Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: 425 Driving my Crazy...

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:19 PM
    Thanks

425 Driving my Crazy...

I have a 2001 425 I rehabbed since it was quite a rusty thing when I brought it home. It seems to run well and buzz right along. I changed all the fluids, plugs, new fuel lines, cleaned it up really well with replacement body panels and the like. Then I picked up a 54" mower for it, its in great shape, changed the fluid in the gearbox, new blades did some other nit-pick things to it. Installed it on my tractor and went to fire it up. Tractor stalls, figure I need more throttle, tractor stalls, hmm....one more time, it kicks the belt off the mower. Now I am frustrated. Put it back together, go to start the pto again and give the tractor some choke and it coughs spits and finally takes off. I have run seafoam through the fuel, fresh fuel, different octane, and it still will kill the tractor if I don't choke it. Is this a common issue or do I need to have the carb cleaned by someone with a ultrasonic cleaner? I would hate to have to replace it since it is probably very expensive. Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks

Adam
    2019 2025R, H120 Loader, 260b Backhoe, 47 QH Snow BLower, EL23 Kuhn Tiller, I-match, Heavy Hitch and misc. attachments

2016 X758, 54" HC mower, Quick Hitch, 60" blade, 3 pt hitch

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    02-15-2015 @ 06:49 AM
    Thanks
    Electric PTO or shaft driven to the deck?

Sure, it first sounds like it is a bit lean, when the load is applied. Hence, you easily look toward the fuel system.

However, is your battery and charge rate also OK? The PTO clutch is usually a high current device and may cause a temporary ignition reduction when applied. A weak battery or low charge rate may also cause this symptom.

I'm just not sure on your nice 425.
    Last edited by RetiredCarGuy; 07-07-2014 at 11:13 AM.
    John Deere X575 4X4 and a GT235 6 speed, plus an old Allis Chalmers.

U.S. Air Force SAC 380th Bomb Wing veteran.

My wife says that I now have too many "toys," however I call them necessary mission critical, strategic assets.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:38 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,417 Times in 1,550 Posts
    Can't remember correct name or part because it was 14-15 yrs ago , but seems the pto solenoid was bad ??? When first starting engine and after a min or two of idling , would try pto switch and engine would stall. Even running engine at full throttle engine would would stall at least 2 maybe 3 times then pto would run and was OK the rest of the day. Just a thought.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    06-16-2019 @ 06:51 PM
    Thanks
    take the deck off and try the pto with no load. If it malfunctions under no load: probably the solenoid. FYI, I always engaged mine at full throttle. I doubt it's carburetor. Might be governor too. Has the governor gear every been changed?
    Last edited by gittyup; 07-07-2014 at 05:11 PM.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I have engaged it at full throttle and it will still stall the motor. Thats why I was thinking it is lean. When I engage the pto when there is nothing attached it doesn't bog the motor or even know it is spinning. That is why I was leaning towards lean. Maybe I should just pull it off and go through it.

Thanks so far.

Adam
    2019 2025R, H120 Loader, 260b Backhoe, 47 QH Snow BLower, EL23 Kuhn Tiller, I-match, Heavy Hitch and misc. attachments

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 05:10 AM
    Thanks
    Does the deck turn freely? Don't know why it would pull the belt off...is something binding or tensioner bad?

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    The tensioner arm has a little up and down movement, not really much, I can put new bushings in it and see if it makes a difference. Should I replace the spring too?

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    06-16-2019 @ 06:51 PM
    Thanks
    how's the gear box on the deck? Can you turn the drive shaft by hand fairly easily (when not attached to PTO)? If it's pulling the belt off something must be binding up. Maybe a spindle bearing? Do they are turn freely without the belt? Idler operate freely? How about the U-joints on both ends of the shaft?

Could still be the solenoid, under load conditions, or even fuel. A guy over on TBN had similar symptoms (not exact) and it turned out to be fuel line to fuel pump. How does the tractor operate without the mower at different speeds, at fast/slow pedal pressure, on steep hills, with/without the PTO engaged (no load)? If it responds well to these, it's probably not fuel system. Have you replaced the hydraulic fluid/filter recently? PTO relies on hydro pressure.

I wouldn't touch the carb until last resort. I never touched my carb in 19+ years of use other than a little cleaner as routine maintenance. I don't think it's that if it's running right otherwise.
    Last edited by gittyup; 07-08-2014 at 09:57 PM.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    10-01-2014 @ 11:27 AM
    Thanks
    I would try loosening the governor and resetting it. I just got a great deal on a 425 and it was running horrible. I reset the governor and adjusted the carb and it runs like a champ!

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    The tractor started acting up the other day, like it is getting too much fuel. I pulled the air cleaner off and when I first started it, it ran fine, then after a minute or two I could see fuel coming up the carb, so I am going to pull it apart and clean the carb, maybe get a new needle to see if that cures the running issue.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast