Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By coaltrain

Thread: 455 battery requirements

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:31 PM
    Thanks

455 battery requirements

I think it is time for a new battery on my 1996 455.

What are the specs I need to look for when purchasing a new battery? One place I read that I need a size 45 and another said size 51 and another said U1. Are those all similar sizes?

I have the TY25881A battery for 130 hours and 38 months. It has struggled to start (from time to time) for over a year.

I guess the problem could be something other than the battery....hmmm.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:57 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,025 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Here is a spec sheet on Deere batteries.

StrongBox Battery Specification Sheet
    dieselshadow and Drifterbike like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

4. The Following User Says Thank You to coaltrain For This Useful Post:

Drifterbike (11-23-2017)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    08-17-2019 @ 04:50 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by testerg View Post
    I think it is time for a new battery on my 1996 455.

What are the specs I need to look for when purchasing a new battery? One place I read that I need a size 45 and another said size 51 and another said U1. Are those all similar sizes?

I have the TY25881A battery for 130 hours and 38 months. It has struggled to start (from time to time) for over a year.

I guess the problem could be something other than the battery....hmmm.
    If its cranking good, it isnt the battery. If its not, id get it replaced. Nothing good comes from a slow cranking diesel. Glow plugs are cheap and easy to check and replace. Mine starts easily without the glow plugs unless temps get down. I had problems with JD batteries over the years and now use a same rated walmart battery. The nice thing is its automotive size which makes it better from the beginning than a regular GT battery.

~Brian~

1998 425/54 Deck/650 hours | 1998 455/60 Deck/54 Blade/1300 hours | 2003 GX345 48 Deck/47 Blade/Electric Pivot/900 hours (sold)

Yes I have an addiction and no I don't want help

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    coaltrain, thank you for the link.

Fozsey, it does sound like it is cranking well (I'll get the battery tested tomorrow). If the battery checks out fine, what would you recommend I check after that?

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:11 PM
    Thanks
    After checking battery, then glow plugs and controller, check fuel system (microscope fungi, air bubbles, etc).

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    I searched for threads on how to check the glow plugs but couldn't find any information.

I have a multi-meter but I don't even know where the glow plugs are located. Do you happen to know of a diagram that shows their location?

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I searched for threads on how to check the glow plugs but couldn't find any information.

I have a multi-meter but I don't even know where the glow plugs are located. Do you happen to know of a diagram that shows their location?
    Dipstick side top of the engine under the air intake with the 22HP Diesel decal. You can see the first one here at the very back of the valve cover with the red wire. The other two are to the left moving toward the front. A simple ohms or continuity test verifies function without removal. Touch the terminal and ground. Your meter will zero out or beep if it has that. One bad glow plug matters as it only has 3.

Btw, a group 51 is what I run. The U1 is used in the 425 and has bolt connectors. A 31 is too big.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P_20171123_112804.jpg  
    Last edited by Fozsey; 11-23-2017 at 11:46 AM.

~Brian~

1998 425/54 Deck/650 hours | 1998 455/60 Deck/54 Blade/1300 hours | 2003 GX345 48 Deck/47 Blade/Electric Pivot/900 hours (sold)

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    I must have misplaced my multimeter. I will look for it again today.

There is one thing that I have noticed when the 455 doesn't start but cranks. If I push the brake lever further than I used to it seems to start (it could just be a coincidence). Would there be some type of circuit connection issue with the brake sending the signal that it is safe to start the engine?

Fozsey, thanks for the picture. That helps me locate the glow plugs.
    Last edited by testerg; 11-24-2017 at 08:54 AM.

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:11 PM
    Thanks
    Sounds like you need to find the brake safety switch and check it out, it maybe needing an adjustment. Yes it has to be depressed and the hydro in neutral and your butt in the seat for it to start.

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I must have misplaced my multimeter. I will look for it again today.

There is one thing that I have noticed when the 455 doesn't start but cranks. If I push the brake lever further than I used to it seems to start (it could just be a coincidence). Would there be some type of circuit connection issue with the brake sending the signal that it is safe to start the engine?

Fozsey, thanks for the picture. That helps me locate the glow plugs.
    That switch disables the crank circuit if functioning correctly. When you turn the key on with the pedal up the dash lights will run and the glow plug controller will run but fuel pump won't run and you should have a "no crank" condition. Pressing the brake will click the fuel pump relay with very audible click and the fuel pump will run. This doesnt require cranking to verify function. Your glow plug controller will light the dash light up and the glow plugs will continue to run, depending on engine temp, for several seconds even after the light goes out whether the engine is running or the brake pedal is depressed or not as long as the key is turned to run. You can determine where the switch is engaging by turning the key to start with the brake up and depress it until it cranks. Your fuel pump and cranking should come in simultaneously.

You can also use a test light to verify glow plug controller function by using a 12v test light and grounding the light and putting the probe on the terminal of a glow plug. Turning the key to run will light the test light and the plug will remain lit until the controller disables it sometimes for 15 or more seconds. Starting the engine isn't necessary.

Hopefully, this helps and isn't too confusing.
    Last edited by Fozsey; 11-24-2017 at 06:24 PM.

~Brian~

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements