What are the largest wheels I can put on LX277?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By coaltrain
  • 1 Post By Chuckv

Thread: What are the largest wheels I can put on LX277?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-03-2017 @ 01:09 PM
    Thanks

What are the largest wheels I can put on LX277?

Hi all

I have a 1996 LX277 with RWD
    38" deck
    I currently have 20 x 10 8 rear wheels

I cut on quite uneven terrain and sometimes its wet and I get stuck
    I realize I need a larger machine, 4WD and dry weather, but without all of that, and if im prepared to have the deck a little higher what are the largets wheels I could upgrade to on this machine?

All thoughts and advice welcome please

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:06 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    Sounds like tire chains would be a better option.
    H-D dealer dude likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    08-17-2019 @ 04:50 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudy1! View Post
    Hi all

I have a 1996 LX277 with RWD
    38" deck
    I currently have 20 x 10 8 rear wheels

I cut on quite uneven terrain and sometimes its wet and I get stuck
    I realize I need a larger machine, 4WD and dry weather, but without all of that, and if im prepared to have the deck a little higher what are the largets wheels I could upgrade to on this machine?

All thoughts and advice welcome please
    Could you post some pictures of your yard and elaborate on you getting stuck? I understand having to mow when the grass is wet sometimes but if you are getting stuck as in mud and having to be pulled out, the choice of tires isnt going to help your situation.

~Brian~

1998 425/54 Deck/650 hours | 1998 455/60 Deck/54 Blade/1300 hours | 2003 GX345 48 Deck/47 Blade/Electric Pivot/900 hours (sold)

Yes I have an addiction and no I don't want help

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    Sounds like tire chains would be a better option.
    Probably the cheapest, easiest and most effective.

Can't tell you what the biggest size is but eventually the tires will hit the back of the deck. Measure how much room you have been the deck at cutting hight and the existing tire. That should give you some kind of idea.

A couple times I looked at a few different aftermarket power sports off road tire catalogs. Was looking for some kind of aggressive front tires for my X540. I assumed you would be looking for something similar. They didn't have much available for either end. (tractor size wheels 8"-12" diameter). Ended up buying the rectangular block turf tires my local mower shop had in stock.

Speaking of turf tires. You could modify your existing tires. You can find different videos on YouTube. Cut out/off like every other block of tread. Kind of like a home made knobby. Seen utility knifes, wood chisels, hot scrapers or vibrating sanding/cutting tools used with success. If this is not enough traction chains would be the way to go. And still an option.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:42 PM
    Thanks
    Cloudy,

Just want to chime in here to be sure there is a distinction being made between TRACTION and just plain tire footprint. I live in the Pacific Northwest near Portland Oregon and encounter many wet stretches of weather where mowing a sloped property can't wait for dryer conditions, so I have some experience in this matter.

Increasing the diameter of the tire/wheel has the effect of lowering the final drive ratio, and by that means makes it marginally harder for the same amount of power to break loose the wheel under otherwise similar conditions of footprint, tread style, etc. If your tires are spinning when you apply throttle a larger diameter wheel may help a bit. This is in part why the 'old timers' preferred tall skinny tires on their trucks for driving in snow on roads -- for a given weight vehicle the tire would sink further into the snow cover and get down to the road surface and work as it should. It also would be less inclined to spin loose with clutch/manual transmission driving techniques. There are certainly constraints in this approach, ice being a major one...

Increasing the footprint of the tread yields a LOWER number of pounds per square inch so that lowers the amount of driven power that friction can convert to forward motion for each square inch of contact patch...but in dry conditions that is overcome by the increased overall area of the footprint. "Flotation" tires are good for sand and loose materials (think the top surface of deep snow...) but not really helpful on wet grass. It will keep you from sinking into muddy places as much as non-flotation tires would, however.

I found that proper tire pressures (10 - 12 psi) and mindful driving techniques were just as important as tire size and tread selection. I don't recommend the low end 'turf saver' style of tread as it is not at all aggressive, but you don't have to use lugs either. My tractors all used Carlisle Multi-Trac C/S tread which is a turf style tread with plenty of patterning, but the HDAP tread styles are a bit more 'bite' without risking too much turf damage. Two of my mowers were all wheel steering so that is if anything a further challenge to wet mowing, and none were 4WD. Here are a few pictures of the terrain at my last property. My wife did most of the mowing, so it was important that the equipment I gave her to use worked well for her...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cherry blossoms starting 2010 low res.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	483738

Name:	side yard.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	483746

Name:	view from gazebo.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	212.9 KB 
ID:	483754

...yes, it can be dry enough to take pictures sometimes...

Chuck

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    One more thought, Cloudy,

Changing to larger tires not only raises the effective height of your deck, it also further encroaches on the space between the axles to raise it without interference. On my 322 tractor, I up-sized my tires and wheels to make it a better tractor for using the tiller and the center grader blade, but it meant that I could not use full steering lock when the deck was on this tractor. My deck was the 46 inch cut common on the 318 and 322 machines, but if I had a 50 inch deck the rear tires might also hit the deck when fully raised. Here is picture of my two 322 machines, the one with the center blade has 26x12.00-12 rears and 18x8.50-10 front rims/tires, whereas the other has the stock size 23x10.50-12 in back and 16x6.50-8 in the front.

Name:	non-identical twins 1.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	483762

Chuck
    Last edited by Chuckv; 11-04-2017 at 11:37 AM.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckv View Post
    One more thought, Cloudy,

Changing to larger tires not only raises the effective height of your deck, it also further encroaches on the space between the axles to raise it without interference. On my 322 tractor, I up-sized my tires and wheels to make it a better tractor for using the tiller and the center grader blade, but it meant that I could not use full steering lock when the deck was on this tractor. My deck was the 46 inch cut common on the 318 and 322 machines, but if I had a 50 inch deck the rear tires might also hit the deck when fully raised. Here is picture of my two 322 machines, the one with the center blade has 26x12.00-12 rears and 18x8.50-10 front rims/tires, whereas the other has the stock size 23x10.50-12 in back and 16x6.50-8 in the front.

Name:	non-identical twins 1.jpg 
Views:	3 
ID:	483762

Chuck
    Got any close up pictures of your tires?
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Dude,

Here is a shot of the wheels and tires when I first got them home from buying them off a CL ad -- $150 for all four wheels and tires... Such a good deal that I could not leave them behind -- the seller had converted his SCUT to R4 tires and they came already mounted to a second set of wheels.

Name:	26x1200 -12 and 18x850 -10 wheels and tires.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	484330

I bought a second set of 26x1200-12 tires for my X495 and of course they cost more than that for just the tires...here are those freshly mounted to my diesel X495:

Name:	26x12.00-12 turf tires on x495.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	484338

I did not mind paying full ticket for those tires as I bought the 2004 X495 off another CL ad for just $1800. Being in the right place at the right time is nothing you can count on -- but you have to act when it does occur.

Chuck
    Last edited by Chuckv; 11-04-2017 at 08:19 PM.
    H-D dealer dude likes this.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Almost forgot -- I also had a quite similar tread pattern on my Electric Gator when I had it. Never had any traction issues on the hills or turf and not much on the loose gravel either since the vehicle was fairly heavy with those 8 big 6 volt golf cart batteries...

Name:	Turf tires for Gator.JPG 
Size:	155.2 KB 
ID:	484826

Name:	battery_bank.jpg 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	484834

These tires in this application do not have quite as flat a contact patch as these 'doughnuts' have a much different tire OD to wheel diameter ratio than our tractor tires (these are more like ATV tires...)

Name:	Gator and trailer - under 75kB.jpg 
Views:	19 
ID:	484842

Chuck
    Last edited by Chuckv; 11-05-2017 at 12:02 PM.

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements