Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By JimR

Thread: GT225 Grinding on start after fuel problem

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    05-11-2018 @ 07:49 AM
    Thanks

GT225 Grinding on start after fuel problem

The fuel line plug on my GT225 had eroded and was spilling out fuel preventing it from starting. I couldn't get it to hold enough fuel to start it. Since I've fixed the seal, the tractor won't start. It clicks when you turn the key to the on position, as expected but when trying to start it, it grinds. Any thoughts on if this is related to the fuel issue or if I just happen to be having another issue at the same time?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 10:35 AM
    Thanks
    Nope. Sounds like your starter is acting up. Could be a weak battery, could be the starter solenoid or could be a missing tooth or two on a ring gear. That grinding is almost certainly the starter gears trying to engage to turn the engine. For whatever reason, it isn't fully engaging and catching the teeth on the ring gear.

The fuel system wouldn't have anything to do with that.

You may just need to throw a charger on your battery. If the battery is weak it may not have enough "ooomph!" to push that starter gear into place properly.
    romcjr and TJR345 like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

4. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements