What deck do I have on my LX 277? ( and therefore what drive belt do I need to buy)

Thread: What deck do I have on my LX 277? ( and therefore what drive belt do I need to buy)

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-03-2017 @ 01:09 PM
    Thanks

What deck do I have on my LX 277? ( and therefore what drive belt do I need to buy)

Hi everyone,

I have recently purchased a JD LX 277- old but well looked after with a deck that is in good nick.
    I have only bought it as a trial to cut a few acres of my 12 acres before I can save up to buy a larger tractor and then use this for smaller lawn etc.
    The problem I have is within a few hours of mowing with it the primary deck drive V belt smoked and snapped. Now I think it was partly my fault for mowing log wet grass.
    The belt was marked JD M119696 CPT- so I bought a replacement- being on a budget I bought an aftermarket one.
    A few hours of mowing later that too has burnt and snapped.
    Part of this may just point to me overworking it, however I would appreciate advise on the deck and bely.
    I was told by the seller it is a 42" mulching deck, but it looks like just a side discharge. Ir measures approx 38-42 inches depending on what angle I measure.
    When researching belts I discovered thh M119696 is for a 44 inch deck. I wonder then if I need a different belt size and it was too small so over stretched.
    The deck has a sticker on it which is partly damaged and I can read serial number M0038DD2...rest is missing

Does this mean it is a 38" deck? Would therefore the right belt be a M117608 ( which I gather is longer than M119696)

Attached is a picture
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails File 16-10-2017, 15 41 10.jpeg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    09-21-2019 @ 07:25 AM
    Thanks
    Looks like the lower part of the sticker might read 38.

Anyway, if it is a 2 blade deck, just measure one of the blades and then times 2. If it is a 3 blade deck, flip it over and measure from the tip of each outer blade.
    Rudy-

Stable includes:
    2017 x580, 54" deck with Mulcher, sleeve hitch, rear blade, box scraper, 47" Snowblower, rear mount electric spreader
    1980 IH Cub Cadet 682, 50" deck, rototiller, front blade (inherited from FIL, in middle of full restore)
    Other Toys:
    Stihl MS290 Farm Boss Chainsaw
    Stihl BG56 Blower
    Stihl KM 111 Kombisystem

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:13 PM
    Thanks
    Cloudy1,

Aftermarket belts are not a good choice as they have a different V angle that Deere belts. Often the aftermarket belts are also a bit longer or shorter than factory, that also is a factor contributing to early failure. It is the V angle mismatch that causes burning as the contact area with the pulley is much reduced if the angles are not what the design intended...

Chuck

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rw580 View Post
    Looks like the lower part of the sticker might read 38.

Anyway, if it is a 2 blade deck, just measure one of the blades and then times 2. If it is a 3 blade deck, flip it over and measure from the tip of each outer blade.
    Thanks for the tip- It is 2 blades so Ill measure that tonight. I found a maintenance reminder sheet on JD website which has 38 deck image and it looks like that rather than the 42C; so ill order the correct belt this time and avoid cutting in the wet.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:13 PM
    Thanks
    JDParts does show some 'suggested' aftermarket belt types that should work properly as seen here:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M119696 detail.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	107.7 KB 
ID:	471266

Cut your overgrown grass in two passes with the deck set to the highest setting for the first pass. Wet grass should be avoided when you can...realizing that the UK is similar to our Pacific Northwest in having few dry days at certain times of year.

Chuck

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckv View Post
    Cloudy1,

Aftermarket belts are not a good choice as they have a different V angle that Deere belts. Often the aftermarket belts are also a bit longer or shorter than factory, that also is a factor contributing to early failure. It is the V angle mismatch that causes burning as the contact area with the pulley is much reduced if the angles are not what the design intended...

Chuck
    Cheers, Im learning fast.
    Problem is here in the UK JD spare parts tend to be more expensive, but going to order a genuine JD one this time once Ive confirmed deck size. I had a suspicion the aftermarket one I bought was the wrong length too.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckv View Post
    JDParts does show some 'suggested' aftermarket belt types that should work properly as seen here:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M119696 detail.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	107.7 KB 
ID:	471266

Cut your overgrown grass in two passes with the deck set to the highest setting for the first pass. Wet grass should be avoided when you can...realizing that the UK is similar to our Pacific Northwest in having few dry days at certain times of year.

Chuck

Have you got the equivalent for M117608 belt given that the deck looks like its 38" and its possible a prev owner installed the M119696 in error.
    Thank you

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 10:58 AM
    Thanks
    I have to disagree with one or more of the posters here on the quality of the non-Deere belts. It's not the belts that causes the problem, it's the poor maintenance and bad deck pulleys or other objects that need to be looked at.

I have a '99 JD 345 with 54" deck, and I maintain my equipment very thoroughly. The first five years using this new 345 I bought seventeen (17) mower deck belts... All John Deere brand. Then I got wise (educated) and bought three Stens brand...same size and looks a likes. That was in 2004. Here it is some 13 years and 646 hours later and I still have the original ( one) Stens belt I bought in 2004 on the mower. I still have the extra two just for reserve. So, don't go bashing other brands of belt when it is necessary.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Try turning all the pulleys by hand with the belt off. Just to make sure nothing is locking up. Everything should spin freely. Also feel for rough spots. Nothing should have side play either.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements