LT155 Issues
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: LT155 Issues

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-07-2011 @ 06:11 AM
    Thanks

LT155 Issues

I did the usual pre-season maintenance on the mower. Changed the sparkplug, drained the oil, replaced the oil and fuel filter and replaced the oil. I went to start it after that and all I heard was clicking in the solenoid.

The next day I went to the local JD dealer and picked up a new solenoid and installed it. This time when I turn the key I don't even get clicks, nada.

I can jump the solenoid with a screwdriver and start the engine.

The engine will idle, the next problem is that when I release the parking brake, the engine dies. If I slowly release the parking brake, I can make the engine almost die and push it back in to make the motor rev back up.

With these series of events, I can't tell if it's the solenoid, parking brake safety or something else that is at fault.

I did some searching but didn't find anything related to these symptoms. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    JD

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:30 AM
    Thanks
    Welcome to GreenTractorTalk. Your problem is a little confusing. Did the tractor start ok before maintenance? Which terminals did you cross on the solenoid to make it start? The two large ones? There are two safety switches involved in cranking. The pto needs to be in neutral and the Brake needs to be locked. A bad pto switch, brake switch, key switch or solenoid could cause the non-starting, but the engine shutting down when you release the brake could be a bad seat switch. Or, you could have some damaged wiring. Any possibility of mice getting into the wiring over the winter?

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for the welcome.

The tractor will not start on it's own. It did start normally the season prior to the maintenance. I had to jump the two large posts on the solenoid to get it to start.

I picked up a second solenoid and will try that. It's looking like I'll have to start changing out all of the safety switches to isolate it. When I release the brake it acts as if one of the safety switches is not working. As for mice, that's always a possibility, lots of farms around here with plenty of field mice.

Thanks for the suggestions, it give me some places to start troubleshooting further.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,979 Times in 2,483 Posts
    With a good Ohm meter you can test each switch rather than just replacing them. You can also test for +12 volts at the small terminals of the solenoid while the key is ON.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    I'll dig up my multimeter and get to work on testing all of the switches. I never thought about testing the small blade terminals on the solenoid, will do that as well. Thank you for the great info jd110 and Kennyd, much appreciated.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    06-05-2014 @ 02:22 PM
    Thanks
    Let us know the results.

Brian

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Electrical issues are the bane of my existence, especially when I don't have a wiring diagram. I need to dig one of those up for this sucker tomorrow.

I did ohm readings from the following points and their corresponding reading, each reading was taken with the key switch to the ON position and me sitting on the seat unless otherwise noted:

Seat switch seated: ~70
    Seat switch unseated: ~70
    Brake Engaged: ~3.0
    Blade posts on solenoid: ~3.0-3.5
    Blade posts on solenoid when key turned to start: 0.0
    Blade posts on solenoid when brake disengaged: 0.0

I've tried two new solenoids and the old one.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,979 Times in 2,483 Posts
    I assume the 70 is ohms? That does not sound correct. The seat switch should be near zero like having the meter leads shorted together OR infinite (open). If it's reading 70 ohms both ways then that is a problem.

There should be two wires to the seat switch (I think), you can unplug it-the install a jumper wire between the two wire coming from the tractor and see if it will start.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    03-19-2013 @ 06:20 PM
    Sainte Genevieve, Missouri, United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    I assume the 70 is ohms? That does not sound correct. The seat switch should be near zero like having the meter leads shorted together OR infinite (open). If it's reading 70 ohms both ways then that is a problem.

There should be two wires to the seat switch (I think), you can unplug it-the install a jumper wire between the two wire coming from the tractor and see if it will start.
    I agree with Kenny on this one. Seat switch should, at least, change state. Try the jumper.

sent from the road
    Thanks,
    Kevin

Master Service Technician, John Deere AG, North America
    Advanced Service Technician, John Deere C&CE, North America

We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, have done so much, for so long, with so little that we can now do anything with nothing.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    No go with jumpering the seat switch connector. The joys of electrical issues. Taking it into the shop Saturday, it's beaten me lol. Thanks a ton for the help and suggestions.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast