S240 Traction Belt Replacement

Thread: S240 Traction Belt Replacement

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-31-2017 @ 02:51 PM
    Thanks

S240 Traction Belt Replacement

Greetings again,

A month ago or i asked if there were any kind of instruction for replacing the main traction belt. As it turns out with the help of other forum members and purchasing and reading the service belt I now have the digital version of the service manual and I have gotten quite far along in the removal and replacement. Now once I get past removing the electric clutch so i can pull the main drive pulley down past the sheet metal belt retainers I can slip the new belt on, push the pulley assembly back up and then tighten the nut up on the clutch and I should be ready to go.

Only problem is that trying to loosen the clutch/pulley assembly nut is a pain.

If that is what I am supposed to be doing since that's what is in the manual.
    I'm using a 1 3/8 open ended wrench to hold the large spacer stationary and I am using a 16mm (5/8?) socket on a ratchet wrench to loosen the nut.

Unless of course there is a better undocumented way?

Any tips or advice?

Thanks in advance,

Blake

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:38 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,550 Times in 1,173 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprags View Post
    A month ago or i asked if there were any kind of instruction for replacing the main traction belt. As it turns out with the help of other forum members and purchasing and reading the service belt I now have the digital version of the service manual and I have gotten quite far along in the removal and replacement. Now once I get past removing the electric clutch so i can pull the main drive pulley down past the sheet metal belt retainers I can slip the new belt on, push the pulley assembly back up and then tighten the nut up on the clutch and I should be ready to go.

Only problem is that trying to loosen the clutch/pulley assembly nut is a pain.

If that is what I am supposed to be doing since that's what is in the manual.
    I'm using a 1 3/8 open ended wrench to hold the large spacer stationary and I am using a 16mm (5/8?) socket on a ratchet wrench to loosen the nut.

Unless of course there is a better undocumented way?

Any tips or advice?

Thanks in advance,

Blake
    Impact wrench!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	71eGGg+xfmL._SY355_.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	14.4 KB 
ID:	441554
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    07-30-2019 @ 05:29 PM
    Thanks
    ^^^^^^^^^ What he said ^^^^^^^^ An impact will make a huge difference in removing that bolt . If you don't have a compressor , there are electric driven impacts available at most of the large box stores . Good luck !!!!!
    Ron
    2016 1025R SILB (Self Installed Loader Backhoe)
    54 Autoconnect MMM
    JD Imatch
    Several homemade Mods
    Ken's bolt on grab hooks combo , Diff lock pedal , Oblong slings , Backhoe Steps
    Piranha tooth bar
    Artillian forks
    Armstong Ag 4' Box Blade
    Fimco 40 gal. 3 pt. sprayer
    Blue Hawk (?) Plug Aerator

2016 x580
    Power Flow 14 Bushel Bagger
    Brushguard
    Jeff's LED Taillights
    JD Mulch Kit
    42 Hyd. Tiller

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by romcjr View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^ What he said ^^^^^^^^ An impact will make a huge difference in removing that bolt . If you don't have a compressor , there are electric driven impacts available at most of the large box stores . Good luck !!!!!
    You can also buy battery powered impacts. However some are not that strong. Just today I was trying to get the blade off of my girlfriend's push mower. I was using my Mikita 18 volt 1/4" gun with a 3/8" adapter in the hex drive. Then a 5/8" socket attached to it. Unfortunately no dice.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements