluid/ filter change at the beginning of this season. Is this normal or should I be looking for a problem? The tractor has 880 hours or so...

Thank you in advance,

Scott

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Deere445 View Post
    Hello All,

Thank you for the add, I am new to the site and will post pictures soon. I have a question about the transaxle on a 445 that I have rebuilt over the last year. Yesterday, I noticed my transaxle was extremely hot to the touch. I noticed the steam coming off the rear plate when I was spraying the tractor down with water. I had never noticed this before! I have not experienced any chatter or power loss and the fluid is at the correct level. It had a fluid/ filter change at the beginning of this season. Is this normal or should I be looking for a problem? The tractor has 880 hours or so...

Thank you in advance,

Scott
    The transmission temperature depends on two things. How hard it is working and how hot it is outside. On a hot day like most of the country is having. It's not abnormal for the transmission to be hot to the touch. A better way to measure it would be with a temperature gun. The kind that has the laser sight. Burning yourself only tells you so much. lol Like I shouldn't have touched that.

If the transmission has a fan and or oil cooler just be sure that they are in working order. A temp gun is also a good way to check an oil cooler.
    Drifterbike likes this.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:06 AM
    Thanks
    Check and clean the radiator/oil cooler screen. Make sure you have the fan shroud installed. Check fan belt. As stated.. The trans does get hot. Lay off washing it until it cools down. Cool water on hot components is bad.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:16 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,026 Times in 2,193 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xcopterdoc View Post
    Check and clean the radiator/oil cooler screen. Make sure you have the fan shroud installed. Check fan belt. As stated.. The trans does get hot. Lay off washing it until it cools down. Cool water on hot components is bad.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
    ^^^ This!
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements