• 1 Post By H-D dealer dude
  • 2 Post By Nuke

Thread: 2017 John Deere X590 Frame 12 Gauge steel

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    02-03-2018 @ 05:51 PM
    Thanks

2017 John Deere X590 Frame 12 Gauge steel

I Noticed that from 2015 to 2016 and up, X500 series changed from 11 Gauge, to 12 Gauge Steel. Competitors are using 11 Gauge on much smaller cheaper machines. A few posts mention of bent frames on machines (other brands) with 12 Gauge machines from plowing or front buckets. I was planning on using my new X590 with a front plow, and Johnny Bucket, for distributing delivered stone at my property, and so on. Did I make a mistake with my 9k purchase of my x590 Tractor that is twice the price of competitor and a smaller weaker frame? Is there something I'm missing? I noticed JD also as of 2016 no longer makes even the John Deere Bucket for it. Is this because the frame is to week for it? Or did they strengthen the frame in other ways that thicker steel was not needed? any input would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kskomro View Post
    I Noticed that from 2015 to 2016 and up, X500 series changed from 11 Gauge, to 12 Gauge Steel. Competitors are using 11 Gauge on much smaller cheaper machines. A few posts mention of bent frames on machines (other brands) with 12 Gauge machines from plowing or front buckets. I was planning on using my new X590 with a front plow, and Johnny Bucket, for distributing delivered stone at my property, and so on. Did I make a mistake with my 9k purchase of my x590 Tractor that is twice the price of competitor and a smaller weaker frame? Is there something I'm missing? I noticed JD also as of 2016 no longer makes even the John Deere Bucket for it. Is this because the frame is to week for it? Or did they strengthen the frame in other ways that thicker steel was not needed? any input would be appreciated.

From what I read the 17's use slightly different linkage to say raise & lower the JD 48" plow. Didn't know anything about a thinner frame. Regardless of the brand if you use any tractor hard enough to bend the frame. You are abusing it not using it.

I don't think you will have a problem with a Johnny Bucket Jr. I looked into getting one for my X540. It looks like a quality product. If money was no object I would have one. What I really needed was the snow plow. If I was buying the JBJR plow I might as well get the bucket as a package. The price for everything quickly got over my budget. However the JBJR package would probably cost less than buying a JD 48" plow AND the tractor shovel kit together. Especially with the manual angling kit.

The plus side to the JBJR set up that I see is.
    1. You are able to use down pressure on the plow. The JD only lowers by gravity.
    2. The JBJR is power angling be it electric. The JD only has the over priced mechanical linkage but it's better than getting off the tractor.
    3. You can operate the bucket independently from the factory hydro lift. So you can use the bucket with the mower deck on and not have both of them going up/down together.

Didn't see anything about the Tractor Shovel being discontinued. However it was most likely due to the lack of popularity vs the kit causing damage to the frame.
    TJR345 likes this.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    08-10-2019 @ 03:43 AM
    Thanks
    I have a 2016 590X with the JD "Power Shovel" so far I've moved 22 tons of crushed stone and maybe 5 yards of top soil with no problems. The "Power Shovel" is good for moving/spreading loose material but not digging. Just keep the material you want to spread dry/covered so it doesn't turn hard from a rain/dry cycle and all is good. The shovel is easy on/off.
    H-D dealer dude and TJR345 like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements