Are suitcase weights needed when using a snow blower attachment?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Are suitcase weights needed when using a snow blower attachment?

  1. Top | #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Online
    07-10-2014 @ 07:30 AM
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Are suitcase weights needed when using a snow blower attachment?

    I will be purchasing my first John Deere lawn mower (X758) and will be using a 54" snow blower attachment for snow removal. I lived in Georgia the last 5 years so I haven't had to worry about snow blowing. Prior to that, I lived in Vermont and had a Cub Cadet, which worked great. I remember using 2 suitcase weights when I had the snow blower attachment mounted. The person I spoke with at the John Deere dealership did not think I would need them but I thought I would. Please let me know if you think I'll need suitcase weights with the X758 and if so, how many should I use? Thanks for the info!

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2
    56FordGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:35 PM
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    10,023
    Thanks
    480
    Thanked 1,654 Times in 1,086 Posts


    Just to clarify, are you planning on using a front or rear mounted snowblower?
    -Blake

    Your mileage may vary.

    JD 6410
    Some other stuff

    YouTube- Life in Wyoming

  4. Top | #3
    ejb69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:22 AM
    Location
    Green Bay / Pembine Wi
    Posts
    2,188
    Thanks
    52
    Thanked 124 Times in 120 Posts
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0139.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	687.4 KB 
ID:	30063Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0144.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	826.2 KB 
ID:	30064

    Your going to need some weight. I have my rear tires filled , 2 sets of wheel weights, + I put 8 42lb suitcase weights on the 3pt. I also run chains on all for tires.

    I don't put the weights on the 3pt or front chains on for light snowfalls, don't use 4x4 half the time. However when I bring the 1026 "up north" to open the driveway and there's 2' of packed snow , even with all this weight, in 4x4 and dif locked I still get some wheel spin.

    For those of wondering where upnorth is, its Beecher Wi. About 90 miles north of Green Bay.
    Gizmo2 and Vern1026R like this.
    Eric

    2011 1026R / H120 / 60D auto-connect, independent-lift mmm / 54" snowblower / 4' KK Pro rotary mower / KK 4' tiller

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to ejb69 For This Useful Post:

    Gizmo2 (07-07-2014)

  6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  7. Top | #4

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Online
    07-10-2014 @ 07:30 AM
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 56FordGuy View Post


    Just to clarify, are you planning on using a front or rear mounted snowblower?
    Front 54" two-stage snow blower. Thanks!

  8. Top | #5

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Online
    07-10-2014 @ 07:30 AM
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ejb69 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0139.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	687.4 KB 
ID:	30063Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0144.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	826.2 KB 
ID:	30064

    Your going to need some weight. I have my rear tires filled , 2 sets of wheel weights, + I put 8 42lb suitcase weights on the 3pt. I also run chains on all for tires.

    I don't put the weights on the 3pt or front chains on for light snowfalls, don't use 4x4 half the time. However when I bring the 1026 "up north" to open the driveway and there's 2' of packed snow , even with all this weight, in 4x4 and dif locked I still get some wheel spin.

    For those of wondering where upnorth is, its Beecher Wi. About 90 miles north of Green Bay.
    Awesome tractor. Thanks for the pics. I figured I would need some weight. Thank you!
    Last edited by GONE2VT; 07-07-2014 at 06:57 PM.

  9. Top | #6
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:54 PM
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    33,833
    Thanks
    5,693
    Thanked 3,885 Times in 2,862 Posts
    Welcome to GTT GONE2VT. Where are you at now, United States is pretty big?
    Last edited by Gizmo2; 07-07-2014 at 08:06 PM.
    Keith

    JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

  10. Top | #7

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Online
    07-10-2014 @ 07:30 AM
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Welcome to GTT GONE2VT. Where are you at now, United States is pretty big?
    Thank you! Living in Massachusetts. Not as much snow as I used to get in Vermont but still enough.

  11. Top | #8
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:54 PM
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    33,833
    Thanks
    5,693
    Thanked 3,885 Times in 2,862 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GONE2VT View Post
    Thank you! Living in Massachusetts. Not as much snow as I used to get in Vermont but still enough.
    Thanks for the updated profile. It really does help us all in our replies.
    I'm slowly getting to the point, a little snow is too much. But not yet.
    Keith

    JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

  12. Top | #9

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:36 AM
    Location
    Berlin, MA
    Posts
    4,540
    Thanks
    94
    Thanked 846 Times in 644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GONE2VT View Post
    Thank you! Living in Massachusetts. Not as much snow as I used to get in Vermont but still enough.
    Welcome to the 'hood!
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

  13. Top | #10

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Online
    07-10-2014 @ 07:30 AM
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    Welcome to the 'hood!
    Thank you!

  14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •