Looking for suggestions. Both of my tractors won't run.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Looking for suggestions. Both of my tractors won't run.

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-06-2017 @ 11:19 AM
    Thanks

Looking for suggestions

Hi guy's. I just found this internet forum. Glad that I did. I was looking through it earlier today and seen this particular thread. So I decided to sign up.

With that all being said, I am in some need. Suggestions If you will. I have both a GT235 and an LT180. Currently, neither of them now run. Sigh. My GT went down a couple of months ago. I haven't messed with it since that day. The GT started it's downward spiral last December when I was mowing. Through a lot of trial and error I replaced parts here and there. It got back up and running for several weeks. Then, my daughter was on it to where it stopped. After that, plus a lot of talk w/the local JD dealership we've decided on the float valve was stuck. That GT is a strong running mower, great engine, lots of power and fast. I love mowing with it. However, it's currently down.

On to another story. Thank you guy's for taking the time to read through this.

When my GT kept going down I purchased an LT from a friend. He kept up all maintenance over the years he had it. Actually twice a year he had it at the local JD dealership. The mower is 14yrs old and when I bought it off of him it only had 249hrs on the clock. Thusfar, I've put on 50hrs of mowing time.

Regardless of that. Last Saturday I was mowing and it just stopped. Stopped right in it's tracks and won't start. I'm not exactly a mechanic but have an idea on basic things. So I pushed it into the basement. Tried to start it, won't start. I lifted up the hood to see the fuel filter didn't really have any gas in it. Thinking it's a gravity fed system, the fuel pump might be the problem. Being that they are $25, not a big deal. I purchased it, put it on, still won't fire up. Next in line I go, hmm, maybe the filter it actually clogged or something which there were particles of nasty stuff and somehow some small grass in it. I changed that too. It still won't fire. Before I got on, I held a can at the bottom of the fuel line, tipped it to make sure there was adequate flow. I had gas everywhere, lol. So I went to the dealership. They said try the plugs in case the coil packs grounded them out or something like that. Again for $6, who cares but I didn't think it would work. I changed them, still won't start. So this leads me to, where do I go from here? The voltage regulator was changed just before I purchased it from my friend. The dealership told me it was an electrical issue. I have a close friend who is an ASE mechanic who thinks it's a fuel problem.

Any help or ideas, would be greatly appreciated. I should note that having both the GT and LT that do not actually run and cut grass is not on the favorites list for the wife. lol

Thanks,
    Jason

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Thanks
    Ok, so I called another friend up today. I was at my end of what I could do. I watched about 8 youtube videos, read all over the 'net but couldn't figure anything out. The friend I called up was a long time friend from grade school who is an aircraft mechanic. He isolated the problem within about 20min. So on my LT lawn mower there is some sort of, must be a sensor or another solenoid or a fuel shut off... of some sorts. It has 1 sta-kon terminal on it. I have found pictures on the internet of this part but can't find a name for it. He took it off from the bottom of the carburetor cleaned it up, made sure it still functioned as it was supposed to. It worked the first time we started the mower. After we shut it off, it wouldn't start again. The plunger didn't activate.

Tomorrow, i'll go get another one at the dealership, put it in and see what happens.
    Boy did my wife throttle me on the JD mowers in the basement. At least this will get up and running.

Next up will be working on my GT mower.
    Just a quick update.
    jason
    Levi, CADplans and Robnik like this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:05 AM
    Thanks
    That part on the carb is a solenoid. This parts illustration (#24) might be the part you need.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Solenoid.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	114.3 KB 
ID:	474330
    Levi and Robnik like this.
    - Phil -
    LT160 Garden Tractor
    3320 eHydro - 300CX Loader - 72" HLA SnowPusher 2500 - TSC Post Hole Digger - BB2172 Box Blade
    John Deere 26G Compact Excavator - 18" HD bucket - 30" ditching bucket - PA15B 12" planetary drive auger
    Ken's Bolt On Grab Hooks - Artillian 42" Forks - Edge Tamers

5. The Following User Says Thank You to OxPath For This Useful Post:

jfarnsworth74 (10-22-2017)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jfarnsworth74 View Post
    Ok, so I called another friend up today. I was at my end of what I could do. I watched about 8 youtube videos, read all over the 'net but couldn't figure anything out. The friend I called up was a long time friend from grade school who is an aircraft mechanic. He isolated the problem within about 20min. So on my LT lawn mower there is some sort of, must be a sensor or another solenoid or a fuel shut off... of some sorts. It has 1 sta-kon terminal on it. I have found pictures on the internet of this part but can't find a name for it. He took it off from the bottom of the carburetor cleaned it up, made sure it still functioned as it was supposed to. It worked the first time we started the mower. After we shut it off, it wouldn't start again. The plunger didn't activate.

Tomorrow, i'll go get another one at the dealership, put it in and see what happens.
    Boy did my wife throttle me on the JD mowers in the basement. At least this will get up and running.

Next up will be working on my GT mower.
    Just a quick update.
    jason
    When you apply 12 volts to that fuel shut off solenoid the plunger should retract and allow fuel to flow into the engine. When you turn off the key the power stops allowing it to close. You need to use a volt meter to see if you actually have power going to it when the ignition is on. By the sound of it the solenoid is good. You can also use a jumper wire between the wire from the solenoid and the battery positive post. This should activate it.

Another test is removing the air filter and spraying carb cleaner or starting fluid into the carb. Then try to start it. If the engine runs momentarily you have a lack of fuel problem.

Could also be bad gas. Any chance you put fuel from the same can into both mowers?

It could also be cheeper to send one of them to the shop for diagnosis. Rather than throwing parts at both. Witch can get expensive. A good tech should be able to point you in the right direction for under an hours time.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to H-D dealer dude For This Useful Post:

jfarnsworth74 (10-23-2017)

9. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    We have come to the conclusion that the spring on the solenoid has gone bad. It won't engage the plunger on a regular basis. It either stays stuck up or stuck down. The spring won't return or engage properly.

Ok, with that. I had no idea that this part was going to be so expensive. I mean seriously expensive. I seen them on-line from $55 to $80. I went to the dealership today and they told me it was $160. Seriously, that's not the number. Anyone know of a good, quality, on-line company that will sell OEM parts or a Kawasaki dealer that sells parts? I'm sorta new to this game.
    Any help is appreciated.
    jason
    Levi likes this.

10. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:23 PM
    Thanks
    I think if you google the part # you may find many places that sell small engine components but OEM will probably have a higher price than some of the second tier makers. See if a cross reference # comes up for less dollars if you are willing.

Check with Stens maybe.

https://www.stens.com/
    Last edited by Jeff B; 10-23-2017 at 06:34 PM.
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff B For This Useful Post:

jfarnsworth74 (10-24-2017)

12. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 10:02 AM
    Thanks
    The Deere part number for your solenoid is M138477.

That crosses to a Kawasaki part No. 21188-2011.

Cheapest price I found for it is $117.50 +shipping
    Levi and Yank like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JimR For This Useful Post:

jfarnsworth74 (10-24-2017)

14. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:51 AM
    Thanks
    Since the solenoid is junk, just grind it off so it acts as a plug for the float bowl and see if that lets the engine run. It's purpose is to prevent backfire at shutdown, which may not be a problem anyway.
    etcallhome and Levi like this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Zebrafive For This Useful Post:

jfarnsworth74 (11-04-2017)

16. Top | #9
    Last Online
    08-17-2019 @ 04:50 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zebrafive View Post
    Since the solenoid is junk, just grind it off so it acts as a plug for the float bowl and see if that lets the engine run. It's purpose is to prevent backfire at shutdown, which may not be a problem anyway.
    This ^
    Levi likes this.

~Brian~

1998 425/54 Deck/650 hours | 1998 455/60 Deck/54 Blade/1300 hours | 2003 GX345 48 Deck/47 Blade/Electric Pivot/900 hours (sold)

Yes I have an addiction and no I don't want help

17. Top | #10

Last Online
    09-16-2019 @ 08:03 PM
    Thanks
    Sounds like you need to buy a tech manual from JD or eBay. For the money and time you spent on guessing you could have bought a couple. Imho

18. The Following User Says Thank You to 4044M For This Useful Post:

jfarnsworth74 (11-04-2017)

19. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast