Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: LX-279 Dies when warm

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    05-16-2019 @ 02:20 PM
    Thanks

LX-279 Dies when warm

I have an LX-279 that keeps dying on my when it gets warm. In the last year I have replaced the fuel pump, carb, water pump, ignition control module, wire harness on the engine (not all to fix this issue but all done recently). Also replace the PTO because I had to break it to remove the motor to do the water pump. I can mow the lawn for about an hour or so. Then all of the sudden the tractor just dies like if you turn off the key. If I can push in the button to turn off the mower deck it will almost die and catch and run again. If I push the button to get the deck working again it typically will die. I am starting to wonder if it is a voltage issue? Any ideas would be amazing as other then this the tractor is working perfectly.

Thanks
    Jon
    Last edited by audiofn; 08-21-2017 at 07:50 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Thanks
    PS it does seem to be heat related because it will run longer when it is cooler and never has an issue when I am blowing snow.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Check the battery and charging system. Especially when hot. I assume that your engine will crank over after it stalls but just won't restart.

When the engine dies. Remove the air filter and give the carb intake a shot of carb cleaner or starting fluid. Then try to start it. If it runs momentarily you have a fuel issue. If not you probably don't have spark. This should get you going down the right

If you have access to a compression tester. Do a test on both cylinders. This way you know for sure that the engine is capable of running correctly.
    keefus likes this.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by H-D dealer dude View Post
    Check the battery and charging system. Especially when hot. I assume that your engine will crank over after it stalls but just won't restart.

When the engine dies. Remove the air filter and give the carb intake a shot of carb cleaner or starting fluid. Then try to start it. If it runs momentarily you have a fuel issue. If not you probably don't have spark. This should get you going down the right

If you have access to a compression tester. Do a test on both cylinders. This way you know for sure that the engine is capable of running correctly.
    Thanks for the ideas. I am starting to think that it may be voltage related. It just dies to fast IMO to be fuel related. I am going to try and bring home a volt gauge and test it again. Keep an eye on it. There are times when it dies that it will start right back up. Other times I have to crank and crank and crank and eventually it will start again. I did run a compression check and it is good. Other then this one thing it really runs perfect. If I can nock this out of the park I will feel good about putting some more money into the tractor because I have at this time done just about everything! LOL

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by audiofn View Post
    Thanks for the ideas. I am starting to think that it may be voltage related. It just dies to fast IMO to be fuel related. I am going to try and bring home a volt gauge and test it again. Keep an eye on it. There are times when it dies that it will start right back up. Other times I have to crank and crank and crank and eventually it will start again. I did run a compression check and it is good. Other then this one thing it really runs perfect. If I can nock this out of the park I will feel good about putting some more money into the tractor because I have at this time done just about everything! LOL
    Definitely check it out with a volt meter before you destroy the part. At least be 80-90% sure it's your problem. The solenoid should have power when the ignition is on. The plunger retracts when the wire applies power to it. This allows fuel to flow.

The engine will turn right off. That solenoid is what kills the engine when you turn the key off. This is why the engine runs for a split second before stopping. It has to consume the fuel already on the intake side of the solenoid when it closes. We were debating this when the other guy had the problem. He had to use the choke to stall the engine by giving it to much fuel and not enough air. Another person suggested that a kill wire also shorts out the magnetos killing the spark to shut it down. My theory was that the spark is only killed by a safety system and not the key. Like getting off the seat without the brakes on or while the PTO is running. However the guy already got a new part and fixed it before putting this to the test.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:21 PM
    Thanks
    On the LX models when the key is shut off it cuts off the fuel solenoid and cuts off spark. However, there is a slight time delay to burn off a lil fuel. The spark gets cut off just a second or so after the key is shut off and the solenoid is cut off. Make sense?

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
    JD4044M likes this.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by xcopterdoc View Post
    On the LX models when the key is shut off it cuts off the fuel solenoid and cuts off spark. However, there is a slight time delay to burn off a lil fuel. The spark gets cut off just a second or so after the key is shut off and the solenoid is cut off. Make sense?

I know the fuel shut off plunger is new as well at least in the last about year or so. Also tested it to make sure it was working. It is just odd that as soon as I shut off the mower deck that all of the sudden it starts to run ok again? If I start the mower up again as soon as it starts to run ok it will start to die again. If I let it run for a while with out the mower deck running and then start the mower deck again often times it will go for a little while then die again. So at this point I can only think that either it is somehow cooling off when it is running with out the implement engaged or it charges up the battery enough to run for a little while? I guess the volt meter will tell the tale?

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:21 PM
    Thanks
    I would check spark on both cylinders with an inline spark tester. Plug one onto each cylinder and mow until it dies. Check for spark right away. If you have spark its likely a fuel issue. The engine consumes way more fuel with the deck running.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    I am just realizing I may have misunderstood your suggestions. Are you guys talking that the voltage is dropping and then the fuel shut off is engaging because of the low voltage?

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by xcopterdoc View Post
    I would check spark on both cylinders with an inline spark tester. Plug one onto each cylinder and mow until it dies. Check for spark right away. If you have spark its likely a fuel issue. The engine consumes way more fuel with the deck running.

I was always leaning at fuel issue but it is so odd that it runs perfect for over an hour or longer some times before it just starts to act up. Once it starts it continues to do it unless I just let it sit and cool down, rinse and repeat...

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast