Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Hire John Deere Mechanic For Purchase

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-08-2019 @ 01:54 PM
    Thanks

Hire John Deere Mechanic For Purchase

Ok, I don't know much about lawn mowers but am looking for a 38" or 42" mower. I found one on craigslist that is a 2003 LT150 that looks intriguing. It has some wear and tear it looks like from the pictures. I am wondering if it's alright to approach the local John Deere shop to ask if anyone would be interested in going with me to look at it. It looks like a good price otherwise I would buy a new one from the dealership. Thanks! This is the link to the listing John Deere riding lawn mower.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    08-18-2019 @ 12:20 PM
    Thanks
    To me that ad makes no sense.

It's well used, but was a house warming present that is too big.
    Dad bought it new? So we're did all the use come from?
    Ripped bags and unsure of the year his dad bought it new?

Something is not right. But I think you might have trouble getting a dealer to help.
    Just my 2 cents.
    Gizmo2 likes this.

4. Top | #3
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sawdust View Post
    To me that ad makes no sense.

It's well used, but was a house warming present that is too big.
    Dad bought it new? So we're did all the use come from?
    Ripped bags and unsure of the year his dad bought it new?

Something is not right. But I think you might have trouble getting a dealer to help.
    Just my 2 cents.
    Add to the above...It is too big for his yard, yet a bigger tractor sits right behind it, in one photo?
    felixm22 likes this.
    If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    The dad bought it brand new, used it for however many years then gave it to the son as a house warming present. I'm guessing the mower is not sitting in his shed, I'm guessing it's sitting in the dad's shed or someone else's.

You say it would be tough to get a mechanic out there, why is that?

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    04-11-2019 @ 09:17 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by farmgirl19 View Post
    Add to the above...It is too big for his yard, yet a bigger tractor sits right behind it, in one photo?
    That's not a tractor in the background - it's a mud bogger on (I think) 2.5-ton narrowed military axles.

Looks pretty beat up for an 11 year old tractor.
    -Scott-

2014 1025R - 60D 7-Iron MMM, H120 53" FEL/Ballast Box, Ken's hooks and Piranha toothbar, BB2048L Boxblade, 54" snowblade Quick-tatch w/full hydraulic lift/tilt.

You don't have to outrun the bear......just the other campers

8. Top | #6
    GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC) farmgirl19's Avatar
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts
    BTW krusej23...

If man had enough horse sense to treat his wife like a Thoroughbred, she'd never grow into an old nag.

If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride!

Happiness is contagious; Be a carrier!

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:02 AM
    Thanks
    Sawdust and Farmgirl pointed out the inconsistencies in the ad, and they made some good points. Now a little info on the tractor itself. The LT150 was the entry level lawn tractor in Deere's lineup in that year. It will have a 15 hp air cooled single cylinder Kohler Command engine and the light duty Kanzaki K46 transmission with the foot control forward and reverse. They were good little units, build on an unibody frame, but they were still entry level. The LX200 series were better quality lawn tractors in the day. You can find more info here in the 7th post.http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...brochures.html The LT150 was made from 2002 to 2005.

The K46 transmission has garnered a bad reputation over years as being weak and there been reports of early failures. I think mostly from being used beyond the design of the unit. I haven't heard much trouble though with this transmission in the LT series as much as I have the L-series. The Kohler Command engine is commercial grade and are real good engines. These are nice little tractors that have held up well over the years. That one looks to be used judging by the torn seats, and the dirt accumulation on the overall unit. In my opinion price is about right, but getting it for less isn't a bad idea. If your'e not sure what you're looking for when checking this unit out, find a good friend who is knowledgeable in mechanical issues and can hear when there are unusual noises in engine and transmission. Check the oil level in the engine (the K46 is a sealed unit therefore you can't check the fluid lever in it). Warm it up a few minutes, drive it around, engage the blades, listen for whining in the transmission under load, noises in the engine under load and at idle, etc. Check to see if the steering is tight, but not too tight. The LTs should have great turning radius with easy to steer feel when turning. Check to see if the park brake holds. Check to see if the deck blades aren't wobbly or noisy. These are the usual things that can go wrong on all lawn tractors.

Good luck and
    Last edited by T-Mo; 08-03-2014 at 06:38 PM.
    Without ice cream, there will be darkness and chaos!
    Olympian Don Kardong

1965 110s, 1966 110, 1967 112, 2001 LT150, 2003 GT245, 2004 GX345, 2006 X320

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Mo View Post
    Sawdust and Farmgirl pointed out the inconsistencies in the ad, and they made some good points. Now a little info on the tractor itself. The LT150 was the entry level lawn tractor in Deere's lineup in that year. It will have a 15 hp air cooled single cylinder Kohler Command engine and the light duty Kanzaki K46 transmission with the foot control forward and reverse. They were good little units, build on an unibody frame, but they were still entry level. The LX200 series were better quality lawn tractors in the day. You can find more info here in the 7th post.http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...brochures.html The LT150 was made from 2002 to 2005.

The K46 transmission has garnered a bad reputation over years as being weak and there been reports of early failures. I think mostly from being used beyond the design of the unit. I haven't heard much trouble though with this transmission in the LT series as much as I have the L-series. The Kohler Command engine is commercial grade and are real good engines. These are nice little tractors that have held up well over the years. That one looks to be used judging by the torn seats, and the dirt accumulation on the overall unit. In my opinion price is about right, but getting it for less isn't a bad idea. If your'e not sure what you're looking for when checking this unit out, find a good friend who is knowledgeable in mechanical issues and can hear when there are unusual noises in engine and transmission. Check the oil level in the engine (the K46 is a sealed unit therefore you can't check the fluid lever in it). Warm it up a few minutes, drive it around, engage the blades, listen for whining in the transmission under load, noises in the engine under load and at idle, etc. Check to see if the steering is tight, but not too tight. The LTs should have great turning radius with easy to steer feel when turning. Check to see if the park brake holds. Check to see if the deck blades aren't wobbly or noisy. These are the usual things that can go wrong on all lawn tractors.

Good luck and
    I appreciate the help on this. Would it be able to pull an aerator behind it? I will see if I can get someone to help me when I go there. Thanks again!

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    I am trying to decide between this LT150 or a brand new D110 that is listed for $1700. I have about a 1/3 acre lot that I mow and then I would like to be able to aerate with it too. If the LT150 is in decent shape, I would like to save the money and then I can fix it up with money saved.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to krusej23 For This Useful Post:

RLstangs(08-03-2014)

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    08-20-2019 @ 09:52 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,654 Times in 1,086 Posts
    The others have offered some great input on the tractor, not much I can add there.

Your original question was about hiring a JD tech to come along for a pre-purchase inspection. That's a great question in general, because it applies to any used purchase.

The outfit I work for will gladly do pre-purchase inspections for customers. We've inspected equipment for existing customers that were looking to add on, and folks we've never heard from before that are looking at buying a used machine that's the brand we're a dealer for. Everything from one unit sitting in the back of a construction company's yard to 40 machines going up for auction when a company closed down. Dealers and shops differ though, some may not want to pull a tech from an existing customer with multiple machines to go evaluate a lawn or garden tractor.

The trouble right now, and for the next couple of months, is that ag shops are generally pretty busy. There's new equipment being setup, and they have existing customers that are commercial farms that require on-site field repairs, plus all the clients of every size that have the dealer do their maintenance. They may be anywhere from a couple of days to a couple of weeks before they have a field tech with an opening in their schedule to look at the machine you want evaluated. It will probably be costly as well, expect to pay a 'trip' or 'service call' fee in addition to the regular hourly rate for a field tech. Hourly rates for field techs are sometimes more expensive than shop rates, and the service call or trip fee can be an extra hour's labor or so. With shop rates anywhere from $60-80 per hour or more, it can add up.

Depending on your mechanical abilities, it can certainly be worth having a tech come out to look at a machine. I just wanted to give folks an idea what that may involve.
    -Blake

Your mileage may vary.

JD 6410
    Some other stuff

YouTube- Life in Wyoming

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast