Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: LX-279 Dies when warm

1. Top | #11

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by audiofn View Post
    I am just realizing I may have misunderstood your suggestions. Are you guys talking that the voltage is dropping and then the fuel shut off is engaging because of the low voltage?

This is a possible. However if the starter will crank away nice and strong it doesn't sound like a low power problem.

I'd try spraying carb cleaner into the carb after the engine dies. This test doesn't really cost you anything to perform. If it won't fire momentarily pull the spark plugs and check if they are all wet with fuel. If they are it is probably loosing spark.

Then I would perform the test with in line spark checkers as suggested.
    Last edited by H-D dealer dude; 08-22-2017 at 05:36 PM.
    JD4044M likes this.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #12

Last Online
    05-16-2019 @ 02:20 PM
    Thanks
    Like I said if I hit the clutch off it will catch and stay running. If it dies all I have to do it turn it over and it will start back up. So I don't think the starter fluid is going to tell us anything? Then when I engage the PTO again it will typically die again unless I let it run for a while with out the PTO engaged or let it cool down. Typically it will require me to let it cool down. I guess lets start with he volt meter and go from there.

4. Top | #13
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:15 AM
    Thanks
    The reason I lean towards using spark testers is that I can see each cylinder. It will show strong or weak or cutting out. Dont get me wrong.. The carb cleaner squirt is a good one too and I use it too but if I want a definitive diag I use a spark tester. If you own a mower it needs to be in your arsenal of tools.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #14

Last Online
    Thanks
    So used it the other day with tools at the ready and 4 hours of mowing not a hickup! It was cooler but I was mowing wet heavy grass so the load was high. Try again later and hopefully it will be hotter out.

7. Top | #15

Last Online
    Thanks
    Well still dealing with this problem and today I think I finally figured out what is going on. Was mowing the lawn today. Tractor died and this time no matter what I did it would not restart. I pulled the fuel line at the carb and there was no gas in it. I aimed the hose away from the tractor and turned over the engine and got no fuel out of the hose at all. I can see puffs of air but no fuel. This leads me to think that I am either having a vapor lock of some sort or there is a blockage in the fuel tank. My fuel filter is full of fuel. I have loosened the gas fill and that does seem to help.
    JD4044M likes this.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to audiofn For This Useful Post:

JD4044M (05-16-2019)

9. Top | #16
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:43 AM
    Thanks
    Saved me from typing Vapor Lock. Check how your fuel line is run so it is not near any hot spot but also check for pin holes in cracks they can stop the suction also if they leak to much.

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2