• 1 Post By Manomet
  • 2 Post By Fozsey

Thread: 455 getting hot

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:51 PM
    Thanks

455 getting hot

Our 455 is getting hot under normal use. It got hot (close to the red zone) this summer when it was hot out about 45 min into mowing the yard. And today it is about 68 fahrenheit and it did it again and it smelled hot, I thought the mower deck belt was slipping. The radiator screen is clean and the radiator itself is clean on the outside as well. The anti freeze is bright green and 2 years old.The overflow tank and radiator cap seem to be working properly. It only has about 540 hrs, I don't think it needs flushing. My first thought was a sticking thermostat. Has anybody had a similar problem or got any brilliant ideas.
    Drifterbike likes this.
    2009 2520 200cx loader 46 Back Hoe 403 Rotary Cutter Artillian forks + 54" Snowblower
    1995 455 w/60" deck

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    08-17-2019 @ 04:50 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Manomet View Post
    Our 455 is getting hot under normal use. It got hot (close to the red zone) this summer when it was hot out about 45 min into mowing the yard. And today it is about 68 fahrenheit and it did it again and it smelled hot, I thought the mower deck belt was slipping. The radiator screen is clean and the radiator itself is clean on the outside as well. The anti freeze is bright green and 2 years old.The overflow tank and radiator cap seem to be working properly. It only has about 540 hrs, I don't think it needs flushing. My first thought was a sticking thermostat. Has anybody had a similar problem or got any brilliant ideas.
    A sticking thermastat will definitely cause this. You can pop it out and if its not stuck open you can boil it to see if it opens. If its been awhile, id say replace it. The other thing is to make sure its pressurizing. A water pump on the way out or another small leak can keep it from pressurizing which will lower the boiling point and cause an overheat condition. Another thing to check is the cooling fan hub. Ive seen one slip on the hub and not cool properly.
    Last edited by Fozsey; 10-10-2017 at 05:03 PM.
    Drifterbike and 69project like this.

~Brian~

1998 425/54 Deck/650 hours | 1998 455/60 Deck/54 Blade/1300 hours | 2003 GX345 48 Deck/47 Blade/Electric Pivot/900 hours (sold)

Yes I have an addiction and no I don't want help

4. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements