Need Help! on JD 340 Lawn Tractor Tensioner Spring has come undone.

Thread: Need Help! on JD 340 Lawn Tractor Tensioner Spring has come undone.

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-05-2017 @ 05:57 PM
    Thanks

Need Help! on JD 340 Lawn Tractor Tensioner Spring has come undone.

HI ! My first post and Need help desperately.

Underneath the 340, there is a tensioner spring which helps lift a mower deck or snow blade. When you add a blade, or mower deck, you have to adjust this spring via a rod which has a nut on the end of it. The rod is connected to the spring via a large yellow plastic connector. This connector has a screw thread on it, which screws into the spring.

When putting on my snow blade yesterday, the tensioner spring came off the yellow plastic connector and with it, off the screw rod. So now I have no lifting power when I depress the peddle.

So - question, is it possible to get that yellow connector back onto the spring, or is this a 1 piece manufactured assembly which I will have to buy new and replace. If it is possible to reconnect, any advice on how to get it back on. The spring is very tightly wound.

Many Many thanks !!
    Last edited by vincej; 11-05-2017 at 11:35 AM. Reason: missed a word

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,223 Posts
    Can you show us a photo of the items in question?

Is the part you are talking about shown on this parts diagram?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	x340_lift_linkage.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	484810
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thank You ! Yes, the parts are 6, 7 & 8. from you diagram forming the assembly #44.

the yellow plastic connector is #7 which screws into the spring assembly #8. The rod is #6. So, the connector #7 has come undone from the spring.

Any suggestions how to get this back together, or should I just buy a new whole new assembly #44?

Many thanks !!

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    The whole assy (#44) is $65. I have a similar spring on my X500 but I never looked closely at it to see how it goes together. Is there tension in the spring that would make threading #7 back onto the spring difficult?

You may have to remove the assy to reattach #7 which you would have to do anyway if you replaced the entire #44.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I just looked in my X500 technical manual and the way they tell you to remove the lift spring assy is to:

1. Remove mower deck
    2. Unscrew lift assist spring bolt (hex end that sticks out the front of the tractor) to release all tension on assist spring. Release deck lift pedal to highest position.

I'll be the first to admit that the sentence about releasing the deck lift pedal doesn't make any sense to me.

But... if simply unscrewing the adjustment rod is supposed to remove all tension from the lift assist spring it seems like it would be easy then to re-attach the hex retainer in the spring (hopefully).

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thank you very much for the info. I will have a try at screwing the yellow plastic connector #7 back into the spring. However, getting the thread to pass into the spring might be impossible without some kind of tool which opens up the spring. Don't know until I have tried it.

Last question, if I have to buy a whole new part, is there an on line store somewhere? Also, where did you get the diagram from, so I can direct a dealer to the correct part.

Many thanks !!

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vincej View Post
    Thank You ! Yes, the parts are 6, 7 & 8. from you diagram forming the assembly #44.

the yellow plastic connector is #7 which screws into the spring assembly #8. The rod is #6. So, the connector #7 has come undone from the spring.

Any suggestions how to get this back together, or should I just buy a new whole new assembly #44?

Many thanks !!
    Looks like #7 screws into #8. Then the bolt threads into #7 after the J end of the spring is hooked up.
    I'd pull it all apart for inspection.

The real question is why 7 came out of 8? I'm betting that the plastic piece is cracked or damaged. Either that or a couple coils broke off the end of the spring. Once screwed into the spring the plastic piece shouldn't turn with the bolt.
    Last edited by H-D dealer dude; 11-05-2017 at 04:04 PM.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for that. I'll pull it apart yes. Possibly also I over screwed it in the wrong direction. Alternatively the thread on the rod became very dry and the connector #7 just froze onto it.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vincej View Post
    Last question, if I have to buy a whole new part, is there an on line store somewhere? Also, where did you get the diagram from, so I can direct a dealer to the correct part.

Many thanks !!
    GreenFarmParts.com is a forum sponsor here. A lot of the forum members, myself included, order all our parts from GFP. They offer GTT members a 7% discount.

The diagram came from JD Parts. Go to the JD website, select parts from the menu, and it will lead you to a screen where you can enter the model of your tractor and access complete parts illustrations and parts lists.

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements