Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree79Likes

Thread: X500 to redo gravel drive?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-28-2017 @ 06:23 PM
    Thanks

X500 to redo gravel drive?

Hi everyone long time lurker here. Great site! Anyhow I am having a hard time justifying a scut although I do really want one. I'm only maintaining 2 acres currently. I do have ground to move and a garden is in the works once I remove some trees.My question is can an x500 handle pulling a box blade and ripping up an existing compacted gravel drive? Potholes are driving me nuts and I need to rip it up. My drive is about 300 feet long opening to a 6 car parking area infront of my garage/shop. Now my machine will be primarily a mower 90% of the time. But an fel would be great as I cut a lot of wood and also have access to 20 acres behind my house which I will be cutting up anything dead/fallen. My entire house needs re graded to move water from my foundation and I also have to create a trench/ swell on one side to direct water between my septic , propane tank, and house (not much room on this side of house). Any way given those circumstances what do you think? Thanks everyone I included an over head shot of my property
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
    Last edited by Tjc50; 07-13-2014 at 11:41 PM.
    Paul Y. likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:29 AM
    Thanks
    Welcome to GTT.

Do you own the 20-acres you mentioned in your post, or are they owned by someone else giving you access?

Ideally you need a dedicated lawn tractor (X500) and a SCUT/CUT for everything else.

I'm trying to convince myself to get a AWS X700 series just for mowing duties as I'm tired of my Big Box Mart grade Deere L130. I don't need all that the X700 series has to offer as I don't mow that often; I just want it to make mowing less of a headache, especially as I get older.

I have a CUT for non-mowing duties.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:38 AM
    Thanks
    The x500 is a good lawn mower, however its too light duty for some of jobs you listed.

A 1025r would be a better fit for you. It may even be a bit small for going in the woods.

Buy as much tractor as you can afford.
    Gizmo2 likes this.
    Eric

2011 1026R / H120 / 60D auto-connect, independent-lift mmm / 54" snowblower / 4' KK Pro rotary mower / KK 4' tiller

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Really wish I owned the woods behind me. I am hoping the farmer sells it to me. Trying to keep a good relationship with him and help him out with small tasks. He doesn't like anyone else in our area so I think I am ahead if he sells . But I have permission to hunt, take an atv, or small tractor to gather firewood. I would also love an x500 for mowing and a larger fel for work described. But that will never happen . I am really shooting for a one truck pony to do all tasks . I looked into the zero turn and atv route but I am not a fan of that. My neighbor has that setup and is very limited to basically snow plowing and recreational riding. A sub cut I feel is my best bet and I know I won't complain about an fel. I used to run all kinds of equipment but my favorite was a 4x4 Steiner we had 3 of em when I used to lay block. Those little bastards were tough as nails!
    I recently tooled around on my friends brand new bx2370 and I was amazed at how nimble it was with fel off and mmm. I almost mowed his whole property I didn't want to get off. I actually really liked that bx felt solid. For ripping up my driveway with a box blade how bad is the 1/4" valve on the kubota vs position control on the 1025r for tasks like that?
    Also driving the bota around made me hate my d120 lawn mower. But I got it for 500$ with 30 hrs on it the first summer we moved in.
    Last edited by Tjc50; 07-14-2014 at 12:13 PM.

7. Top | #5
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:47 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,896 Times in 2,872 Posts
    I agree with mjncad and ejb69. A SCUT or CUT is what you really need.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    04-11-2019 @ 09:17 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tjc50 View Post
    Really wish I owned the woods behind me. I am hoping the farmer sells it to me. Trying to keep a good relationship with him and help him out with small tasks. He doesn't like anyone else in our area so I think I am ahead if he sells . But I have permission to hunt, take an atv, or small tractor to gather firewood. I would also love an x500 for mowing and a larger fel for work described. But that will never happen . I am really shooting for a one truck pony to do all tasks . I looked into the zero turn and atv route but I am not a fan of that. My neighbor has that setup and is very limited to basically snow plowing and recreational riding. A sub cut I feel is my best bet and I know I won't complain about an fel. I used to run all kinds of equipment but my favorite was a 4x4 Steiner we had 3 of em when I used to lay block. Those little bastards were tough as nails!
    I recently tooled around on my friends brand new bx2370 and I was amazed at how nimble it was with fel off and mmm. I almost mowed his whole property I didn't want to get off. I actually really liked that bx felt solid. For ripping up my driveway with a box blade how bad is the 1/4" valve on the kubota vs position control on the 1025r for tasks like that?
    Also driving the bota around made me hate my d120 lawn mower. But I got it for 500$ with 30 hrs on it the first summer we moved in.
    I upgraded from a 1986 JD180 lawnmower to a 1025R and the 1025R outperforms it in every way (including turning radius.)

FWIW....0 down 0% interest netted me a $279 payment for 72 months. Equipped per my signature below.
    -Scott-

2014 1025R - 60D 7-Iron MMM, H120 53" FEL/Ballast Box, Ken's hooks and Piranha toothbar, BB2048L Boxblade, 54" snowblade Quick-tatch w/full hydraulic lift/tilt.

You don't have to outrun the bear......just the other campers

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Any thoughts on position control vs inching valve. I understand the concepts but is the inching valve something you just adjust and learn? Is it still capable of doing a nice even job on a gravel drive or yard?

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    05-14-2019 @ 07:05 AM
    Thanks
    I'd bet a 1025R would do everything you ask it. I've got 2.2 acres and I've never been let down by my 1026R. I had a 318 and Polaris Scrambler combo when I moved here. The loader is so much nicer for yard tasks than my Yard Cart. I know you said it wouldn't happen, but for yard work having the 318 at my disposal is super handy. When I have the tiller and loader on my 1026R it's nice to have the 318 on the roller and spreader as 3 point attachments are kinda cumbersome to remove. It wasn't worth much for a trade in and I've never regretted keeping it. There are times I find reasons to use just to justify keeping it. Last week I "didn't" get to my lawn mowing duties in time so I "had" to fire up the 318 and run the lawn sweep over the yard. Worked pretty slick and its nice to get in the seat some.

An extra $.02. Get the snow blade system. 54" quick hitch blade. It's awesome! If you can't at first the loader will do the job. I got mine a year later and love it. I do wish it was built a little heavier so you use it for more than just snow.

Early 2012 1026R with H120 and 60" auto connect MMM

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    05-14-2019 @ 07:05 AM
    Thanks
    Here's a shot of when I tore out an old concrete chunk retaining wall.

Here's a picture of a test garden I tilled.

Collecting some fire wood.

Here's the blade setup I mentioned. Man is it SLICK! I added the wings. Kind of a fun project.

Here's a few of a chunk of yard I fixed up.

I don't get any commission from JD. So this is just something I threw together to help spend your $$

Go look at a dealership and see what you think. Mine actually let me demo a 1026R to see how it fit my property.

Early 2012 1026R with H120 and 60" auto connect MMM

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 636mullet For This Useful Post:

Gizmo2 (07-15-2014)

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:01 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,070 Times in 760 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tjc50 View Post
    Any thoughts on position control vs inching valve. I understand the concepts but is the inching valve something you just adjust and learn? Is it still capable of doing a nice even job on a gravel drive or yard?
    Position control is a good thing, like cruise control in your car. An inching valve (what I call a floating control) is like not having cruise. Like you said, you get used to it. You have to look at your implement, which I do anyway. A little practice and you can do just as good a job. Actually sometimes better because you are paying more attention.

My last three tractors have had floating controls, and even when i get on a machine with position control I rarely use it.

If I was using it in an ag application and turning at the end of every row position control would be a very good thing. For what I do grading a drive or the yard, I just use what I have and a little operator skill.
    Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast