John Deere LT155 Stator replacement/upgrade
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: John Deere LT155 Stator replacement/upgrade

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-19-2011 @ 08:20 AM
    Thanks

John Deere LT155 Stator replacement/upgrade

Hello, I am working on an LT155 for a friend of ours. last year I replaced the battery as it kept going dead on her. This year same thing. So I got looking and found a wire burnt in half. It turns out that the burnt part was actually a diode in the wiring coming out of the stator. So, I called to order a new stator and wiring.
    I got a call back letting me know that the 3 amp stator I ordered was no longer available and I would need to "upgrade" the tractor to a 15a charging system.

The parts came in with absolutely no instruction at all. I installed the stator, most of the wiring was pretty straight forward. I came to a "jumper" as they call it with a strange looking white connector on it, and a couple of yellows and the brown striped wire that came with the kit. Not knowing where it goes I called the dealership. I eventually found that it is a headlight/fuel cutoff. After finding the schematic I traced the wiring and found a relay containing the wires from the switch as well as another wire with a connector not connected to anything. So, I figured the brown striped replaces the yellows coming out of the relay, and the new found yellow then goes to the new "jumper".
    So everything hooked up I reinstall the battery and without turning on the key, the lights come on. So I disconnected the lights and the tractor starts right up. Reconnected the light harness lights come on, but the wiring out of the newly added voltage regulator are getting hot. Shut down, disconnected battery, Wires did not melt, caught it pretty quick.
    So, I guess I am at a point of confusion. Dealer has no "upgrade" diagram. I have no idea why the lights are on all the time now or why the wires heat up. The switch has an off, on and start.
    Basically two wires out of the stator to the regulator, pigtails replacing the old yellow and green in the harness. New red wire from the center of the regulator to the old harness where the one with the diode went, connects to the red going back to the switch. Any ideas, suggestions or advice?
    Thank you, much appreciated.

Larry

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    03-19-2013 @ 06:20 PM
    Sainte Genevieve, Missouri, United States
    Thanks
    Larry, Your dealer should have been able to access this info on Pathways. Let me Know if you have trouble with this file.
    lt155_15a.pdf
    Thanks,
    Kevin

Master Service Technician, John Deere AG, North America
    Advanced Service Technician, John Deere C&CE, North America

We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, have done so much, for so long, with so little that we can now do anything with nothing.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks

Thank you

Thank you for the instructions, the dealer said there was nothing out there to explain the installation and that I would need to bring it in to have the mechanics look at it. It was pretty frustrating.
    Thank you for the help.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I feel kits should come with instructions. Did you get her going?

Sent from Kev's EVO.
    Thanks,
    Kevin

We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, have done so much, for so long, with so little that we can now do anything with nothing.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks

Oh no

Well, I just came back in from finishing it up. It does not have the fuel shutoff solenoid, so apparently the blue connects into the new harness and goes nowhere?
    Anyway after going over absolutely everything I connected the positive cable to the battery, then attempted to connect the negative (ground) Lots of sparking and the wires began to heat up.
    So now I am left scratching my head. Yes, I totally agree, this should have come with instructions from the beginning.

Thanks

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Were you able to look at the pdf file I posted? If not, PM me and give your email address. I'll send it that way.

Sent from Kev's EVO.
    Thanks,
    Kevin

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Yes, I got the Pdf, and printed it out to take with me. Followed everything completely and double checked it. Still, there seems to be a draw somewhere causing the negative to the battery to spark when trying to connect it to the battery. I found that if I disconnect the voltage regulator harness it is fine, but reconnecting it after making the negative connection is begins to heat up the wires into the regulator, or out of.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    And the battery voltage dropped from 13.5 to 10.5 volts after connecting it.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Now I went out and checked all of the connections again. Tried hooking up the ground and smoked the fusible link coming from the regulator to the solenoid. This is really beginning to irritate me. Argh

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks

New wire

Well, I had to order the wire from the dealership with the fusible link. $3.00 part, but I have no idea why it burned. It is connected to the red wire that comes out of the new voltage regulator that came in the kit.
    I did find that it appears they have something jumpered together, looks like it is defeating the reverse cutout for the mower deck so they can back up and keep mowing. Could that be the cause?

Also, I just went and checked the new voltage regulator with a ohm meter. I have continuity between the AC on the left and the Batt in the middle. Is this normal? Or is this a bad regulator?

Thank you

I just did another check with the continuity on the regulator since I cannot start the tractor. I have no continuity between one of the AC outer prongs and the inner one. The other outer has continuity with the inner dc prong no matter if I change the test leads.
    So I am not sure if this is normal or not.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Larryt; 05-16-2011 at 02:28 PM. Reason: UPDATE!

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast