• 3 Post By H-D dealer dude
  • 2 Post By SulleyBear

Thread: Deck Axles arrived today

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-29-2018 @ 06:01 PM
    Thanks

Deck Axles arrived today

Larry was fast as all get out getting them to me, and tonite I removed the 60" deck from my JD 425. I was pretty surprised that I was able to lift the deck edge onto a floor jack, raise it up and install the axles and wheels, lower the deck, and lift it off, without much problem. To be careful, I then lifted the front of the deck onto the jack, raised it several inches, and then grabbed the front edge of the deck and lifted it right up on the wheels, not much of a feat.
    I'm 60 yrs old and in good shape, but have had back surgery a few years back, so I'm careful, but able to do anything I want to. At 160 lbs, and 5' 9" I had no trouble handling the lifting chore. I'll see tomorrow what the safest way to lay it down is.
    I'm a fan of the axles. The wheels are small, 3", but seem to roll fine,even on rough concrete. I wish they were bigger, but they work, so I'll wait til later to find a 6" or larger replacement.
    The deck on the axles is VERY steady. You would really have to try and do something way out of the ordinary to tip it over. I mean you could get really aggressive with cleaning and never even come close to tipping it over. I understand the liability chain, and it does offer another level of safety, but it'd be hard to imagine it falling without a lot of help.
    Would I buy again? Or go deck dolly? Yes, it's a much better idea, takes less space, and costs way less, so no deck dolly for me.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
    DRobinson, pcabe5 and TJR345 like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:58 PM
    Thanks
    darkrt likes this.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    If you have a 60" deck it's probably shaft drive from the tractor's PTO. Make sure that oil doesn't leak out of the gear boxes vent. Have read about people replacing the vent with a pipe plug. So it doesn't leak during storage on its side.
    Zebrafive, SulleyBear and TJR345 like this.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:49 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by channellxbob View Post
    Larry was fast as all get out getting them to me, and tonite I removed the 60" deck from my JD 425. I was pretty surprised that I was able to lift the deck edge onto a floor jack, raise it up and install the axles and wheels, lower the deck, and lift it off, without much problem. To be careful, I then lifted the front of the deck onto the jack, raised it several inches, and then grabbed the front edge of the deck and lifted it right up on the wheels, not much of a feat.
    I'm 60 yrs old and in good shape, but have had back surgery a few years back, so I'm careful, but able to do anything I want to. At 160 lbs, and 5' 9" I had no trouble handling the lifting chore. I'll see tomorrow what the safest way to lay it down is.
    I'm a fan of the axles. The wheels are small, 3", but seem to roll fine,even on rough concrete. I wish they were bigger, but they work, so I'll wait til later to find a 6" or larger replacement.
    The deck on the axles is VERY steady. You would really have to try and do something way out of the ordinary to tip it over. I mean you could get really aggressive with cleaning and never even come close to tipping it over. I understand the liability chain, and it does offer another level of safety, but it'd be hard to imagine it falling without a lot of help.
    Would I buy again? Or go deck dolly? Yes, it's a much better idea, takes less space, and costs way less, so no deck dolly for me.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
    I have always raised two jack stands up to a height high enough to catch the deck but not too high that my floor jack can't reach the deck when it is resting on the jack stands and I want to raise the deck, remove the jack stands and lower the deck the rest of the way to the floor. Just make sure your floor jack can jack higher then the height you place your jack stands so you can remove the jacks stands and use the floor jack to lower the deck slowly.

I position the jack stands each back about 1 foot from the front center edge of the deck to catch it on the edge. You have to position them so they catch the deck before it tips too much as that deck in it's entirety weighs about 300 pounds and is a hand full when you have to support it tipped that high.

Be extremely careful about trying to tip the deck directly onto the jacked up floor jack itself because the floor jacks have a tendency to roll backwards and off the edge of the deck lip if anything moves. That can be bad in a hurry.

Also consider using heavy duty zip ties to tie the PTO shaft end to one of the rear bracket with the spring pins on the back edge of the deck which hold the rear of the deck to the mounting arms on the tractor. The PTO shaft has enough weight that you don't want it moving around when you are raising and lowering the deck as it is this type of thing which can cause the deck to fall off the jack stands or floor jack when you are raising and lowering it.
    Last edited by SulleyBear; 10-05-2017 at 08:17 PM. Reason: added content
    Zebrafive and TJR345 like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements