GT235 drive disengage lever not working. Tractor won't start.

Thread: GT235 drive disengage lever not working. Tractor won't start.

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    12-09-2017 @ 09:15 PM
    Thanks

GT235 drive disengage lever not working. Tractor won't start.

Hello, all. New member here. My GT235 worked fine 2 weeks ago when I mowed my place and then parked it, but now won't start. It just cranked well but there's no spark. Battery at 12.55V even today. To roll it around I pulled the metal lever in the rear like always to disengage the drive but it doesn't disengage the drive. Fiddled with it a minute with no results. I created another problem while doing that but that won't cover that right now. The circuit board for the ignition switch had both leds lit with the key on when I did all the below.

What I've done:
    shot some starter fluid in the carb. Still nothing.
    Topped the engine oil. Still nothing
    Topped the trans oil. Still nothing
    Meter tested, and even jumpered the seat switch. Still nothing. It works correctly.
    Checked fuses. Swapped fuses
    unplugged, replugged several electric connections.
    Jumpered sensor plug on left side of engine near dipstick. Kawasaki engine.

Nothing I did changed the no start condition.

At the very rear of the tractor is a switch (probably to disengage the mower while in reverse), I unplugged the switch and tried the ignition again and now have blown the ignition board (no led illumination).

But still, pulling the rear manual disengage lever to free wheel the trans doesn't disengage the trans. I'm afraid there is a trans issue causing the lack of spark issue as well.

Any suggestions? I'm going to replace the ignition board first get it back to power-on condition.
    Last edited by whatswrong; 10-22-2017 at 12:23 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Thanks
    Additionally, if this is not a good forum for such a question feel free to advise on a proper one.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 06:52 AM
    Thanks
    You're in the right place, just hang in there for someone who has the right idea. I know very little about this model but want to ask a few questions.
    Did you reattach the plug to the switch and try the ignition again to see if the led's work?
    After moving the tranny lever, did you try rocking the tractor back and forth to see if it would disengage?
    Do all pedals move easily and return to proper position without sticking?
    Did you engage the parking brake when you last put it away?
    Does this model have cruise control?
    Answers might give someone else a clue about the cause of your problem.

tommyhawk

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyhawk View Post
    You're in the right place, just hang in there for someone who has the right idea. I know very little about this model but want to ask a few questions.
    Did you reattach the plug to the switch and try the ignition again to see if the led's work?
    After moving the tranny lever, did you try rocking the tractor back and forth to see if it would disengage?
    Do all pedals move easily and return to proper position without sticking?
    Did you engage the parking brake when you last put it away?
    Does this model have cruise control?
    Answers might give someone else a clue about the cause of your problem.

tommyhawk
    Thanks for the response.

Yes, I plugged it back in and no lights. Which is why now that I blew that part up it no longer cranks at the moment. I feel confident it will crank again with a new ig switch. Battery is strong.
    I tried rocking and rocking the trans but no dice on moving. I tried it in all combos of parking brake going on and off, rocking it with and without parking and lever disengaged. Same result. The pedals move nice and easy too. Nothing out of sorts in operation prior to this.

It does have cruise and I fiddled with that too. Pulled all the way back is OFF, and forward is some level of motivation. There's nothing other than the cruise lever to engage cruise.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Welp, it's the end of the season but I don't want to wait until Spring to fix it. Anybody got any suggestions of where to find some answers?

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:22 PM
    Thanks
    Check the safety switches,pto for sure.If it is off move it a few cycles to see if maybe that might be your problem.Seat and pto will kill the engine.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 06:52 AM
    Thanks
    I have one suggestion. Buy a Service Manual for your model. Best money you will ever spend if you plan to keep the tractor. Price a new one and or post an ad for a used one. It doesn't take many hours at the dealer to offset the cost of one.

I had hoped one of the manuals I have would show your model, but they don't. One thing common in the trouble shooting sections was sticks or other debris build up on the tranny. I found that once on a GT275 (no manual for it), that had a start problem. Don't remember exactly what happened, but think it had something to do with the brake linkage. Some models that I have manuals for show a neutral safety switch on the tranny that is activated by the brake linkage. I didn't see that type switch on your model in JDParts. Just a button type switch near the brake pedal.

Anyhow, the electrical diagrams and info in the manuals can really help with repairs. They do leave out the secret answers to the weird, one of a kind problems like yours. Those are left for us. Guess we failed you this time though!
    I'm confident that you will work it out and share it on the "net".

tommyhawk

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Okay, thanks. I haven't had time to get into it deeper but maybe this weekend I can drop the deck and check out anything fouling the mechanisms. My yards are rough. This happened at the best time it could've. The PTO was replaced once a few yrs back, so here's hoping that it's not the culprit.

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements