Help A Rookie Out

Thread: Help A Rookie Out

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-10-2017 @ 01:29 PM
    Thanks

Help A Rookie Out

Good Morning All,

10 year-old LA120 Figured out last week that seat switch had to be jumpered out or fuse was blowing.

Problem now is that if I let clutch out or try to engage mower deck the engine stalls out. I engaged mower with out engine running and I can spin blades by pulling on the belt. So I'm stuck as I don't have a ton of experience here.

Any thoughts/ideas greatly appreciated...

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    08-10-2017 @ 01:29 PM
    Thanks

Hmmmm

So I'm wondering if the jumper I rigged up is correct? I simply inserted a short length of wire into the plug between the White/Black and Black/White conductors.

It's acting as if there's no one in the seat still isn't it?

Are replacement seats available for this?

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:56 PM
    Thanks
    It may be possible that you have a break in the wire leading to the seat safety switch, therefore, jumping the harness at the seat still is not closing the switch. Could be the cause of the fuse blowing as well if the hot wire is the one that has been severed and it is tickling ground somewhere.
    I would follow the seat switch wires back to there origin and cast a sharp eye. Good luck and keep us in the loop.
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 08:47 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AppleJack View Post
    ... It's acting as if there's no one in the seat still isn't it?
    I thought you said the engine now starts and runs. It has to *think* someone's in the seat, which you successfully simulated by jumping the connector.

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJack View Post
    Are replacement seats available for this?
    Probably, but if it's the seat switch you suspect is bad, it alone can be replaced. JD tractors aren't allowed to sport new seats until the original has had at least one or two duct tape fixes.

The seat switch sounds like a red herring. I agree that the wiring to/from is suspect, given that fuses blow. You should be able to reconnect the seat switch and start it up (not move or engage the blades.) When you were out mowing, the vibration *found* the short and shut it down.

So you might replicate this by examining the wiring and looking for cuts/abrasions ... you might also re-bypass the seat switch and remove the deck for complete access. While idling, move the seat wires and see if that won't blow the fuse again. If so, that wire is bad ...

re: gear clutch or mower engagement

Sounds unrelated and coincidental to me, i.e. more like a carburetor / low power symptom. But I don't want you to go down any fuel or spark rabbit holes so long as there's still an unresolved fuse blowing sometimes.

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements