2016 JD X354 Battery Issues

Thread: 2016 JD X354 Battery Issues

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    11-21-2017 @ 07:13 PM
    Thanks

2016 JD X354 Battery Issues

I have a 2016 JD X354 Lawn Tractor. It's cold here but not that cold yet. Averaging around 38 at night and 50 by day. I went to shed tried to crank the tractor over and it just barely turned over. This is a new lawn tractor going into its second winter. Last winter I had a trickle charger on it and had no issues over the summer. Since the tough start, I put the trickle charger back on and it's been good but should I have had a problem so soon?

Thanks,
    Steve

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sjm1027 View Post
    I have a 2016 JD X354 Lawn Tractor. It's cold here but not that cold yet. Averaging around 38 at night and 50 by day. I went to shed tried to crank the tractor over and it just barely turned over. This is a new lawn tractor going into its second winter. Last winter I had a trickle charger on it and had no issues over the summer. Since the tough start, I put the trickle charger back on and it's been good but should I have had a problem so soon?

Thanks,
    Steve
    Check your battery with a voltage meter. If it's below 12.5 volts it's time to charge it.

Make sure that your are using a battery tender not a trickle charger. The tender will turn off when the battery is full. A trickle charger just keeps adding voltage no matter what. Eventually the battery will be full and then you start to cook it.

Having a newer battery fail is not beyond the realm of possibility. Summer heat is what usually kills them. Then the cold usually finishes it off. You need more starting power and the battery gives up.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    11-21-2017 @ 07:13 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by H-D dealer dude View Post
    Check your battery with a voltage meter. If it's below 12.5 volts it's time to charge it.

Make sure that your are using a battery tender not a trickle charger. The tender will turn off when the battery is full. A trickle charger just keeps adding voltage no matter what. Eventually the battery will be full and then you start to cook it.

Having a newer battery fail is not beyond the realm of possibility. Summer heat is what usually kills them. Then the cold usually finishes it off. You need more starting power and the battery gives up.
    Yes I am using a battery tender... Thanks for the info. I will keep an eye on it.
    Steve

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sjm1027 View Post
    Yes I am using a battery tender... Thanks for the info. I will keep an eye on it.
    Steve
    I found out in the bike business. You not only have to ask whether they have a tender but you have to ask if they actually use it. lol

It's also better not to start the engine unless you intend to use it.

A word of caution. Never jump start your tractor if the battery is dead. Just charge it up or replace it with a new one.
    The electronics in these tractors don't play well with voltage spikes. Plenty of guys on here have jumped started the tractor only to find this caused some other kind of damage.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements