LX 266 starts but dies when release brake, Seat, Brake and PTO pass Continuity tests
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By H-D dealer dude

Thread: LX 266 starts but dies when release brake, Seat, Brake and PTO pass Continuity tests

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-27-2017 @ 12:49 PM
    Thanks

LX 266 starts but dies when release brake, Seat, Brake and PTO pass Continuity tests

Hello,

New here so looking for some help. The other day I was pulling the lawn sweeper around and my LX266 (Kohler 16hp) died while just driving. It restarted right away and ran for another 5-10 mins then died again and then it started but died as soon as I released the brake. This happened several years ago and I changed the Seat Safety switch without checking continuity of the switch and it fixed my problem. This time I thought I was getting smart and checked the all the safety switches for continuity. All good. I did some more research and tried going through the wiring and checking voltages on the safety circuit. Green LED is lit on the IM board with Brake on, but no green light when sitting on the seat alone (no Brake). Should green light be on then? I read somewhere it should be, key in on position. I have 12.22V at the battery, at the fuses, and at the two yellow wires coming out of the bottom terminal block (X3?) on the IM, one wire to the Seat switch and one to PTO. I do have 12+V at the return Pink wire in the top terminal block X2 from the seat switch, but no green light on unless I depress the brake. Does this mean my Key switch/IM board needs replacement? IE should the green light be on if either brake switch made or seat switch made? Since light will go on with brake on and motor will start but won't ever start with just the seat switch made seems weird the green light would come on for just the seat switch but I am no expert and do not have a service manual. Any help welcome. No broke wires anywhere that I can find. A mechanic told me it could be the key switch. I haven't checked that yet and not sure how to test it. Somehow he said it is part of the safety circuit too for power? I bought a new seat switch at the shop with the mechanic just to thank him for picking his brain and thought it couldn't hurt to eliminate it completely, even though I had checked the continuity. As I thought no change. So does anybody have ideas? How do I check the key switch to confirm it is bad? Also does anyone have the Service manual for the LX 266? I could sure use it if someone does. Thanks!

Joe

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Joea64 View Post
    Hello,

New here so looking for some help. The other day I was pulling the lawn sweeper around and my LX266 (Kohler 16hp) died while just driving. It restarted right away and ran for another 5-10 mins then died again and then it started but died as soon as I released the brake. This happened several years ago and I changed the Seat Safety switch without checking continuity of the switch and it fixed my problem. This time I thought I was getting smart and checked the all the safety switches for continuity. All good. I did some more research and tried going through the wiring and checking voltages on the safety circuit. Green LED is lit on the IM board with Brake on, but no green light when sitting on the seat alone (no Brake). Should green light be on then? I read somewhere it should be, key in on position. I have 12.22V at the battery, at the fuses, and at the two yellow wires coming out of the bottom terminal block (X3?) on the IM, one wire to the Seat switch and one to PTO. I do have 12+V at the return Pink wire in the top terminal block X2 from the seat switch, but no green light on unless I depress the brake. Does this mean my Key switch/IM board needs replacement? IE should the green light be on if either brake switch made or seat switch made? Since light will go on with brake on and motor will start but won't ever start with just the seat switch made seems weird the green light would come on for just the seat switch but I am no expert and do not have a service manual. Any help welcome. No broke wires anywhere that I can find. A mechanic told me it could be the key switch. I haven't checked that yet and not sure how to test it. Somehow he said it is part of the safety circuit too for power? I bought a new seat switch at the shop with the mechanic just to thank him for picking his brain and thought it couldn't hurt to eliminate it completely, even though I had checked the continuity. As I thought no change. So does anybody have ideas? How do I check the key switch to confirm it is bad? Also does anyone have the Service manual for the LX 266? I could sure use it if someone does. Thanks!

Joe
    Not sure of the green light on your exact model.
    The owner of my old JD dealer told me this. Hopefully it will help you out.
    If you are trying to diagnose a faulty safety system. Pull the engine cover to expose the magneto/coil/plug wire.
    The magneto should have one small wire going to a terminal on it. Unplug this wire and tape it back so it doesn't touch anything else. Then try and start the engine. The engine should run. If it does the safety system is the problem.
    Just be careful because you're circumventing all the safety systems. As in the engine will run no matter what. Like the transmission in gear and the brake off.

The flywheel magnet spins past the stationary magneto. This charges it and triggers the spark for the spark plug. It's kind of like a perpetual motion machine. As long as the flywheel spins it keeps making spark. That little wire grounds out the magneto stopping it from sparking. This will shut the engine down or keep it from sparking in the first place.
    BigJim55 and TJR345 like this.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements