Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: LX280 cutting issues

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-04-2014 @ 02:20 PM
    Thanks

LX280 cutting issues

I hope you guys can help with a little issue i am having...
    Last summer i bought a 2005 LX280 in good condition. It cut fine and ran just as good. This mower has a 48" blade housing (3 blades). This summer i noticed that an uncut line was being left in my cut grass. This line is about an inch wide just inside the passenger tire. I figured it was time for new blades anyway, so i replaced the blades, still had the line. I also checked and put the correct air pressue in all tires...still didnt help.
    Next, I went to adjust the deck. My measurements were
    Driver side: 2.5" off ground
    Passenger Side: 2.75" off ground
    Front: 2.5" off ground
    Naturally i went to lower the height of the passenger side but the adjustment screw is frozen and is screwed to the highest setting. So i raised the driver side but it could only go up about a 1/8". I adjusted the level of the front wheels to help level the deck somewhat until i can hopefully work the adjustment screw free. The remining grass i cut looked better but still wasnt perfect. Now my question, would leveling the deck eliminate this line? The grass isnt sloped as if a blade were unlevel. All of the cut area is cut perfectly beides this line. What could be the cause?

thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    k91

Last Online
    02-26-2016 @ 06:51 AM
    Thanks

You were spot on for checking the tire pressure first After that the deck needs to be level side to side and pitched about 1/4" lower in the front. The anti-scalp wheels are not supposed to ride on the ground but float about 1/4" inch above once you have the deck set correctly. If an adjuster is frozen you need to free it and get the adjustment you need. Soak it with your favorite penetrent like PB Blaster or something. It might need heat too to free it up. If you get it to within about 1/16" of an inch or so you won't be able to see tell the difference from it being perfectly level. If you still see your stripe you have an additional issue. You will need to check the blades underneath the deck and spin them wingtip to wingtip and make sure they line up. If one is out you have a bent spindle or possibly the deck itself is tweaked since you just replaced all the blades and I assume they are straight. Good luck
    Gizmo2 likes this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    07-21-2019 @ 01:57 PM
    Thanks
    I agree with what has been said so far. I would add that you need the check the front to back adjustment with the blades parallel to the direction of travel and for side to side they need to be perpendicular to the direction of travel. I happen to like Kroil for a penetrating oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Gizmo2 likes this.
    John Deere 318, 50in deck, 54in blade w/ power angle

Looking for JD Parts check here on JD's official parts website.

Have no idea where to start with JD Parts check here for a how to.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:39 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,820 Times in 2,850 Posts
    I'll add....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$(KGrHqEOKjcE6ZmVz0DwBOps)PG-8w~~60_35.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	16.9 KB 
ID:	30616

And also, Welcome to GTT
    felixm22 and k91 like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    thanks for the info guys. ill check everythign i can pretty soon but my main focus will be getting the adjustment nut unstuck. Looking at the diagram on the mower that shows what height the deck wheels need to be set, the front of my deck needs to come up a good bit. Its sitting pretty hard on the wheels while the back is perfect.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    I've managed to free all frozen nuts and ill have the deck level tonight. When leveling the deck, it says to place the blade height selector knob at cut height 2, which is the usual height i cut my grass. What should be my ground to deck height?
    Also, ill pick up a leveling gauge on my way home.
    Last edited by seapickle; 07-30-2014 at 12:23 PM.

9. Top | #7
    k91

Last Online
    02-26-2016 @ 06:51 AM
    Thanks
    2 should be 2" but that is not as important as long as it is close and both sides are within 1/8" or less if you can get it that close.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by k91 View Post
    2 should be 2" but that is not as important as long as it is close and both sides are within 1/8" or less if you can get it that close.
    never mind... thanks for the info
    Last edited by seapickle; 07-30-2014 at 02:21 PM.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    ok I attempted to level the blades today, long story short: no success. Here is a picture of my problem.
    This picture is after I had the mower deck perfectly level side to side and 1/8" lower front to back. I leveled the deck with a tape measure at 4 points. NEXT, I used the blade leveling tool. This was even worse. This caused the blade deck to be completely out of level when checking with a tape measure. Also, the cut was worse (no pictures b/c it was about dark out). It was like all 3 of the blades were at different levels now.

I noticed that all three blades don't line up. By that I mean, when I turn say the passenger side blade parallel to the axles; the middle blade is about a 1/4 turn off and the diverside blade is about 1/2 a turn off. is this how it is supposed to be?
    Last edited by seapickle; 07-30-2014 at 09:41 PM.

12. Top | #10
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:39 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,820 Times in 2,850 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seapickle View Post
    I noticed that all three blades don't line up. By that I mean, when I turn say the passenger side blade parallel to the axles; the middle blade is about a 1/4 turn off and the diverside blade is about 1/2 a turn off. is this how it is supposed to be?
    Blade orientation to each other will hardly ever be the same and will change with mowing.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast