• 3 Post By TJR345
  • 2 Post By 04x485

Thread: X485 - Starter clicks but won't turn over

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-10-2018 @ 02:44 PM
    Thanks

X485 - Starter clicks but won't turn over

Looking for some help. Tractor is a 2004 X485. It has been pretty much flawless to date. Today I filled it up with gas and I wasn't sitting on it but the parking brake was engaged. I turned the key, the fuel pump ran and when I turned the key to start the tractor the RIO light came on the tractor made a strong loud single click and nothing. No engine turn over or even an attempt to turn over.

I got on the tractor, released the parking brake, manually pressed on the brake and same thing. Tried this about 3-4 times and nothing. A loud click each time but doesn't attempt to turn over.

I tried again about 20 min later and it fired right up. I figured that was odd and tried it a few more times and she fired right up.

I let the tractor sit about 5 hours and just went to try it. She fired up each time but drew concern since When the key was held to fire it up there was a second delay or so before the starter engaged. Normally she fires right up. There is no delay.

Thoughts? I'm mechanically handy but to a point meaning I do my own tune ups, oil changes etc but that's as far as I get.

The battery is going on it's 3rd winter. It was replaced in Dec 2014 with a John Deere strong box battery from the dealer. I will add that when it goes to start up there is no weak crank like it's a battery issue. She turns over strong.

Thoughts? From what I found online it could be the solenoid but it appears the solenoid isn't an easy swap and you need to remove the starter etc.

Before I call the dealer and have them come get it I figured I would check here and maybe it's something I can fix on my own.

Thanks for the help.
    Brian
    Last edited by 04x485; 11-26-2017 at 07:30 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 04x485 View Post
    Looking for some help. Tractor is a 2004 X485. It has been pretty much flawless to date. Today I filled it up with gas and I wasn't sitting on it but the parking brake was engaged. I turned the key, the fuel pump ran and when I turned the key to start the tractor the RIO light came on the tractor made a strong loud single click and nothing. No engine turn over or even an attempt to turn over.

I got on the tractor, released the parking brake, manually pressed on the brake and same thing. Tried this about 3-4 times and nothing. A loud click each time but doesn't attempt to turn over.

I tried again about 20 min later and it fired right up. I figured that was odd and tried it a few more times and she fired right up.

I let the tractor sit about 5 hours and just went to try it. She fired up each time but drew concern since When the key was held to fire it up there was a second delay or so before the starter engaged. Normally she fires right up. There is no delay.

Thoughts? I'm mechanically handy but to a point meaning I do my own tune ups, oil changes etc but that's as far as I get.

The battery is going on it's 3rd winter. It was replaced in Dec 2014 with a John Deere strong box battery from the dealer. I will add that when it goes to start up there is no weak crank like it's a battery issue. She turns over strong.

Thoughts? From what I found online it could be the solenoid but it appears the solenoid isn't an easy swap and you need to remove the starter etc.

Before I call the dealer and have them come get it I figured I would check here and maybe it's something I can fix on my own.

Thanks for the help.
    Brian
    Times like this a digital voltage/ohms meter is your best friend. A decent test light is a close second.

Sounds like the starter/solenoid is starting to fail or get a bad spot. When the electric motor stops spinning the brushes end up sitting on a corroded part of the windings. This is when it won't turn over. Kind of like a reverse roulette wheel. Only when it lands on your number no start.

Now to do some tests.
    First check for good battery voltage. Especially when cranking. If all of a sudden the reading drops you have some kind of connection problem. (Like loose or corroded battery terminals/cables)

The starter and solenoid are usually mounted together as an assembly. You should have 2 wires going to the starter. A big battery cable and a smaller trigger wire. Unhook the smaller wire.
    Put the positive probe from your meter to this wire and the black/negative probe to a good ground. Every time you turn the ignition key to the crank position this wire should get power. Provided all the tractors safety systems are working/satisfied. If you don't have voltage at this wire your problem is in the electrical system.

Now take a jumper wire and connect one end to the battery's positive post. Then touch the other end to the solenoid terminal you removed the small wire from. The engine should crank over every time and run as long as you apply power. If the starter won't engage it's your problem. Just be careful because you are over riding safety systems.

If you get the starter stuck where it won't engage. Try tapping the starters case with a hammer. If all of a sudden it starts running a bad starter is your problem.
    Tomfive, 56Nine and TJR345 like this.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:50 PM
    Thanks
    Had similar problem with my 345.I would just turn the key on and off till it turned over,while looking for a new starter.Deere want ed$500 new $300 rebuilt.Found a new after market for $84 on Amazon.Even if it lasted 2 years I'm still ahead.
    DRobinson, Tomfive and BigJim55 like this.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    06-10-2018 @ 02:44 PM
    Thanks
    Apparently the gremlin has gone back to sleep. The last few days the tractor has been fine. I have only been able to duplicate the issue once. To do that I activated the PTO lever, tried to start the tractor (which of course it won't since the lever is engaged), disengaged the PTO and then tried. At that point I would get the loud click.

The dealer states it could be anything from a relay, PTO switch, starter etc but nothing can be tested until it breaks 100%. Kind of makes sense but just sucks that this could happen in the middle of a snow storm. Good news is I have a snowblower so it's not like I am dead in the water.
    BigJim55 and TJR345 like this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    04-16-2019 @ 11:55 AM
    Thanks
    Mine did that when the ground wire for the battery came loose at the frame. Turned out to be a quick fix, hopefully it'll be the same for you.
    '13 2025r, 62" MMM, H130, 54" snow blade, Rim-guard in rear, R4s
    '04 x485SE 600 hours, MC519, (traded-in)
    140 pending restoration

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    04-16-2019 @ 11:55 AM
    Thanks
    Mine did that when the ground wire for the battery came loose at the frame. Turned out to be a quick fix, hopefully it'll be the same for you.
    '13 2025r, 62" MMM, H130, 54" snow blade, Rim-guard in rear, R4s
    '04 x485SE 600 hours, MC519, (traded-in)
    140 pending restoration

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements