Rust on fuel pump/sending unit

Thread: Rust on fuel pump/sending unit

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-29-2018 @ 06:01 PM
    Thanks

Rust on fuel pump/sending unit

I had to pull the fuel pump/sending unit on my 425 because the o-ring that seals it to the fuel tank was missing. Apparenty the previous owner replaced the fuel pump and forgot to include it. Side note: that wasnt the problem, it was a bad ground.
    Anyway, there was so flaky rust spots on the sending unit. I tried to clean them off, but no dice. I bought a new complete unit, and ill keep this as a spare, but what causes this? Without the ring, do you suppose moisture entered between heating & cooling of the tractor?

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by channellxbob View Post
    I had to pull the fuel pump/sending unit on my 425 because the o-ring that seals it to the fuel tank was missing. Apparenty the previous owner replaced the fuel pump and forgot to include it. Side note: that wasnt the problem, it was a bad ground.
    Anyway, there was so flaky rust spots on the sending unit. I tried to clean them off, but no dice. I bought a new complete unit, and ill keep this as a spare, but what causes this? Without the ring, do you suppose moisture entered between heating & cooling of the tractor?

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Not having gasket ain't gonna help. lol

Not only moisture going in but excess fuel fumes going out. Liquid could also leak out at times.

Moisture, air and metal will always equal rust. Keeping the tank full will help. I have seen tanks so bad inside that the pump/sending unit rotted off the mount.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements