2014 X534 RIO Override

Thread: 2014 X534 RIO Override

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    07-26-2014 @ 03:07 PM
    Thanks

2014 X534 RIO Override

There are several videos on the web on how this is done but it appears that JD has reworked the wire harness in this area. Following the instructions for the older models does not work. Does anyone have a workaround for the new machines? What is funny is that I actually cut the bottom two wires on the harness and connected them together and nothing changed. The PTO still engages and everything works fine, including the RIO. So, what is that connection even for?

Thank you in advance.

AO
    Last edited by ohanyan1; 07-25-2014 at 12:00 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:54 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,550 Times in 1,173 Posts
    Can you give us some more details on exactly what you are doing? I just performed this mod on my new X500 and didn't have any problems. I didn't have to cut any wires or anything.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Can you give us some more details on exactly what you are doing? I just performed this mod on my new X500 and didn't have any problems. I didn't have to cut any wires or anything.
    I'm a mess. Can you tell me exactly what you did?

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    06-21-2019 @ 10:29 PM
    Thanks

Rio

I have a new X324 and the instructions on the internet worked fine. Perhaps JD has changed the wiring harness by changing the color of the wiring. At any rate, I did not cut wires. You have to jumper across the switch with a couple of spade fittings attached to either end of one wire.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ohanyan1 View Post
    There are several videos on the web on how this is done but it appears that JD has reworked the wire harness in this area. Following the instructions for the older models does not work. Does anyone have a workaround for the new machines? What is funny is that I actually cut the bottom two wires on the harness and connected them together and nothing changed. The PTO still engages and everything works fine, including the RIO. So, what is that connection even for?

Thank you in advance.

AO
    I figured it out. Kind of a different way of doing things but it works.

I posted a video about it here:

IMG 1747 - YouTube

8. Top | #6
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:07 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,257 Times in 2,563 Posts
    Nice tractor and video.

However, I would change the wire nuts for a more permanent connection. Wire nuts are terrible on anything that vibrates or has any kind of movement. If you can, use the tried and true solder and heat shrink method, or at least use crimp connectors.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:54 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,550 Times in 1,173 Posts
    For what it is worth, your X534 is wired the same as all the X500's. There is a much easier way to accomplish that without chopping the wiring that involves just putting two spade connectors on a 1" piece of wire and jamming it in those connector holes. It is easily removable in 5-secs and does not disrupt anything. Another even easier method is to simply lift the PTO switch into the RIO position and jam the rubber part of your key chain under it. Someone else told me somewhere that's what the rubber keychain was for. I know they were joking but it is so stupidly easy and it actually works.

The reason the above methods are important is that if for any reason you would ever have to take your mower to the dealer for anything, they will be required to "repair" your RIO functionality before they are allowed to return the tractor to you and you will have to pay T&M for the repair. In your case they could decide a new wiring harness is required.

I know this sounds silly but most dealers have a policy that all safety features need to be functional before a piece of equipment can be returned to the customer.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    12-27-2016 @ 07:05 PM
    Thanks
    I have the X720. I used the end of a zip-tie to release the wires from the black plastic connector, wrapped a jumper wire around them, and then clicked them back into the connector. The RIO is fully bypassed, and the backup lights still work. The best part about it is that I did not cut any wires, and it can be returned to factory condition in a few seconds by removing the jumper. Spade connectors shoved into the back the connector to jump the connection are great too.

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements