Need advise on what to buy - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree101Likes

Thread: Need advise on what to buy

1. Top | #11
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:44 PM
    Thanks
    I have the x580 and love it. Strong little garden tractor. If it were myself, and I was considering the x570, I would make it the x580. Now, I know people like to spend other peopleís money but I truly feel this jump up is a good one. You get the Hdap rear tires. This is big if you plan on pulling a wagon for yard work or anything else. Great improvement in traction. You also get power steering, which is the greatest thing since sliced bread on a lawn tractor. You also get hydraulic deck lift. Now, I canít remember, but I would check on the transaxle serviceability. You can change the filter and oil on the 580, but Iím not sure about the 570. I know one has a K72A and one has a K72B, and I canít remember what the differences are.
    Levi, BigJim55 and Robnik like this.
    Yancey

2017 2038R 220R loader
    Frontier 72Ē rear blade
    Frontier 60Ē box blade
    Frontier 65Ē tiller
    Frontier subsoiler
    Frontier 60Ē landplane
    Frontier 42Ē pallet forks
    Frontier 72Ē RC 2072
    HH toothbar KBOHís bucket hooks
    2019 X758 60HC deck
    Model 80 trailer

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #12
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:16 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,245 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yank View Post
    Now, I canít remember, but I would check on the transaxle serviceability. You can change the filter and oil on the 580, but Iím not sure about the 570. I know one has a K72A and one has a K72B, and I canít remember what the differences are.
    The difference is hydraulic lift and power steering. When you have those the transmission will usually have a replaceable filter. I suspect it is because dirt can more easily get introduced into the system. With the X570 transmission you can only do transaxle oil changes.

I look at it more as the extra hydraulic functions requires the filter more than the filter being an enhancement.
    Levi, BigJim55, Robnik and 1 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. Top | #13
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:16 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,245 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yank View Post
    I have the x580 and love it. Strong little garden tractor. If it were myself, and I was considering the x570, I would make it the x580.
    I believe his original consideration was the X380 or X570. The X570 is already $1600 more. The X580 adds another thousand so now it is $2600 more. When I purchased my X500 I looked at the X530 which had the hydraulic lift and steering. The X500 already has steering that is easily controlled with one hand. If the OP is considering something like a snow blower in the future then I would definitely recommend getting the hydraulics but if just using the mower deck it's not necessary. I've also never read where anyone broke the lift handle on a manual lift but lots of reports of broken lift handles with the hydraulic lift. Minor yes, but weird none the less.
    BigJim55, Robnik and Yank like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #14
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:06 PM
    West of Carlisle PA, At the base of the Mountains
    Thanks
    What about a 318, 345, 425, or 445.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Levi, 69project, Robnik and 1 others like this.
    1998 955, 70A Loader, 54 Blade, 72 Deck
    1995 F525
    1957 Farmall Cub - Technically belongs to my son.

If it ain't broke, You're not trying. - Red Green

7. Top | #15
    Last Online
    09-18-2019 @ 10:46 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cobalt220 View Post
    I have about 15000 sq feet of grass to mow. The back of my yard is 90 feet wide and the last 30 feet has about a 20 degree slope. I would like to use a sprayer and lawn aerator. What would you recommend. I was thinking an x380 or x570, are these both overkill for this size yard. Thanks any advise would be appreciated.
    overkill? no such thing with a tractor.. buy the biggest you can afford .. buy a tractor not a lawn mower
    Levi, Gebada22 and Yank like this.
    1935 jd model D
    65 110 rf
    77 jd 80 cart
    83 420 rear pto, 3 point hitch
    88 332 46"deck s
    89 420 60" deck
    89 318
    jd #8 chainsaw (remington)
    2)jd 35ev chainsaws (echo)
    jd 50v chainsaw (echo
    jd 60v chainsaw (echo)
    jd 70v chainsaw (echo) sold
    jd 80ev chainsaw (echo)
    jd cs40 chainsaw (efco 940)
    husqvarna 240 chainsaw
    husqvarna 372xp chainsaw
    husqvarna 455 chainsaw
    2)dolmar 117 chainsaws
    dolmar 100 chainsaw

8. Top | #16
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:23 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,539 Times in 1,422 Posts
    Best thing to do in selecting a new tractor or mower is to go drive the different models and see how you fit on them and what you like and don't like. It's the most efficient way to determine whether you want power steering or what other options you may want.

Since you are in Florida, you should be able to test the machines year around.

Personally, I would stay away from the "D" or the new "S" entry level machines as they don't have long term hydrostatic components and grades are very hard on them. As others have mentioned, you want a machine with a spin on transmission or transaxle filter. I would also suggest a machine which is liquid cooled with a radiator as those machines tend to last much longer.

There are many great used x5xx and x7XX machines which are very good overall lawn tractors. You can get into the older machines like was also suggested in the 318, 425, 445 and even the 455, which has the Yanmar Diesel engine. I happen to have a 455 which I bought new 22 years ago and it's been a wonderful machine. But these tractors are starting to get out there in years and may require some seal replacements, etc. as would any 20 plus year old machine.

There is no replacement for simply trying the different machines yourself at the dealership. You will quickly find things you like and things which you don't care for in other machines. Short of driving them your self and trying them out, you can spend a ton of time considering machines on paper which you may rule out in a hurry when you try them.

As far as justifying the machine with your wife, just explain to her that having a John Deere is proven to be a stress reliever for husbands and they tend to be happier, healthier and live longer, more fulfilled and meaningful lives........Hey, she might believe all of that, it's worth a shot.......

Plus tell her how much she means to you and how you are sure she would want you to spend the least amount of time on the lawn maintenance so you can spend more quality time together. Plus, not paying the lawn service frees up money for a tractor payment at Deere's 0% financing........

If none of the above convince her, just tell her all of the other guys have one and it's not fair if you don't....That should do it.

Let us know how it goes and what you end up with and of course, post pictures.
    jd2854020, Levi, nastorino and 1 others like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

9. Top | #17

Last Online
    04-06-2018 @ 06:03 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks to everyone for the great advice, especially the wife angle Iím still laughing. I will definitely go drive the tractors to see what feels comfortable. I donít think that the power steering and lift is really need on my size lawn. I had also been wondering about the hdap tires, maybe if I buy the x570 the dealer can throw them into the deal along with the mulch kit.Any thoughts to both of those items, do the tires tear the lawn and does the mulching kit work well. We have zoysia grass.
    Levi, SulleyBear and Yank like this.

10. Top | #18
    Last Online
    10-11-2019 @ 09:47 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,899 Times in 1,065 Posts

This comes to mind.
    Last edited by Levi; 01-07-2018 at 07:28 AM.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1Ĺ" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

11. Top | #19
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:23 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,539 Times in 1,422 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cobalt220 View Post
    Thanks to everyone for the great advice, especially the wife angle Iím still laughing. I will definitely go drive the tractors to see what feels comfortable. I donít think that the power steering and lift is really need on my size lawn. I had also been wondering about the hdap tires, maybe if I buy the x570 the dealer can throw them into the deal along with the mulch kit.Any thoughts to both of those items, do the tires tear the lawn and does the mulching kit work well. We have zoysia grass.
    You will really be surprised about the usefulness and practicality of power steering, even on 1/3rd of an acre. Many members on here mowed without P/S and when they tried a machine with P/S, they were shocked at what they have been missing. Actually, a smaller lawn means more turns and makes the P/S even more practical and necessary.

As far as the tires go, dealers (good and great dealers and I sure hope you get one of these) will pretty much do whatever they need to make the transaction complete. I am completely unfamiliar with Zoysia grass so I can't comment about that.

The mulching kit is a personal choice. I have never seen the need for one as I always cross cut my lawn at 90 degree angles. A different angle each week so there are no "worn tire patterns" or indentations in the lawn.

I would ask the dealer about a "Striping Kit" and if they work on Zoysia grass. The striping kit is what makes the professional baseball fields have the "stripes" you see on TV or should you attend the game. It's really nothing more than a small roller mounted on the rear edge of the deck which slightly bends all of the grass in your direction of travel, creating the appearance of a stripe. I like the look of stripes on a lawn.

I also suggest you go to the "Build Your Own" section of the lawn tractor site on Deere's website and check out all of the options, accessories and implements available to make the caring for your lawn more efficient. The lawn tractors use a "Click and GO" mounting approach for many things, such as the rear sprayer and it's a very well thought out method for quickly changing tools on your tractor and not requiring tools.

Here is a link to the section of the Deere Website which deals with attachments, etc for lawn tractors. (See, we are a full service forum to make spending your money as easy as possible )

https://www.deere.com/en/attachments...r-attachments/

One last thing to consider, is all wheel steering (AWS). Some swear by it and other's swear at it. Its designed for very tight turning radius's and for achieving mowing around trees and other obstacles and minimizing the string trimming. AWS requires power steering which is included on many of the tractors.

Please make sure to report back to us and let us know how it goes and what you like and what didn't suit your needs. It's helpful for others in the future who search and read this thread plus, the rest of us like to live vicariously through the shopping and spousal purchase convincing exploits of others....... Plus we like photo's, lot's of photos.......

And if you need help with convincing your wife, try my suggestions and if they don't work, let us know and we will use our collected "wife wisdom" to provide more information to get you in trouble......It's the least we can do......

Levi, 89420 and Yank like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SulleyBear For This Useful Post:

Levi†(01-08-2018)

13. Top | #20
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:44 PM
    Thanks
    I agree, Sulley. This was the first lawn tractor I had with power steering. I fell in love. Can turn it with one finger. Itís definitely one of those things you donít know you are missing til you try it. But, I have a big yard. My property is 7 acres, roughly 2.5 to 3 gets mowed. These machines last a long time, get what makes the job easier. Everyone regrets one thing or another. I wish I would have went for a X7 series with a diesel. I would love to have a one fuel setup. I also think the X5 and X7 gas engines are thirsty. I use 5 gallons each mow. Point being, try it out. Donít shrug off the little things. They do matter.
    Levi, SulleyBear, 89420 and 1 others like this.
    Yancey

2017 2038R 220R loader
    Frontier 72Ē rear blade
    Frontier 60Ē box blade
    Frontier 65Ē tiller
    Frontier subsoiler
    Frontier 60Ē landplane
    Frontier 42Ē pallet forks
    Frontier 72Ē RC 2072
    HH toothbar KBOHís bucket hooks
    2019 X758 60HC deck
    Model 80 trailer