1. Top | #1

Last Online
    07-05-2014 @ 06:13 PM
    Thanks

X300 Running rough after getting warm

Gentlemen,

Here is the problem:
    Bought new in 2008
    X300 w/42" deck is running rough. It starts fine, and then when I go to engage the blades it stalls about 65-70% of the time.
    But once I get the blades engaged it seems to run fine for about half the lawn (1 Acre).

Then when half the lawn is done it starts to run rough, almost like there is water in the gas.
    Also, while mowing the lawn if I have to reverse and the PTO/blades shut off, as soon as I go to engage them it stalls and then It doesn't want to start.
    I can get it to start with a metric ton of choke, and by turning it over for ever (shortening the life of my starter), so usually I let it sit and cool down for 30 minutes. Then it starts right up.

If I attempt to mow tall grass it bogs down, and starts to run rough. It smells as if she is running rich when this happens.

Things I have done to try to fix the problem:
    Changed ECU
    Changed Fuel filter
    Changed Plugs
    Air filter is whistle clean (Changed late last year)
    Cleaned Pre-Filter
    Cleaned gas cap, and made sure it had airflow through the pinhole
    Used an air compressor to clean all the fuel lines of obstruction (None was found).
    Bought some carburetor cleaner, and cleaned the dickens out of the carburetor. (Did not break it down).
    Took apart the fuel pump and cleaned the dickens out of that as well.

But I am still having the problems.

At this point I am at a loss as to what i can do. It is very frustrating, as I really do not have the money to be able to afford servicing by the JD dealer.

Any idea's?

Very Respectfully,
    Daveinny

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    10-22-2018 @ 03:28 PM
    Thanks
    When it gets to running rough... pull one of the spark plug wires and see if that makes a change. Do the same thing with the other plug wire. This will give you an idea if its the coil breaking down or something common between the too cylinders.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    07-21-2019 @ 01:57 PM
    Thanks

X300 Running rough after getting warm

What did your spark plugs look like? Also how old is the gas in it and is it treated with any additives such as stable? Even if the gas is fresh you may want to drain the gas tank and go get some gas from somewhere else, you may have gotten some bad gas from the station. Is the fuel filter installed correctly? It may be time to get a tech manual and start running some of the tests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by felixm22; 07-05-2014 at 01:13 PM.
    John Deere 318, 50in deck, 54in blade w/ power angle

Looking for JD Parts check here on JD's official parts website.

Have no idea where to start with JD Parts check here for a how to.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyP View Post
    When it gets to running rough... pull one of the spark plug wires and see if that makes a change. Do the same thing with the other plug wire. This will give you an idea if its the coil breaking down or something common between the too cylinders.
    I'll give it a try and see what happens.

Very Respectfully,
    Dave

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by felixm22 View Post
    What did your spark plugs look like? Also how old is the gas in it and is it treated with any additives such as stable? Even if the gas is fresh you may want to drain the gas tank and go get some gas from somewhere else, you may have gotten some bad gas from the station. Is the fuel filter installed correctly? It may be time to get a tech manual and start running some of the tests.

Felix,

Plugs were carbonated (black), but not overly so ... About what I would expect to see on old plugs. Gas has been run dry, and refilled with non-ethanol gas. Also tossed in a little gas conditioner.
    Fuel filter is installed correctly (Gas Tank ---> Fuel Direction ---> ---{ <=}-- ----> Pump).

Anyone have a link to the tech manual in pdf format??? Or is that wishful thinking?

Very Respectfully,
    Dave

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    UPDATE:

Ran the mower until it got hot .... Engine running rough:
    Grabbed what I thought was my insulated channel locks (Rubber Handles) got zapped a little, so I wrapped electrical tape around the teeth.

Right plug pulled Result: Engine bogged down a little bit, and recovered to its rough running state.
    Left plug pulled Result: Engine bogged down a little bit, and recovered to its rough running state.

Overall result: Mower still ran, although a little rough. No visible change between which side of the plugs were pulled.

Idea's?

Is there a way to see if I am getting proper voltage out of the coils? I know a spark tester will show me spark, but I want to know the voltage that is supposed to be delivered -vs- what is being delivered?
    Is there a way to test the voltage regulator?

What I am narrowing it down too, is either one or both coils are bad or tired (6yrs old come October).
    Voltage Regulator = Possibly bad
    Carburetor could use a rebuild kit.

Beyond that ... I am frigging clueless.

Very Respectfully,
    Dave

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by daveinny View Post
    UPDATE:

I know a spark tester will show me spark, but I want to know the voltage that is supposed to be delivered -vs- what is being delivered?
    Gents,

I measured between the plug boot, and the sparkplug tip with my multimeter: I am getting 17-19v (fluctuating) being delivered at the spark plug when it is first started.
    I will measure again once I get this pig warmed up again, and acting funny, and let you know.

Vr,
    Dave

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    OK ...

The results are in
    After the tractor has run for awhile.

13-14v being delivered to the left plug
    14-16c being delivered to the right plug.

I am thinking this isn't the ranges it should be at ... Considering I was getting 17-19v when it was cool.

Idea's/Thoughts, comments? Any small engine experts know what the proper ranges are?

Vr,
    Dave
    Last edited by daveinny; 07-05-2014 at 05:59 PM. Reason: don't know what I was smoking ... But I had on the delivered "Think I was meaning multimeter"

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    07-21-2019 @ 01:57 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by daveinny View Post
    OK ...

The results are in
    After the tractor has run for awhile.

13-14v being delivered to the left plug
    14-16c being delivered to the right plug.

I am thinking this isn't the ranges it should be at ... Considering I was getting 17-19v when it was cool.

Idea's/Thoughts, comments? Any small engine experts know what the proper ranges are?

Vr,
    Dave
    If I'm understanding you correctly you are inserting your volt meter between the end of the plug wire and the spark plug? If that is the case I don't think you are getting an accurate reading. If I'm remembering bacteria to my old auto shop days spark plugs should be getting about 50,000v and most volt/ohm meters aren't going be able to pick up the split second spike in voltage.

Dave, if your plugs were really dark I would look at the fuel side of the mix first. I would dissemble, clean and rebuild the carb.

John Deere 318, 50in deck, 54in blade w/ power angle

Looking for JD Parts check here on JD's official parts website.

Have no idea where to start with JD Parts check here for a how to.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    02-22-2016 @ 01:41 PM
    Thanks
    The neighbors x320 started running funky so they had me look at it. Pulled carb and found debris in the float bowl. Pulled filter and noticed the filter media had come loose and allowed junk to get by. Blew out fuel lines, installed new filter, cleaned carb. These carbs have very small passageways, jets, and air bleeds so it helps to know your fuel circuits when you clean. I normally do not need to buy parts if it is just a clean out on a newer machine.
    Green X744 and OLD JD 18" push mower among some blue, orange, and red.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements