Like Tree14Likes

Thread: x700 47" SnowBlower Question - Not Blowing Snow

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 06:54 AM
    Thanks

x700 47" SnowBlower Question - Not Blowing Snow

Hi Everyone,

So I got an x758 pretty much new with only 8 hours on it. I tried using the front quick hitch 47" snow blower, granted in the wettest heaviest snow I have ever seen, and it would'nt blow it. Just pushed it around. I didnt have much time to meddle as the snow/sleet was coming down hard at that point and I put it away.

The tractor is new, although I did find the head of a bolt which I assume is a shear pin snapped later on.
    Now im wondering.....

Was it the snow? I have no history with this machine, my Honda 928 moves anything, maybe I am lucky with that, but will the John Deere Front Loader 47" snow thrower move wet wet heavy snow, or to those people that use this model have you found the JD snowblower to be pretty bullet proof in moving anything?

Back to the broken bolt, I will probably have to buy some JD shear pins/bolts for this model snow blower....anyone recommend a good site or source? Local shop is miles away.

I did notice a ridiculously larger gap between the rotating impeller on the side wall of the snow blower, probably 3/4 inch, and from what I read that can cause them to block up like it did, whereas on the Honda its about 1/4 to a 1/2 inch max. Some people add impeller mods to the impeller, with rubber modification parts, are these even needed with a strong x758 diesel??

Any help would be appreciated. obviously cant tell if it will throw snow until it snows again but I need to get ahead of that point

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    09-19-2019 @ 04:50 AM
    Thanks
    Did you checked on the snowblower body (frame) for John Deere supplied extra shear bolts.

I had a 47 snowblower on a JD 318 some years ago, and you could move mountains with it.
    Regards

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    First thing that you need to do is check the shear bolts. It should have 3 of them. One on the second stage impeller that throws the snow up and one on each side of the spiral augers. If they are broken you should be able to spin it on the shaft with the unit off.
    The drive shafts would be next.
    Some units also have sprockets and drive chains on one side.

Letting snow and ice freeze inside the housing will also jam it up.

Depending on how wet the snow is vs how fast/hard your tractor is pushing it. The shoot can clog up. At this point you have no choice but to get off and dig it out. Some blowers come with a special plastic tool for this. Resist the temptation to use your hand. Seen the aftermath of this years ago and it wasn't pretty. Dudes lucky we were skipping school and I was driving down the street shortly after it happened. So we ran him to the hospital.

You can also use another person to watch the front of the running blower while you operate it. Just to make sure both sides of the auger are feeding snow correctly. Usually when only one pin shears it will only 1/2 work. Just be careful.
    2014 X540 with HDAP tires, 54" deck, brush guard, arm rests and cargo bag.
    JD 48" plow with angle from seat kit & heavy duty skid shoes.
    4 suitcase weights and chains.
    JD tow behind spreader.
    JD 42" lawn sweeper.
    JD 10P cart.
    JD JS61 RWD walk behind mower.
    Stihl KM110 power head with pole saw, shaft extension, power scythe, curved shaft edger, 2 straight shaft cutters (string & blade).
    Stihl MS180-CBE 16" saw.
    Stihl SH86C hand held blower vac.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    It states using rear suitcase weights ..... is it a must? Anyone using it ok without rear counter weight?
    x758,
    Front Mounted Dethatcher
    Rear Aerator
    Cart
    Lawn Stripe Kit
    25G Click-n-Go Sprayer
    Rear 3-point-Hitch and PTO
    Snowblower

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:16 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eire1916 View Post
    It states using rear suitcase weights ..... is it a must? Anyone using it ok without rear counter weight?
    Depends, are the rear wheels spinning as you encounter the snow? Is the front end heavy, lifting rear wheels off the ground? Can you turn when when encountering the snow? If any of the responses are yes, then you need weight and tire chains (steel or rubber)

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:35 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,128 Times in 961 Posts
    That blower should tackle/handle any kind of snow you through at it, mine does. A good coat of silicone spray all over the housing and impellers doesnít hurt either.
    goat704! likes this.
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:25 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 1,220 Posts
    Given that it sounds like you had a broken shear bolt with first use, is it possible that you engaged the PTO at full engine RPM? While not certain, it is possible to break a shear bolt this way. You always want to engage the PTO at low RPM and then slowly increase the engine to PTO speed. Another possibility is the dealer over tightened them when initially setting up the blower. They could have been just on the verge of breaking.

It would be interesting to know which shear bolt broke. There is one on each side of the auger and one on the impeller. Normally only one side of the auger bolts break which leaves the other side still spinning.

I recommend you use the JD factory sheer bolts and nuts. They cost about $0.75 each. You can get them from www.greenfarmparts.com who is a GTT sponsor. It might be a good time to also pick up some oil and filters for your first service interval. Be sure to keep the zerks on the blower well greased during the season. Also inspect the chain regularly when new as it will stretch. Too tight is worse than too loose.

As others have mentioned, there should be 4 extra sheer bolts/nuts mounted on the rear of your snow blower (see below).

Click image for larger version.†

Name:	shear_bolt.jpg†
Views:	12†
Size:	88.2 KB†
ID:	510249
    Last edited by jgayman; 12-16-2017 at 09:10 PM.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Hey guys
    Thatís all great advice
    I think that either the previous owner in the hour he used it may have broke a bolt or like you said over torqued when put together!
    I didnít know about the turn on low PTO and then increase it but that sounds like a good idea now that you bring it up!

I also bought silicone and PTFE spray to help. Now that I know once working that this thing goes thru anything thrown at it like wet snow then that helps!

Like I said I found a head of a bolt or nut so I do believe there will be a shear bolt broken!

The biggest pain in the arse at this time of year is
    Removing the bagger
    Removing the deck
    Storing the deck
    Installing the hitch and front blower and hooking up!!

At least an hour or soís work and who knows how much snow we will get lol I have the Honda track 928 and itís a beast I love it but the thoughts of sitting and driving does seem nice
    ColonyPark likes this.
    x758,
    Front Mounted Dethatcher
    Rear Aerator
    Cart
    Lawn Stripe Kit
    25G Click-n-Go Sprayer
    Snowblower

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 08:48 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonyPark View Post
    That blower should tackle/handle any kind of snow you through at it, mine does. A good coat of silicone spray all over the housing and impellers doesnít hurt either.
    Though it should be blowing some snow, with certain conditions I've seen blowers push it around more than through the chute. In fact, on my x758 with 54" blower it tends to push the snow far more than my old 345 single stage 42" did. I'm thinking the slower auger rotation speed may be a factor.

Rob
    ColonyPark likes this.
    2016 x758 w/60" HC mower, 54" snowblower, MC519 bagger
    2010 2520 w/61" H130 loader, TA 42" forks, KK 60" Pro tiller, iMatch quick hitch, KK middle buster
    1996 345 - Traded
    Other toys: Stihl BR600 backpack blower; McCulloch chainsaws: 10-10S, 700, 805, 10-10; JD trimmer

2520:__________________________x758:__________________________Faithful 345:___________________

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonyPark View Post
    Though it should be blowing some snow, with certain conditions I've seen blowers push it around more than through the chute. In fact, on my x758 with 54" blower it tends to push the snow far more than my old 345 single stage 42" did. I'm thinking the slower auger rotation speed may be a factor.

Rob
    Yeh, but the problem with mine was it never came through the chute at all! Was pushing from the start!

Now itís the....do I bother setting up the blower with all the work that has to go into it, or use the Honda 928! I donít have a huge driveway! Itís a curved driveway about 50 foot long, but Iím sure the tractor diesel driven 47 inch is more fun that the tracked 9HP 28 inch Honda
    ColonyPark likes this.
    x758,
    Front Mounted Dethatcher
    Rear Aerator
    Cart
    Lawn Stripe Kit
    25G Click-n-Go Sprayer
    Snowblower

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements