Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: x300 reverse shutoff mower deck feature

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    09-12-2017 @ 12:29 PM
    Thanks

x300 reverse shutoff mower deck feature

OK, this falls into the category of "don't do this" it is unsafe.

Anyway, on my new to me x300 when I go into reverse it automatically shuts down the mower deck blades, I understand why but its a big nuisance for me.

I haven't studied the diagrams yet but I assume that there is a switch on the reverse pedal. When you step on it then I suppose it interrupts current to the electric clutch for the mower blade so you have to repeat the blade engage process again.

So...I assume if I bypass this switch that this feature will stop. Right? Besides that does the switch tell the tranny or anything else to do anything different in which case it will take a bit more reverse engineering to disable this blade shutoff feature. Or maybe JD has made it difficult to disable this feature. Hopefully, there is not a mystical black box where all the wires go into and out-of that shuts everything off if anything is bypassed.

I need to order a service manual, I suspect the answer is in there, but I have to believe many others have already done this. My bigger brother unmodified JD2210 doesn't have this undesirable safety feature.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    07-14-2019 @ 09:59 AM
    Thanks
    This should answer your question. I did this on a different model, but the youtube is for your model. See link below.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBRdECTkr1g

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerld View Post
    This should answer your question. I did this on a different model, but the youtube is for your model. See link below.

well duh....tks I should know by now to search youtube first.
    Based on his success I guess that switch doesn't affect anything else.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerld View Post
    In the ghetto, in the ghetto. Eric Cartman sings an Elvis song on his way to stay at Kenny's house. lol

Don't do it!

And I'm not talking about bypassing a safety system. I'm talking about doing it by just jamming a piece of wire into the plug. At least take the time and the $.50 to do it correctly. Build a proper jumper with spade connections that actually fit the plug. A zip tie to secure the loose harness wouldn't hurt either.

I could tell by the amount of dead grass on top of the deck that this guy is an idiot. How lazy is that? Seen another video on a guy doing the first 8 hour oil change on a new JD tractor. The deck was so covered with dry grass it looked like a snow cone. You couldn't even see the belt and pulleys.

Your 300 PTO switch is similar to the one on my 540. This is what I do to bypass the RIO. Lift the switch and jam my rubber JD keychain between the switch and dash. Works like a charm every time. Plus nothing on the tractor has to be changed or modified.
    keefus likes this.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Hey HD dealer,
    are you saying that the yellow switch on your dash snaps back down when you go into reverse? So then you block it up with the rubber wedge to keep it from going down?

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jd2210newbie View Post
    Hey HD dealer,
    are you saying that the yellow switch on your dash snaps back down when you go into reverse? So then you block it up with the rubber wedge to keep it from going down?
    Just like this. The key chain is kind of rubbery and pliable. A hard plastic one might not work as well.
    keefus likes this.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by H-D dealer dude View Post
    Just like this. The key chain is kind of rubbery and pliable. A hard plastic one might not work as well.

For some reason the picture didn't go.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2657.JPG  
    etcallhome and keefus like this.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    07-22-2019 @ 02:16 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by H-D dealer dude View Post
    For some reason the picture didn't go.
    I use a wooden cloths pin on a tractor others use. No safety features defected due to liability issues and unknown operators experience.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Yep, I confirmed that my x300 works the same way. That PTO switch is actually like a 3 position circuit breaker. If you pull it out all the way PTO is engaged, however, stepping on back pedal it drops down a notch not all the way down. So inside that switch must be an electromagnet that keeps the circuit closed when current is flowing but if it gets interupted it falls down 1 notch and you have to start over. Anyway, wooden clothes pin should work. Lots easier than poking around looking for that switch on the pedal bracket.

thanks for all the suggestions.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jd2210newbie View Post
    Yep, I confirmed that my x300 works the same way. That PTO switch is actually like a 3 position circuit breaker. If you pull it out all the way PTO is engaged, however, stepping on back pedal it drops down a notch not all the way down. So inside that switch must be an electromagnet that keeps the circuit closed when current is flowing but if it gets interupted it falls down 1 notch and you have to start over. Anyway, wooden clothes pin should work. Lots easier than poking around looking for that switch on the pedal bracket.

thanks for all the suggestions.
    Mine is a 3 position switch but not like a circuit breaker.

Down all the way - PTO is off.

Up one notch - PTO is on but if you press the brake or reverse pedals it automatically turns off the PTO. However the switch stays in the same position. To restart the PTO you must push the switch down/off then pull it up to on again.

Up 2 notches - RIO activated. You can now back up with the PTO engaged. This position is spring loaded so you must hold it up to keep the RIO activated. As soon as you leave go of the switch it returns to the on position. Once the tractor is moving backward the RIO switch can be released and the PTO will continue to run. However as soon as you release the rearward pedal it resets. Then you must lift the RIO switch again the next time you want to back up with the PTO engaged.

Pulling the switch all the way up. Then put the keychain between the switch and dash. This holds it up in the top/RIO position. Then you can back up whenever you want without killing the PTO.
    Last edited by H-D dealer dude; 09-10-2017 at 02:09 AM.
    jd2854020 likes this.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast