JD SX95 Clutch problem

Thread: JD SX95 Clutch problem

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    07-28-2014 @ 12:47 PM
    Thanks

JD SX95 Clutch problem

Hey ya'll :-) I'm new here to this awesome forum but from surfing around I can already tell that THIS PLACE ROCKS!!

Here's the long story short (or at least as short as I can make it): I think the clutch or the "variator assembly" has gone out on my SX95. I bought the rear engine riding mower used three years ago for $300.00 bucks. Because of what I mow I tend to be hard on my equipment. So from what I could tell, I had no issues that led up the the problem. I went out to start the mower yesterday, it started fine but it will not move. No forward gears or reverse gear works. I removed a tire and watched the axle and it moved very slowly when in gear but if I held it in place there was no real pressure to keep it rotating. The engine runs, the mower deck engages. Both the clutch pedal and brake pedal seem to move appropriately.
    JD Parts wants $155 shipped for the assembly. I'm hoping someone here can help make sure Ive done everything I can to trouble shoot the machine before dropping the money on a $300.00 mower.

Thanks in advance

Benny

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    k91

Last Online
    02-26-2016 @ 06:51 AM
    Thanks
    first of all

Not very familiar with that model but before I dropped that kind of money throwing parts at it I'd start checking the basics. Inspect both belts for wear, cracks, burn spots or anything unusual. Also check all 3 idler pullies and make sure they are turning and free. I would also try to spin the input pulley on the trans by hand with it in gear and see that the axle still turns and you cannot stop it which may require a helper. Then see if you can remove the variator assembly and verify it is working freely. The center sheeve should freely move up and down. You may be able to lubricate it and get it working again if it is froze up. Lastly if you do have to replace any belts use JD belts only trust me they might cost more but if you want it to work properly nothing else is going to cut it. Good luck.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements