John Deere 345 Mower has sat for several months. It will not start.
Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By livetohunt

Thread: John Deere 345 Mower has sat for several months. It will not start.

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-18-2014 @ 10:03 PM
    Thanks

John Deere 345 Mower has sat for several months. It will not start.

I can pour gas into the carb and it will fire right up and die when gas is spent. I unhooked hose and gas is pumping very good but appears it is notgetting to the carb. All hoses seem to be good and no leaks. Any suggestions also is there anyway to clean carb or float without having to disassemble

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    07-21-2019 @ 01:57 PM
    Thanks
    The float should be easy to get to with out much disassembly. If you can get it running by getting the float clean you can try draining the old gas and replace it with fresh gas and SeaFoam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    John Deere 318, 50in deck, 54in blade w/ power angle

Looking for JD Parts check here on JD's official parts website.

Have no idea where to start with JD Parts check here for a how to.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:25 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,405 Times in 1,547 Posts
    Just about any automotive business or Wally world sells a product Instant start or name close to that you pour in the fuel tank and carb to get the mower running
    At Advance it is with the lawn mower part items, probably same for the other stores.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:12 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,895 Times in 2,871 Posts
    x2 on the Sea Foam.
    Sounds like a fuel pump issue to me, if it has one.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks

John Deere 345

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    x2 on the Sea Foam.
    Sounds like a fuel pump issue to me, if it has one.
    Thanks for the replys. The fuel pump is working great. Took hose loose and put end in bottle and it half filled a coke 16 oz bottle within a matter of a few seconds. Dosen't appear to be getting gas into inside carb to fuel jet. Gas line from fuel pump to carb had gas in it. You can use starting fluid or gas poured in to carb and it will crank right up but die once gas burns out. Could it be a bad fuel shotoff solenoid. Is there a way to check the fuel shut off solenoid to see if it is bad. Thanks again for everyones help.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    11-12-2015 @ 05:24 PM
    Thanks
    Not sure if there's a float bowl drain. If there is, try to drain the bowl. If there's no drain, then remove bowl. If gas drains out, then it's not the needle or solenoid, and most likely a clogged jet.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

9. Top | #7
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:12 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,895 Times in 2,871 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by livetohunt View Post
    Thanks for the replys. The fuel pump is working great. Took hose loose and put end in bottle and it half filled a coke 16 oz bottle within a matter of a few seconds. Dosen't appear to be getting gas into inside carb to fuel jet. Gas line from fuel pump to carb had gas in it. You can use starting fluid or gas poured in to carb and it will crank right up but die once gas burns out. Could it be a bad fuel shotoff solenoid. Is there a way to check the fuel shut off solenoid to see if it is bad. Thanks again for everyones help.
    I had a very similar issue with a garden tractor of ours, all seem to be correct and working. I friend of mine told me to go out and pressurize the gas tank by putting my mouth over the filler neck and blow into the tank and not let any air out of the tank while doing it. I did just that and then jumped on the tractor and it started right up. I had to do that for a couple of days until the new fuel pump came in. Simple test.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

10. Top | #8
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:13 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,560 Posts
    I've seen a bunch of those fuel shutoff solenoids on the bottom of the bowl foul up with goo and essentially starve the engine for fuel. If that's the issue you may be lucky and be able to clean it up and get the plunger to move freely again.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks

John deere 345

Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    I've seen a bunch of those fuel shutoff solenoids on the bottom of the bowl foul up with goo and essentially starve the engine for fuel. If that's the issue you may be lucky and be able to clean it up and get the plunger to move freely again.
    Thanks to everyone especially Jason. Pulled the fuel shutoff off and check for voltage showed ok but the pin was stuck in open position' With a little pressure on pin was able to get it to move. So we cleaned the pin and used the starter switch to move pin in and out, cleaned the resdue off with carb cleaner. Started right up but missing. Next step drained the old gas out of tank refueled with new gas now starts and runs 100% better with slight roughness. Have already installed new plugs. I will get a little seaform for gas tank tomorrow and I thank it will it run a little better

12. The Following User Says Thank You to livetohunt For This Useful Post:

Gizmo2 (06-19-2014)

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    11-12-2015 @ 05:24 PM
    Thanks
    If the solenoid plunger was gummed up, the carburetor jet is most likely gummed up too. The hole in the jet is only a few thousandths of an inch in diameter, so a little gunk makes a big difference. Manually cleaning it will work much better than trying to chemically clean it with a super diluted product like seafoam. It's merely a matter of removing the jet with a flat tip screwdriver, and cleaning it with a fine pin or bristle and some carb cleaner.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements