Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Plastic pulley covers ??

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:38 PM
    Thanks

Plastic pulley covers ??

Getting ready to pull the plastic pulley covers off of my 53hc deck seems all they are good for is collecting large amounts of grass and they prevent you from cleaning it out ?? Any one have a better idea ?? Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:00 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,549 Times in 1,172 Posts
    Nope! Yank 'em! Never look back!
    Levi, Robnik and 99srxman like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:20 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,181 Posts
    I remove the covers(it is a shield) when new. When I sell the mower, I install the covers. Makes for a better impression to the buyer.

As a side note, I don't let anyone around the mower while it's in operation. A removed shield is a liability on the person who removed it.
    mjncad, DRobinson, keefus and 2 others like this.
    Michael

'84 JD 750
    '08 JD Z445
    '71 JD 15 Chainsaw
    And a bunch of other stuff.

" If there's no one around to smell me, do I really stink"?
    - John Wells - Brewster County, West Texas.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Understood I am the only one who uses it so it shall be done thanks...
    mjncad, Levi and Robnik like this.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Removed the covers on my 54" deck after the first season. They were packed full of junk. However I didn't choose to leave them off. Mostly because grass comes out of the mounting holes when cutting with the covers removed.
    When I service my deck I just remove the covers to clean under them. It's only one bolt each to get them off.
    My covers have a little slit cut into them on each side. They came this way from the factory. I just use the leaf blower on them between cleanings. I assume that's what the slits are for.
    Last edited by H-D dealer dude; 08-13-2017 at 05:14 AM.
    Robnik likes this.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:00 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,549 Times in 1,172 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by H-D dealer dude View Post
    Removed the covers on my 54" deck after the first season. They were packed full of junk. However I didn't choose to leave them off. Mostly because grass comes out of the mounting holes when cutting with the covers removed.
    Same here. Only I bought some yellow Gorilla tape and put some small squares over the mounting holes to prevent grass from coming out. The tape lasts forever and the yellow blends in so well you can't even see it unless you look carefully.

My covers have a little slit cut into them on each side. They came this way from the factory. I just use the leaf blower on them between cleanings. I assume that's what the slits are for.
    Mine have the same slits and I too would hit them with the leaf blower after every mower session but they would still eventually build up with junk. I finally decided to stop the madness and removed them for good (along with the hose wash port). Now the spindles stay perfectly clean. Actually, I think the slots are an attempt at cooling because those pulleys get VERY hot while you are mowing.

The newer decks now have spring loaded hinges on the covers so it's much easier to lift them up to clean under them.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Same here. Only I bought some yellow Gorilla tape and put some small squares over the mounting holes to prevent grass from coming out. The tape lasts forever and the yellow blends in so well you can't even see it unless you look carefully.

Mine have the same slits and I too would hit them with the leaf blower after every mower session but they would still eventually build up with junk. I finally decided to stop the madness and removed them for good (along with the hose wash port). Now the spindles stay perfectly clean. Actually, I think the slots are an attempt at cooling because those pulleys get VERY hot while you are mowing.

The newer decks now have spring loaded hinges on the covers so it's much easier to lift them up to clean under them.
    Just pulled mine about 10 hours ago. One side had a little bit but the other side was clean. Was amazed myself because I didn't do it before start of the season. I think chopping fall debris is the biggest culprit.
    Levi and Robnik like this.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    08-17-2019 @ 07:03 AM
    Thanks
    X320 with 48 deck. I removed the guards today and left the collected grass in place. Cut the little openings larger today and reinstalled. Worked good on the non discharge side, not so much on the discharge side. Church mower so I do not disable anything due to other operators and liability concerns. The "openings" on the 7 Iron deck on my X740 are large enough to remove any collected debris after mowing. The 50" decks for the 318 and 285 don't have the shields installed.
    Robnik likes this.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Well that was easy and now much easier to keep clean
    Levi and Robnik like this.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:16 PM
    Thanks
    I pulled mine off of my deck (LA135) this spring. The belt kept falling off the pulleys, so I had to put them on. The covers seem to keep the belt aligned.
    Yes, I checked the tension but the belt is still wicked loose. Pretty sure it is the original belt, so maybe it is just all stretch out.

Long story short, I wanted to pull mine off, but had to put them back on.
    Robnik likes this.
    2016 1025R TLB (Marshawn) with Piranha tooth bar
    HLA 42" Forks
    Frontier LR2060L Landscape rake
    2019 X370 mowing machine with snowblower attachment
    County Line 3 point log splitter (Mr. Splitty)
    Cyclone Rake super sucker
    Stihl MS-271 chain saw
    Stihl KM-56 Kombi powerhead, string trimmer, pole saw, articulating hedge trimmer
    1998 Yamaha 4-stroke golf car (Tedy Bruschi)

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast