LX277 won't start

Thread: LX277 won't start

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    01-28-2019 @ 08:32 PM
    Thanks

LX277 won't start

Hi, I have an 01 LX277, while mowing today I saw some smoke come from the PTO clutch area. I shut it off. When I tried to restart it, it cranks fine, at normal speed, but won't start. It will start briefly on starting fluid.

I inspected all the belts. All were replaced within 2 months, they all look great. They're not binding on anything and they are on their proper pulleys. Not sure why I saw smoke coming from there. Everything spins freely when I crank it.

I just checked for spark and cleaned the carb, everything looked/looks fine. I have air, fuel, and spark. Why is it not starting?

Motor and trans oil are at proper levels and are fresh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by rappy700; 10-13-2017 at 04:44 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rappy700 View Post
    Hi, I have an 01 LX277, while mowing today I saw some smoke come from the PTO clutch area. I shut it off. When I tried to restart it, it cranks fine, at normal speed, but won't start. It will start briefly on starting fluid.

I inspected all the belts. All were replaced within 2 months, they all look great. They're not binding on anything and they are on their proper pulleys. Not sure why I saw smoke coming from there. Everything spins freely when I crank it.

I just checked for spark and cleaned the carb, everything looked/looks fine. I have air, fuel, and spark. Why is it not starting?

Motor and trans oil are at proper levels and are fresh

If the engine will run on starting fluid or carb cleaner you have a fuel problem. You should basically be able to keep the engine running by spraying either fluid into the carb opening. If this is true it's definitely a lack of fuel problem.

The first thing to check is if you actually have enough fuel in the tank. Don't trust a gauge if your tractor has one.
    Due to it's age some of the fuel lines could be dry rotted and cracked.
    How old is the fuel filter? Replace it if it's questionable.
    Is the fuel pump actually moving fuel?
    If your engine has a fuel shut down solenoid. This would be the next thing to check. It should have power when the key is on. Applying 12 volts should make it open and allow fuel to flow.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks

LX277 won't start

Thanks for the response, yes it seems to be a fuel problem and yes, I can get it to start/run if I feed it starting fluid

It has plenty of fuel, and it's fresh. We've been running it steady all summer so fuel has constantly been moving through it.

Fuel filter is in good shape

There aren't any leaks anywhere, fuel lines look fine

We pulled the supply hose off the carb and cranked it and fuel shot out, so there is definitely pressure.

We bought a brand new fuel solenoid because we were almost certain that's what it was, but there wasn't a change

I looked over all the wires and connections and fuses I could see related to the fuel solenoid and everything looks good

When cranking, we can't see or smell any fuel coming into the carb. It fills up the bowl, but doesn't seem to be spraying out into the engine. We've taken all the jets out and thoroughly cleaned everything even though it was spotless to begin with, but still can't get fuel to come through. Carb cleaner comes right through when I spray it in, but the fuel doesn't seem to come out anywhere. Also, the float looks fine, it's filled with air, not gas, just like it should be

It really seems like it's a problem with the fuel solenoid even though we just put a brand new one on tonight....can I just put a bolt in it to see if that will bypass it and let it run?

Last edited by rappy700; 10-13-2017 at 10:28 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for the response, yes it seems to be a fuel problem and yes, I can get it to start/run if I feed it starting fluid

It has plenty of fuel, and it's fresh. We've been running it steady all summer so fuel has constantly been moving through it.

Fuel filter is in good shape

There aren't any leaks anywhere, fuel lines look fine

We pulled the supply hose off the carb and cranked it and fuel shot out, so there is definitely pressure.

We bought a brand new fuel solenoid because we were almost certain that's what it was, but there wasn't a change

I looked over all the wires and connections and fuses I could see related to the fuel solenoid and everything looks good

When cranking, we can't see or smell any fuel coming into the carb. It fills up the bowl, but doesn't seem to be spraying out into the engine. We've taken all the jets out and thoroughly cleaned everything even though it was spotless to begin with, but still can't get fuel to come through. Carb cleaner comes right through when I spray it in, but the fuel doesn't seem to come out anywhere. Also, the float looks fine, it's filled with air, not gas, just like it should be

It really seems like it's a problem with the fuel solenoid even though we just put a brand new one on tonight....can I just put a bolt in it to see if that will bypass it and let it run?

You need to check if you have power to the solenoid wire. This sounds like your problem. Otherwise the new one should have fixed it. If not unplug the solenoid. Then connect a jumper wire between the solenoid wire and the battery positive post. This should force it to open. While doing this try starting the engine.

You can try a bolt but make sure that you don't damage the threads. You can also cut the plunger off the old solenoid. Someone recently did this to get the engine running. Until he could get a replacement part.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    We jumped power and the solenoid clicked and the mower started. Now we need to determine where the problem is in the wiring but we can just jump power temporarily. Thanks for your help!

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Now there's a new problem:

The mower runs and cuts fine now, but immediately after I shut off the blades, smokes comes out of the PTO area. What could that be from? All the belts are routed and tensioned correctly and are fresh

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Now there's a new problem:

The mower runs and cuts fine now, but immediately after I shut off the blades, smokes comes out of the PTO area. What could that be from? All the belts are routed and tensioned correctly and are fresh

Then you have some kind of electrical problem that is probably related. Maybe someone can post a wiring diagram of your system.

When an electric PTO smokes it is usually one of 2 things. The pull coil that engages it is cooking or the drive plate is still rubbing on the pulley when off. Any strange noises?
    Last edited by H-D dealer dude; 10-14-2017 at 01:55 PM.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Well I think it got smoked out. I was testing it out mowing the yard, and it shut off. It wouldn't turn back on. Even with it wired directly to the battery the solenoid in the clutch doesn't click or anything

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements