1993 LX178 Dropping cylinder and stalling? Coils? Ignition box?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: 1993 LX178 Dropping cylinder and stalling? Coils? Ignition box?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-06-2015 @ 01:22 PM
    Thanks

1993 LX178 Dropping cylinder and stalling? Coils? Ignition box?

I have a 1993 LX178 that I bought new. It has the Kawasaki FD440V twin cylinder liquid Icooled engine. This spring it started "acting up" After 25 to 30 minutes of mowing it will start cutting out, drop a cylinder and stall. After it cools down, it will start up and mow for another 25 or 30 minutes. I don't think it is a fuel or carburation problem as I have checked all of that system. It has fresh gas, and a new fuel filter. Fuel pump works fine and carb has been rebuilt and does not leak. It has new, properly gapped plugs and a new battery this spring. I suspect one of the coils is bad, or the ignition box itself is bad. As they heat up, it causes the open circuit, and the dropped cylinder and stall out. As both of these parts are expensive, I hate to just buy and hope they solve the problem, since I know you cannot return used electrical parts. Is there any way to test these? I have a VOM meter and know how to use it. Any other ideas? Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    02-15-2015 @ 06:49 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerA View Post
    I have a 1993 LX178 that I bought new. It has the Kawasaki FD440V twin cylinder liquid Icooled engine. This spring it started "acting up" After 25 to 30 minutes of mowing it will start cutting out, drop a cylinder and stall. After it cools down, it will start up and mow for another 25 or 30 minutes. I don't think it is a fuel or carburation problem as I have checked all of that system. It has fresh gas, and a new fuel filter. Fuel pump works fine and carb has been rebuilt and does not leak. It has new, properly gapped plugs and a new battery this spring. I suspect one of the coils is bad, or the ignition box itself is bad. As they heat up, it causes the open circuit, and the dropped cylinder and stall out. As both of these parts are expensive, I hate to just buy and hope they solve the problem, since I know you cannot return used electrical parts. Is there any way to test these? I have a VOM meter and know how to use it. Any other ideas? Thanks in advance for any help.
    Coil(s) it could be. First eliminate fuel quality entirely, as you had the problem after winter storage.

I have previously used a industrial/military spec heat gun. A hair dryer may also substitute! Just be VERY careful not to overheat or damage anything nearby, including the components that you are so carefully warming.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    06-09-2015 @ 12:00 AM
    Thanks
    after it drops one cylinder use the VOM to see if the coil is getting voltage. Then check to see if the plug is firing. or simple way is switch them from side to side to see if the problem then goes to the other side. Same with the capacitor.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to gimmo For This Useful Post:

RogerA (07-01-2014)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:52 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,254 Times in 2,561 Posts
    This could still be a fuel issue. Try loosening the fuel cap when it stalls out. The vent could be plugged and the tank could be in a state of vacuum. When it stalls, slowly crack the cap and listen for air.

Simple stuff first.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dieselshadow For This Useful Post:

RogerA (07-01-2014)

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    07-21-2019 @ 01:57 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    This could still be a fuel issue. Try loosening the fuel cap when it stalls out. The vent could be plugged and the tank could be in a state of vacuum. When it stalls, slowly crack the cap and listen for air.

Simple stuff first.
    This where I would start. I seen this issue many times here on the forum.

I there is probably ignition test steps in the tech manual, it might be a good idea to pick one up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    John Deere 318, 50in deck, 54in blade w/ power angle

Looking for JD Parts check here on JD's official parts website.

Have no idea where to start with JD Parts check here for a how to.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to felixm22 For This Useful Post:

RogerA (07-01-2014)

11. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:02 AM
    Thanks
    If you need a service manual, pm me with your email address, and I can email one to you.
    RetiredCarGuy likes this.
    Without ice cream, there will be darkness and chaos!
    Olympian Don Kardong

1965 110s, 1966 110, 1967 112, 2001 LT150, 2003 GT245, 2004 GX345, 2006 X320

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to T-Mo For This Useful Post:

RetiredCarGuy (07-01-2014), RogerA (07-01-2014)

13. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks

New Gas and cap vent.

Gas is new, I removed tank, drained it, blew out with compressor, blew out lines too. Checked cap vent, it is ok, and no "woosh" when cap is loosened. Is there an ohm reading the coils should have that I can check with my VOM to establish a base line and then heat up the coils to about 180 degrees and check again?

14. Top | #8

Last Online
    06-09-2015 @ 12:00 AM
    Thanks
    all coils are different so the ohm specs would only be found in the manual. Since you don't have one and have been offered one FOR FREE then take it (can't ask for better than that), you have no idea how much information is in this. A john deere mechanic at your local John Deere does not just go into the shop every day and fix things because he knows it all, he reads the manual to guide him on how to fix these machines. You can do the same thing, maybe not to the extent that he can but with a little mechanical ability and understanding things when you read them you will be able to do much more than just guessing on what to do.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to gimmo For This Useful Post:

RogerA (07-01-2014)

16. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks

Test Idea, what do you guys think?

Now that I have the ohm range for a properly functioning ignition coils, and they test within the range cold, here is my plan. I will screw together 2 small wood L brackets out of scrap 2X4 and mount a coil to each. Then into the wife's oven at 150 degrees for 30 minutes, to simulate 30 minutes of mowing. Then check again with my VOM and see if the coils are still within John Deere operating specs or if I have an open circuit? It sure beats driving it around in circles ( it's 100 degrees outside), or letting it idle for 30 minutes or until it starts to cut out. What do you guys think? Could not hurt anything, could it? Thanks in advance.

17. Top | #10
    Last Online
    07-21-2019 @ 01:57 PM
    Thanks
    I don't think I would place them in the oven. There is just to much of a risk of destroying something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    John Deere 318, 50in deck, 54in blade w/ power angle

Looking for JD Parts check here on JD's official parts website.

Have no idea where to start with JD Parts check here for a how to.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to felixm22 For This Useful Post:

RogerA (07-01-2014)

19. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast