Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: X738 Power Flo causing mower pulley wobbling

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:50 AM
    Thanks

X738 Power Flo causing mower pulley wobbling

Good morning,
    Yesterday I took delivery of a 2017 X738. I bought the tractor, 54" mower, 47" blower, 54" blade, cat 1 3pt hitch, mulch kit and a power flo bagging system. I "futzed" around with it last night: mower on and off; bagger on and off; 3 pt on and off; power flo on and off.....this is where my concern is. There is a pulley (not the pulley that the power flo attaches to. It is on right side of mower with a spring attached) that when I engage the power flo this pulley"wobbles" terribly and makes a noise I'm certain it shouldn't.

I removed the mower, made sure all bolts were tight. They were tight. Does anyone know if i'm doing something wrong or what may be causing the wobbling?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:34 AM
    Thanks
    From your description I think you are talking about the stacked pulleys on the right spindle. The bottom one is the drive pulley for the spindles and has the deck belt on it. The top one is added when you have a PowerFlow head for a collection system. I have never installed that stacked pulley as both my X585 and Z950R were bought from the dealer with the collection system so the dealer installed that stuff as part of the dealer prep. I am pretty sure that the top pulley just bolts to the lower spindle pulley. If it is just the top pulley that is loose and wobbling then look into how that top pulley is attached to the spindle. Like I said I have never messed with mine. If it is the lower one or more likely both of them in that case, then either the pulley is loose on the spindle or the spindle is failing. A failed spindle happens if the deck hasn't been properly lubed and the bearings are shot. The spindle being the part that passes through the deck and what the blade mounts to. The spindles are not too hard to replace, they normally just bolt in but I haven't had to replace one of those either since I lube mine every couple weeks. That is a much easier process on the ZTrack though as they are all accessible.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply. It is not the stacked pulleys. It is the next pulley in (I'd say the 2nd pulley from the right) or the 1st single pulley from the right. The dealer also set this up for me. I did not install anything. I just attach the implements.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I see it is a new machine so likely not a bad spindle.

Where did you get it by the way? I see you are in MN as well but there are lots of dealers.

Anyhow so this pulley is on the PowerFlow head or the mower deck? I would imagine the PowerFlow head on my X585 is similar to your X738 in that there is a lever that once you attach the PowerFlow drive belt to the deck, you have to move a leaver back and into a locked position to put tension on the belt. My Z950R has a different PowerFlow head in that it is almost all steel so much heavier duty. That one is held on the deck by a bolt and there isn't a lock position for the lever. Just a spring on the belt tensioner.

So to clarify, you are talking about the pulley on the PowerFlow not the deck and does your belt tensioner have a locked position and are you using it? It is possible that the design has changed since my 2002 X585.

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    In this photo you can see the metal handle I was talking about that needs to be moved to the locked position. My X585 is a slightly different design. No shock there in that it is quite a bit older.

John Deere High-Performance (HP) Power Flow Blower Assembly 48A - BG20748

JD X585, 54C deck,

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sennister View Post
    I see it is a new machine so likely not a bad spindle.

Where did you get it by the way? I see you are in MN as well but there are lots of dealers.

Anyhow so this pulley is on the PowerFlow head or the mower deck? I would imagine the PowerFlow head on my X585 is similar to your X738 in that there is a lever that once you attach the PowerFlow drive belt to the deck, you have to move a leaver back and into a locked position to put tension on the belt. My Z950R has a different PowerFlow head in that it is almost all steel so much heavier duty. That one is held on the deck by a bolt and there isn't a lock position for the lever. Just a spring on the belt tensioner.

So to clarify, you are talking about the pulley on the PowerFlow not the deck and does your belt tensioner have a locked position and are you using it? It is possible that the design has changed since my 2002 X585.
    i got it from Minnesota Equipment in Long Lake.

The pulley that wobbles is on the mower deck. As I mentioned, it is what I would consider the 2nd pulley in from the right. The stacked one comes first then this pulley.

If I understand correctly, the lever on the power flo unit is for belt tension once it is installed. I believe that I am using this lever correctly. I put the belt on then I tension it by moving the lever into place.

I am talking about the pulley on the deck not the power flo unit. The mower seems to run fine and the pulley does not wobble when the power flo unit is not attached.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by orono View Post
    i got it from Minnesota Equipment in Long Lake.

The pulley that wobbles is on the mower deck. As I mentioned, it is what I would consider the 2nd pulley in from the right. The stacked one comes first then this pulley.

If I understand correctly, the lever on the power flo unit is for belt tension once it is installed. I believe that I am using this lever correctly. I put the belt on then I tension it by moving the lever into place.

I am talking about the pulley on the deck not the power flo unit. The mower seems to run fine and the pulley does not wobble when the power flo unit is not attached.
    I'm not sure if You have the drive over deck or standard one but it shouldn't matter. This photo is a drive over deck. Pulley 1 is the stacked pulley set. Based on your description I think you are talking about the tensioner pulley which is # 2 on the attached photo. Some movement of this pulley would be normal. I assume the impeller blades on the PowerFlow move freely when the tension is released. When you get this wobble are you running it up to full RPM or is this at lower RPMs when first starting the PTO?

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by sennister; 08-09-2017 at 10:03 AM.

JD X585, 54C deck,

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    You are correct it is pulley #2 on your picture. The dealer just sent a mechanic here to my house (with a trailer). He started and ran it and said "this ain't right." He loaded it up on his trailer to take it back to the dealership and get it up on a hoist to check it out. He said he'd be back soon. I'll let you know what he reports back to me.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by orono View Post
    You are correct it is pulley #2 on your picture. The dealer just sent a mechanic here to my house (with a trailer). He started and ran it and said "this ain't right." He loaded it up on his trailer to take it back to the dealership and get it up on a hoist to check it out. He said he'd be back soon. I'll let you know what he reports back to me.

Sounds like you have good service. They will figure it out.

I was thinking extra load from driving the power flow may be causing the problem.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    They returned the tractor yesterday. The mechanic said they had to align the pulley and make an adjustment to something that has to do with the mulch kit. It does not make that noise any longer.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast